Taking in foreign exchange students... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• begumsuleha
    Options
    i have a spare room, live close t all the tourist attractions.

email if interesded.

[EMAIL="begumsuleha@netscape.net"]begumsuleha@netscape.net[/EMAIL]
  • emmie
    emmie Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I live near Oxford - host loads of students who study English at Oxford :j

OP mentioned hosting exchange students, would like to do that to :D
  • scantysaver
    Options
    We have hosted students (always girls) for a couple of years. They are usually from between 2 - 5 day stays. We enjoy the Dutch and Belgian students who are disciplined and polite.
    However, we found a lot of French girls very loud and inconsiderate. We have young children in bed early and they can be really loud, constantly banging doors etc. We also had problems with them smoking indoors, messing make-up on the carpet and have often needed to ask their teachers to get them to take a shower as their personal hygiene left much to be desired and their room really stunk!!

Pay is £13.25 per person per night and we take in 3 girls in a triple bunk (double bed below, single above). Its good money but is tiring as they are often awake and noisy till late and up really early as they are young and excited I guess! Some of the French students refuse to even try speak English which is frustrating as I don't speak a word of French, and I've had a couple pretending not to even understand sign language, eg offering a drink, etc.
    However the Dutch and Belgians are wonderful and far easier to take care of and all speak good English even if low on confidence initially in regard to their language; its nice to see them come along in their English even in such a short time.

I organised a lot of these host families last year.

6 trips. French kids, aged 13-18. One French "organiser", one French driver, 3-4 teachers.

Each coach came from a single school, so the kids knew each other and had chosen which of their mates they were going to be with in the host homes.

Kids had to be placed in 2s or 3s. It was not possible to ever take a single child.

As for the adults, the teachers could not stay at the same address as the children. The organiser and driver should be separate from the teachers. If the organiser and driver were the same sex they could share a room.

So if you aren't keen on putting up kids, then when you see adverts for host families, check out if you can take in the adults. However, there are a few extra things to think about if you're taking in the adults.

e.g. As the organiser, I liked it best when the driver/organiser/teachers could walk to the bus from where they were staying. This meant they weren't reliant on getting a lift from the host family. It also meant they were all first on the bus and last off - I thought "good for kid control" .... but I hadn't banked on French kids being like they are.... they were perfectly behaved. And polite. They'd greet each other with a handshake. Not like Brit kids, all scruffy, kicking each other, shouting and running around. None of that!

The "pay" was about £13/night for kids. About £15.50/night for adults.
    Trips were usually 4 nights long. So "earnings" would be:

kids: £13x4x3 - four nights, three kids = £156
    adults: £15x4x3 - four nights, three adults = £180

For that you had to provide:
    Breakfast, with a hot drink
    Packed lunch of: 2 filled rolls, piece of fruit, chocolate bar/cake, soft drink
    Evening meal: 2 courses
    Lift to/from the coach pick up point each morning/evening (walking up to 1 mile was acceptable). Coaches left by 8.20 and got back about 7pm

So ... it's worthwhile looking into this if you can. Find out what the rules/deal is in your local area. I even had people driving up to 15 miles to pick up the kids and drop them off each day - for them it wasn't about the money - it was about their own kids mixing with French kids.

If you've only got one single bedroom ... then still phone if you think you could offer a bed to one of the adults. You never know what needs the host organiser has - and it's different each trip. I had one where I had one male teacher and 3 female teachers. Always tricky placing one male teacher as he couldn't share (by the rules I was using) with the driver/organiser.

Every school is different. There are long and short trips. Every trip organiser company work to completely different rules, with different nationalities, requirements and expectations. So give the adverts a call and see what their deal is!
  • Poppycat1
    Options
    My first student of the year has just arrived. She is lovely. I would fully recommend taking students in. She is great with my two boys and taught my eldest a bit of French. She also bought some biscuits for me and some sweets and a game for my kids. Two Spanish girls coming tonight.

They are not always great but I find the majority are.
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
  • poshnosh
    poshnosh Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I would love to host students and have been doing quite a bit of research.

Please pm me if there are any companies in the manchester area, very close to the city centre
  • tanmu
    tanmu Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    We took in a french student on a placement at my kids' school back in January for 3 weeks and were paid £350. As I had to drop the kids off at school in the morning, it cost us no extra to take her along with me too. Also, I didn't really have to buy much extra in the way of food - just a bit more bread and sandwich fixings for lunch. Was very good money, She was an absolute delight and loved reading/playing/entertaining the kids. She was happy to spend time alone in her room as well as with us, and was very helpful around the house. I would definitely do this again!
    :heart2::heart2:On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur :heart2::heart2:

we're debt freeeeeeeeeeeee....FREEEEDOM!!! :j
    :T
  • tanmu
    tanmu Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    oh, if anyone is still interested, I found this site:
    http://www.lingoo.eu/become-a-host-family-information.html where you can register for free and select your own students.
    :heart2::heart2:On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur :heart2::heart2:

we're debt freeeeeeeeeeeee....FREEEEDOM!!! :j
    :T
  • hederahelix_2
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding hosting students if renting property via estate agent?

Thanks
  • mrflib
    mrflib Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys - my partner and I are interested in hosting exchange students. We're in Crayford, Kent (near Dartford/Bexley) and in Zone 6. Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction?
    Total Debt 31.05.2010: £4,500
    Overdraft: £1,700
    Credit Card: £2,800

Debt free target date: 31.12.2010
    Current Debt 11/12/10: £150
  • sweettea
    Options
    Hey

I'm 25 and live on my own. I would be interested in using my spare room and the extra money would be great. But I work with along commute so am up early and home late. Do you have to be around and providing food and meals etc? Or can you just offer a base, friendly face and support if needed.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport