Income Support - Direct Earning Attachment

2»

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do any of these strike a chord. If so do you remember where you were then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11812211
  • I kind of knew people would start to think it ludicrous that I couldn't remember.
    I was moving around a lot at the time due to personal problems which I don't want to go into., ALL my records from that time are gone such as payslips, bank statements etc. I cannot remember my email addresses used or which bank I was even with to begin finding out that information - it's not as simple as just simply thinking about it.

I know where I worked during that time yes, as to my hours I have no clue. The employer was a small independent shoe store that has now gone.

My basic question is, where do I stand in obtaining evidence (meeting transcripts, schedules of payments to myself) from them which they must have given they are demanding return of supposed income support overpayments. If they can provide evidence of the payments and that the meeting with said compliance officer even occurred (it was 8 years ago, are you telling me you'd genuinely remember a short interview so far back?) and what was discussed in said meeting and I could actually review that evidence, then if it turned out I had been overpaid then yes i'd pay back the debt.

I'm not trying to run away from it, it's completely ridiculous how some of you say you'd just accept and pay £3,000 to the DWP with no evidence other than the date of a meeting provided to them? are the above posters saying they'd just accept this? be honest.

All I'm really looking for is next steps as I'm just hitting a brick wall with the DWP - I just want the actual facts as to what the £2,700 is made up of and what occurred in that meeting that triggered the supposed overpayment proceedings. I also fail to understand how it's taken them 8 years to find me when I've been extremely find-able since those years.

Thanks for those offering help without judging.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If they can provide evidence of the payments and that the meeting with said compliance officer even occurred (it was 8 years ago, are you telling me you'd genuinely remember a short interview so far back?) and what was discussed in said meeting and I could actually review that evidence, then if it turned out I had been overpaid then yes i'd pay back the debt.

Yes without a doubt as it's something very rare. I do agree however that you should be sent exact dates and amounts of the payments and a reason why it's taken so long to get in touch with you.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is all a bit of a mess and I am not sure what happened after you asked them to look at the decision again. Did you make an appeal to a tribunal?

I think you are going to need some help if you still wish to challenge this. You need to get this help asap as it seems that they are unable to make direct payments from your employer (are you refusing to co operate with this?) The DWP do have other enforcement powers so this will not just 'go away'.

So make an appointment with CAB. Take any paperwork with you and write a bullet point summary of dates things happened before you go to make it easier to understand.

The other thing you can do is to make a Subject Access Report to the DWP to get all the paperwork that they hold on you.

Use this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    I did not think they would go back more than seven years with this sort of thing?

Why did it take so long?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • Thanks for the additional responses.

My next step is to go see CAB when I can to try and at least get somebody to own the issue either there or DWP to try and get me an exact schedule of payments. As I said, if I owe the money fair enough, but to ask for near on £3k with no evidence other than an interview date I'm just not prepared to lay down and accept it - mistakes can and do happen, particularly when DWP/HMRC are involved! I'm just hitting a complete brick wall when I'm trying to get any more additional information.

I'll fill out a subject access request to the DWP so thank you for that tip.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:49PM
    venison wrote: »
    I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday let alone what I was or wasn't doing 8 years ago, some benefit of the doubt might be an idea here?

I wouldn't remember where I was eight years ago today but I'd certainly remember whether I was working or claiming benefits dat that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure