IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter Before Claim - UKPPO

Options
Hi everyone,

After receiving this 'Letter Before Claim' from UK Parking Patrol Office, I'm wondering what my next move should be. Attached is a Google Drive link to a PDF I've compiled.

hxxp://!!!!!!/2JBgY3Q

As seen on the first and second page of the LBC, they're intending to commence legal action to recover the amount of £665.02 from 4 separate parking charge notices, one dated from July last year and 3 from September. On page 3, they've attached a DEFENDANT'S REPLY FORM, which states my reason to reply based on their legal action.

I've replied to them via e-mail stating that this is the absolute FIRST I have heard about the 4 parking charge notices and the fact that it's gone this far without any debt collectors letters or correspondence from themselves and leads me to believe I am in a difficult situation.

Since the e-mail to UKPPC, I have been in an e-mail chain with them disputing the delivery/the acceptance of these letters and as a matter of 'good-will', they will knock the amount outstanding to £600.00.

I'm trying to keep this thread short and sweet, as from previous forum posts on MSE, I understand the complexities of where this may lead me. After replies directly with 'Karen', from 'UKPPO Legal Department', I've got 7 days worth of correspondence between myself and Karen and will post if requested. As a slight summary of where I'm at with replies from Karen, she's telling me to dispute the letters I've not received from the debt recovery company called 'Debt Recovery Plus', and the £600 outstanding still stands. Based on the original 30 days, I'm now left with 7 days. I have also mentioned that I am absolutely in no way disputing the original parking charge notices and I'm more than willing to pay the initial figure of each notice, just not this figure based on their inability to tell me where this inflated number comes from.

According to the date on the letter, the LBC was sent on the 20th March, but unfortunately, I'd received the letter on the 1st of April, so this instantly took 11 days off the 30 days they'd given me to respond/make payment. Karen has seemingly signed off today's reply with a rather informal 'Balance to be paid within 7 days'.

I would absolutely love some support with this matter and I am unbelievably grateful of any time spent with me on this.

(A slight spelling giggle from the letter - looks like they can't copy and paste a link from a URL bar...)

Kind regards,

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://!!!!!!/2JBgY3Q

Start with post 2 of the NEWBIES where you will find guide to court by bargepole which includes how to reply to a LBC.

Unfortunately in your emails to the scammers you have probably given away the driver's identity. There's nothing that can be done about that now though if that's the case.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not seen a UKPPO claim before, I suspect they will muck it up and are just getting over-excited at the thought of intimidating you and the fact that a larger sum than just one PCN is at stake.

We do help people win 99% of defended claims.

We hope you didn't go and say who parked on each occasion?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Elmo111
    Elmo111 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Not seen a UKPPO claim before, I suspect they will muck it up and are just getting over-excited at the thought of intimidating you and the fact that a larger sum than just one PCN is at stake.

We do help people win 99% of defended claims.

We hope you didn't go and say who parked on each occasion?

Hi Coupon-Mad!

I've not stated who parked on each occasion. In the e-mail correspondence with UKPPO, I'm simply reiterating I haven't received the debt collectors letters or any previous letters from UKPPO other than this LBC. However in the e-mail trail Karen from UKPPC is starting each e-mail with 'Dear *last name*'.

In one of the replies, I'm not denying the PCN are payable, I'm disputing the large figure they're charging me based on absolutely no prior contact from them.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Are you saying you have received nothing, no PCN on the car, no Notice to Keeper letters in the Summer/Autumn?
  • Elmo111
    Options
    Are you saying you have received nothing, no PCN on the car, no Notice to Keeper letters in the Summer/Autumn?

I absolutely do not recall any PCN on any occasion on the vehicle - and likewise, no Notice to Keeper letters. (what even are they?!)...

UKPPO are stating that they have sent 1 letter per PCN, sticking to the £600.00 charge and given details to contact the debt recovery company to query why I have never received letters from them.

The language used in the last e-mail from UKPPO also appears to carry a frustrated tone with my requests for information.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Who cares about their frustrated tone, hit them with your angry 'I am not a mug' tone!

Did this 'Karen' send you copies of all PCNs and all NTKs and a picture of the contract (the signage terms) and proof in the form of all photos taken of the car on those material dates?

If not, ask for them all, and ask whether UKPPO seeks to bring claims under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (Schedule 4) or against the driver. If the latter, where is their evidence to identify that person?
  • Elmo111
    edited 11 April 2018 at 1:23PM
    Options
    Who cares about their frustrated tone, hit them with your angry 'I am not a mug' tone!

Did this 'Karen' send you copies of all PCNs and all NTKs and a picture of the contract (the signage terms) and proof in the form of all photos taken of the car on those material dates?

If not, ask for them all, and ask whether UKPPO seeks to bring claims under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (Schedule 4) or against the driver. If the latter, where is their evidence to identify that person?

Currently awaiting a reply after asking for the evidence you requested, thanks again Coupon-Mad.

They seem to reply at the very final hours of each 9-5 working day, to prevent a further response until the next day I imagine?

Do you think I should contact Debt Recovery Plus asking if they have recorded delivery for each supposed letter sent?

In my next e-mail I'll hit them with a question of their intentions. Out of curiosity, at this point (with only 7 days left until they draw up some kind of claim), what should I be expecting of their replies?

Thanks again for your time.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ignore DRP. Theyre not part of the process.
    They will not have any proof of posting anything.
  • Elmo111
    edited 11 April 2018 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Ignore DRP. Theyre not part of the process.
    They will not have any proof of posting anything.

Hi nosferatu1001,

On request of coupon-mad, I've e-mailed UKPPO and they have responded with the attached evidence of the vehicle parked with the PCN's affixed to the windshield. They've not responded with any of the NTKs or the signage terms.

Here is their reply to my request for the information of each individual PCN and how they're calculating the £600.00.

to, XXXXXXX

Please see the attached photographic evidence, confirming both that a contravention took place and that a PCN was placed on the vehicle for notification purposes. Without evidence to the contrary, I must assume that, on the balance of probabilities, that this PCN was duly received.

Please note that a PCN and further correspondence was sent to the vehicle's registered address for notification purposes. If there has been a problem regarding the delivery of the documentation, this is a matter to raise with your postal service.

Under The Interpretations Act 1978:

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression !!!8220;serve!!!8221; or the expression !!!8220;give!!!8221; or !!!8220;send!!!8221; or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post..

The initial cost of each PCN is £100.00 was due within 28 days, reduced to £60.00 if paid within 14 days. We are still willing to accept £600.00.

Attached is a Statement of outstanding balance which includes details on how to pay.

Thank you for your time, nosferatu1001.
  • Elmo111
    Options
    Just bumping this to the top, I'm feeling this unnecessary pressure based on UKPPO's impeding deadline that they've given me - now 5 days.

Any help in composing a response to the last email from UKPPO is massively appreciated.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport