PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renta a living room on the house

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    It would not pass fire regulations for a start!
    Plenty of licensed HMOs around here seem to manage it - here's an example:

https://espc.com/property/3-south-oxford-street-edinburgheh8-9qf/927968
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Plenty of licensed HMOs around here seem to manage it - here's an example:

https://espc.com/property/3-south-oxford-street-edinburgheh8-9qf/927968

The original question was about renting out a living room as a bedroom! Not about spending thousands on turning it into a HMO
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The original question was about renting out a living room as a bedroom! Not about spending thousands on turning it into a HMO
    Well, in that example the living room has been turned into a bedroom. Doing so isn't necessarily going to breach fire regulations.

(and in Scotland the OP's example would already require to be licensed as an HMO)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How many bathrooms does the house have?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2018 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    You would need to check with your local council regarding their rules on HMOs.

Good point.

Mine had certainly started to get wise to this practice in recent years.

I had a lodger to start with on buying my first house and there was a brief spell of a 2nd lodger as well. I could have done what I pleased and squished in a 3rd lodger if I'd tried to use the sitting room as a bedroom at the outset. I wouldnt have dreamt of it - but the Council certainly put in regulations over the years that prevented anyone doing anything like that.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

With three unrelated occupants it is already an HMO. With four it is still an HMO though not licensable. The fire regulations are not particularly arduous for small HMOs of this type and converting the living room is unlikely to make a material difference.
  • anselld
    Options
    Good point.

Mine had certainly started to get wise to this practice in recent years.

I had a lodger to start with on buying my first house and there was a brief spell of a 2nd lodger as well. I could have done what I pleased and squished in a 3rd lodger if I'd tried to use the sitting room as a bedroom at the outset. I wouldnt have dreamt of it - but the Council certainly put in regulations over the years that prevented anyone doing anything like that.

I very much doubt they prevented it. They may have made it more difficult in practice.

The local licensing schemes tend to specify minimum room sizes and total amount of communal amenity space and facilities.

They do not specifically prevent conversion of a living room into a bedroom so long as the remaining communal space it sufficient to meet the demands of the specified number of occupants.
  • anselld
    Options
    How many bathrooms does the house have?

One bathroom is sufficient for four occupants. Why is that relevant?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 April 2018 at 9:34PM
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    One bathroom is sufficient for four occupants. Why is that relevant?

Not in my world it wouldn't be - but then I can't face the day without a shower. 4 people starting work at the same time and all wanting the bathroom/shower? Nightmare !!!
  • anselld
    Options
    Not in my world.

The OP asked about the "legal side" not your world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure