Will my first insurance always be ridiculous?

smipsy
smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 13 April 2018 at 3:43PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi everyone!

Due to a possible new job (within 6 to 12 months) I have been looking around for used cars and their respective insurance costs.

I have passed my driving test in December, 2017. However, I'm not a young driver in the doomed category of 18-25. I'm in fact 27, soon 28.

Cheapest car I was able to find would have been a £1200 15 year old Polo (in good condition though, with only 35k miles, my neighbour hasn't been driving it for 2 years now as she's too old and wants to sell it). Admiral was the cheapest with around £850.

The car which I would really like though is a £4000 C220 CDI (2009), for which insurance wants around £2500 :eek:

So I have decided Polo it is :D

Now with that out of the way, do I just have no choice and have to bite the bullet and pay the insurance for the first year, and hope that my insurance goes down later on? Or should I maybe just wait until I have the licence for at least a year, even though I don't drive? (if that even makes any difference)

Additionally, another neighbour, and a good friend, has two cars, of which he doesn't use one. If he adds me on his policy as a main driver for the unused car, would that be against the rules? Would it eventually help my own personal insurance costs when I want to take it?

Just juggling it all out, if anyone has any advice, do let me know! Thanks much!

edit: bonus question! I've only now just realised something: Is it illegal to use the new prospective job title/sector for the quotes? I've only just now thought of it, and that obviously might be wrong, since I don't have this job yet.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Be wary of the Polo if it hasn't been driven for 2 years, know anyone who is a mechanic.

Why would you like a C220 CDI ? Might have to put that idea on ice for a while.
    The first year can be costly, it can go down as you gain more driving experience.
  • smipsy
    edited 13 April 2018 at 4:09PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Be wary of the Polo if it hasn't been driven for 2 years, know anyone who is a mechanic.

Why would you like a C220 CDI ? Might have to put that idea on ice for a while.
    The first year can be costly, it can go down as you gain more driving experience.

The Polo is only ever taken out for MOT, which it has passed (current one is valid until October or so). Sadly, I don't know any mechanics.

C220 CDI is a car I've driven abroad over a course of few months, and fell in love with it. But don't worry, this dream was shattered by the insurance costs, and I'm no longer considering it :D
    Only used it as an example of really high insurance costs :D
  • DCFC79
    smipsy wrote: »
    The Polo is only ever taken out for MOT, which it has passed (current one is valid until October or so). Sadly, I don't know any mechanics.

C220 CDI is a car I've driven abroad over a course of few months, and fell in love with it. But don't worry, this dream was shattered by the insurance costs, and I'm no longer considering it :D
    Only used it as an example of really high insurance costs :D

So the polo was taken out for the MOT, as you get more driving experience which is shown by your NCB the cost comes down, some cars are costlier than others for example some cars insurers will view as a risk eg boy racers.

£850 for your first year of insurance for the Polo isn't too bad.
  • smipsy
    £850 for your first year of insurance for the Polo isn't too bad.

gotcha, that's all the reassurance I needed. I just didn't know what to expect and what's "normal", so the fact that the insurance almost costs more than the car threw me off

thanks much!
  • DCFC79
    smipsy wrote: »
    gotcha, that's all the reassurance I needed. I just didn't know what to expect and what's "normal", so the fact that the insurance almost costs more than the car threw me off

thanks much!

There's posts on here where the sons/daughters have paid more than what you paid for the first years cover.

Just remember when it comes to renewal to look for a cheaper quote and see if Admiral will match it.
    Oh check auto renewal isnt on your policy, unless your likely to forget about the renewal.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    There's posts on here where the sons/daughters have paid more than what you paid for the first years cover.
    I've posted in other threads recently about such matters. I'm twice the age of the OP (and a smidge) and don't yet drive, but am considering it, so went to get insurance quotes to set out the likely cost.

I used a 2010 Toyota Aygo with an automatic gearbox (speed of passing) as an example. I was quoted over a grand as a learner and over £2300 for my first year, dropping to below £1500 after 2 years and tumbling quite rapidly from there as I hopefully gather NCD.

For that first year only one insurer would even quote me, by 2 years post-test, just about all would, so it then became more competitive too. The broker said that my age and postcode were big ticks in the plus column.

So £850 sound pretty good to me, for such a youngster. At that price I'd seriously be considering it myself, but my quotes were prohibitive
  • smipsy
    BooJewels wrote: »
    I've posted in other threads recently about such matters. I'm twice the age of the OP (and a smidge) and don't yet drive, but am considering it, so went to get insurance quotes to set out the likely cost.

I used a 2010 Toyota Aygo with an automatic gearbox (speed of passing) as an example. I was quoted over a grand as a learner and over £2300 for my first year, dropping to below £1500 after 2 years and tumbling quite rapidly from there as I hopefully gather NCD.

For that first year only one insurer would even quote me, by 2 years post-test, just about all would, so it then became more competitive too. The broker said that my age and postcode were big ticks in the plus column.

So £850 sound pretty good to me, for such a youngster. At that price I'd seriously be considering it myself, but my quotes were prohibitive

awesome, thank you, that's exactly the kinda comparison I was looking for!

seems like £850 isn't that horrible at all. i do feel sorry for everyone in the 18-25 and 50+bracket, considering they start £2000 and above as a new driver.

looks like a no-brainer, take the £850, get a first year of NCB, and then it's smooth sailings after that!

again, thanks much! was just afraid I was missing some important step which drop my cost down, turns it's all fine, just simply expensive!
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is only an example but look at it this way................
    If someone with full NCD ( 70% ) pays £300 for their insurance then someone with no NCD loses that 70% discount so pays £1000.
    As has been stated , £850 for your first year is a brilliant price...grab it while the quotes still valid.
  • £850 is great! I've just passed, 26 years old, and looking at quotes for at least £1200 annual payment or around £1400 total by monthly payments
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure