PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I bought some quite expensive wool (not yarn) last year from John Lewis. as I was choosing it I noticed a moth crawling out of a ball.

So they can come in our homes in a number of ways.

I put all balls of wool in the freezer for a few days from now on.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Kittie,

Thanks for your very helpful posts......will research on U tube and elsewhere, and hopefully have a go towards Autumn.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am spinning very steadily, a little every day when the mood takes me, 3 ply and fine singles, it is taking quite a while but I decided to weigh what I have finished ie skeined and washed and thwacked and dried, Thwacking, which I do with the wet skeins against a metal garden table, shocks the yarn into straightening, makes a heck of a difference and then I dry outside, hanging each skein on its own hanger. I weighed it all, 900g so far, plenty more left to do. I also bagged it and pressed the air out then sealed it with the seal facility on my vac sealer. One angle on the right side and another on the left, so that the seals cross, it was a wide bag. That bagful is now moth protected

I never feel like knitting in summer but spinning is good, not hot on the knees, then I have a project ready for next winter with this yarn, al fresco as it is a useful knit, a layering overtop and a very easy knit with no specific measurements. Probably also some more garments as it is a nice grey but I am not deciding yet
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi my DGD sent me a pattern she got from Ravelry to make toy stuffed balls for my GtGD.one of the abreviations is SSK now I know that the Terry Morris is an american so the US abreviations are different to ours but for the life of me I can't think what SSK stands for Any Ravelry knitters on here ?
    JackieO xx
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Slip Slip Knit

Slip (knit-wise), Slip (knit-wise), Knit 2 together through the back loops
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Slip Slip Knit

Slip (knit-wise), Slip (knit-wise), Knit 2 together through the back loops

Thank you so much its been driving me nuts trying to work it out :):)

JackieO xx
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Always worth doing a google, there are some excellent sites out there, with videos, I watch them repeatedly until I 'get' something!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone into knitting socks kempswools.com has some sock wool in their clearance sale. £3.99 for 100g and £1.69 for 50g. The latter is towards the end of the pages.

Unfortunately you have to spend £30 to qualify for free shipping....but there are other very tempting wools in clearance!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    pws52 wrote: »
    Anyone into knitting socks kempswools.com has some sock wool in their clearance sale. £3.99 for 100g and £1.69 for 50g. The latter is towards the end of the pages.

Unfortunately you have to spend £30 to qualify for free shipping....but there are other very tempting wools in clearance!

Must resist! Must resist! (I’m doing the Fashion-on-the-Ration challenge and can’t afford to spend any more coupons on yarn this year).

To anyone else reading this, please remember that sock yarn is generally 4-ply, superwash and 75% wool, so hard wearing and warm. It can be used in any pattern that specifies 4-ply or fingering-weight yarn. 3-4x100g balls will make a long-sleeved jumper so, if you can get plain colours in the Kemps sale, you could knit an entire sweater for less than £16.

- Pip (yes, I have sock-yarn sweaters with more in the pipeline)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm resisting more wool too ...

However, what I'm after is a free knitting pattern for peony flowers. Have spent a while on Pinterest without finding what I'm after (which could be me and Pinterest not getting on) - anyone got any suggestions? I've got some poppy patterns, and I'm just wondering if I could do more petals of the petalled one, or more layers of the 'all-in-one', and see if I can cobble something I like the look of ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure