Ryanair - not honouring discount offer

Hi,
Has anyone else come across this: I've tried to book a flight with Ryanair (Stansted - Oslo) choosing the cheapest fare option on their website. On the bottom of the page then a 10% discount offer to upgrade to 'Plus' popped up. I clicked on it and it said it added it. However, the total fare did not reflect the discount at all and there was now way of changing it. I tried live chat - completely useless as the person did not get the point. I phoned them up and they suggested it was a browser problem, but it isn't. Now I've written a complaint and await to hear but do not hold my breath. This could just be a website issue. But if they don't resolve it than it is misleading customers. Where would be the best place to highlight this? Advertising standards?

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you give us a breakdown of the amounts you were charged? The 10% offer would be reflected in the price shown, are you saying it charged you more than this?
  • Enibas
    Enibas Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Boris,
    I wanted to book for 2 people. The upgrade without the 10% discount would have been £74.32 per flight per person, making it £148.64 per person or £297.28 for the whole trip for the two of us. A 10% discount should bring the price down to £267.50 When I clicked on the discount offer, it says it upgraded to Plus. However, it quotes the total price on the top of the page as £297.28 (and which remains if I continue) which is the price without the discount. Hope, this makes sense.
  • Is that the price just for the upgrade, not for the whole flight? That seems excessive with or without a 10% discount. All it is is a cabin bag and priority boarding.
  • Enibas
    Sorry, I didn't make this clear - the price I mentioned is for the total flights not just the upgrade. The upgrade per person per flight is £32.51.
  • Then your 10% discount on the upgrade will be £3.25. You won't get a 10% discount on the whole flight for booking a £30 upgrade.
  • Enibas
    okay - that makes sense. However, that would still amount to a total discount of ca £13. And there does not seem to be a discount at all.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Enibas wrote: »
    okay - that makes sense. However, that would still amount to a total discount of ca £13. And there does not seem to be a discount at all.

The £32.59 is the discounted price. Have you added up the elements if you bought them separately?
  • Enibas wrote: »

As said above, the 32.51 was probably already including a 10% discount.

These are such small numbers. If you booked the upgrade because you thought it would give you 10% discount on the whole flight, that's your main problem...it was a very bad purchase. Rather than worrying about getting £3 off the upgrade you should be looking into cancelling it, if possible.
  • Enibas
    Thanks both. Indeed my mistake to think it was a discount on the whole flight (would have been too good to be true). But the way they present this 10% discount is still confusing. Nevermind - I needed these flights and upgrades whatever the discount anyway, so nothing lost, nothing gained.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport