£1 DDs to Charities

I've just been trying to set up several Direct Debits for a £1 a month on a dormant bank account (so I can use it for switching deals), but have noticed a lot of the charities have a minimum monthly donation of £2. So was wondering if it's worth setting up a list of any charities people know that will accept £1?

The only one I've found so far is Oxfam

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Most charities don't like £1 dds as they cost so much to process they're hardly worth it.

Lots of other options for DDs though, depending on whether you want to support something or just give money away.

A new (for me) one I tried recently is the firefighters charity lottery - £1 per month dd and you could win.... https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/donate/play-our-lottery/

My sign-up is so recent that I've not yet had a dd taken, so don't ask me how well it works (but I assume fine).
  • Post office savings will set up a direct debit on your card. It's only 1% but I just transfer in £2 month for the DD.

You can do the same with Tesco (again £2 pm DD)

If it's your desire, you can transfer the £48 (plus interest) to a charity of your choice once a year.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Post office savings will set up a direct debit on your card. It's only 1% but I just transfer in £2 month for the DD.

You can do the same with Tesco (again £2 pm DD)

If it's your desire, you can transfer the £48 (plus interest) to a charity of your choice once a year.
    I think most are thinking more about their interest than a charity, or they would be willing to give more than £1 (or £2) per month, which costs the charity more than a one off donation.
  • MONEYTREE_2
    MONEYTREE_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    That LittleDebits looks like payaquid.co.uk, which has been refused by GoCardless.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There have been a number of current account changes, probably to discourage the use of these accounts for savings and I wouldn't be surprised if the next move was to put a minimum spend on direct debits, to stop these meaningless trivial payments being used to satisfy the current rules.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    There have been a number of current account changes, probably to discourage the use of these accounts for savings and I wouldn't be surprised if the next move was to put a minimum spend on direct debits, to stop these meaningless trivial payments being used to satisfy the current rules.

Don't give them ideas!
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Don't give them ideas!
    Given that you can pay a minimum £5 to a credit card I can't see them doing this.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • MONEYTREE_2
    MONEYTREE_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Datlex ~ can you set up a DD to a credit card for £5 /month even if you never use that card from month to month?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    nobler wrote: »
    I've just been trying to set up several Direct Debits for a £1 a month on a dormant bank account (so I can use it for switching deals), but have noticed a lot of the charities have a minimum monthly donation of £2. So was wondering if it's worth setting up a list of any charities people know that will accept £1?

The only one I've found so far is Oxfam

You don't need to pay anything to charities or anyone else.

Just use Tesco Instant access and Tesco internet saver accounts to create direct dds to your accounts.

I have done this loads of times and always works.

HTHs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport