DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Amandadwi wrote: »
    Have got the dmp down to 9yeaes 3 months but is still suggesting Iva as first choice! Help!

Hi and welcome to the board, you've made great progress in just the time you've been posting on here, well done.
    Just wanted to add that it's perfectly acceptable to start a DMP and then move to a DRO or IVA, although not oossible to go from IVA to DMP, so if you are not sure, but feel you need to do something, I'd recommend starting the DMP and looking at IVA again in a few months.

Also to remember that IVA managers receive a payment, so are not impartial.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Bepop
    Bepop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everybody. I'd posted on Friday for advice regarding sending letters to my creditors. All posted on Friday. Can feel the anxiety starting to creep in. The doubt setting in. Not sure if I've done the right thing..need a wee bit of advice please. I wrote to two of my store card creditors..now thinking should I have paid them both off and closed the account? I could have transferred money from my overdraft? This would have meant I still owed the same amount (although instead of it being on two store cards) it would be on my overdraft. Would this have made more sense, which would have meant less two creditors? Is it too late now to do transfer from OD today and make payments to both store cards? Thank you for your help x
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 April 2017 at 9:22AM
    Hi all

Just spent a whole hour on the phone to Halifax. I had the strength to speak to them directly and challenge the £500 + interest they added on my account.
    Lots of going backwards and forwards, the lady saying they hadn't received payment by the 7th April and the payment plan has had to be reset starting in May :eek:

I quickly reminded them that I have letters dated the 12th April thanking me for my payments in line with the payment plan etc. I then said I would like to escalate this to a manager (get me) :D

I reminded them about my situation and how they were making things worse and so on.

An hour later and :j All interest refunded and payment plan still up and running with the assurance that ALL interest and charges stopped from now on :j

3 months ago I wouldn't have even had the balls to answer the phone to them let alone actually ringing them myself and challenging them.

Thankyou to all who have given me the strength to do things like this. I actually feel quite proud of myself :p
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Bepop
    Bepop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi motivated..well done you, without the wise words and support of this group, I don't know if I'd have got as far as I have. I'm so glad you got the strength to challenge your creditor, great result. I'm hoping for a wee bit of advice this morning from my earlier post. Hopefully will get a reply ASAP. Well done again x
  • motivated
    Bepop wrote: »
    Hi motivated..well done you, without the wise words and support of this group, I don't know if I'd have got as far as I have. I'm so glad you got the strength to challenge your creditor, great result. I'm hoping for a wee bit of advice this morning from my earlier post. Hopefully will get a reply ASAP. Well done again x

Hi Bepop
    I too wouldn't have ever had the courage to do things like this if it wasn't the amazing people on here. As for your questions I am still very much a newbie when it comes to DMPs. Although I don't think it matters how many creditors you have SC will organise things for you. Someone will definitely be along and be able to steer you in the right direction though.
    Well done for finding the strength to send your letters off and try not to worry about the process and being anxious is just part of the getting started bit. I was like you also but just 3 months in an already my stress levels are very low. I wondered whether I did the right thing too, now its the best thing I ever did and should have done it a long time ago.

Our DMP was up and running in a very short space of time and so far (apart from Halifax but sorted now) all of our creditors have been absolutely fine.
    M
  • motivated wrote: »

3 months ago I wouldn't have even had the balls to answer the phone to them let alone actually ringing them myself and challenging them.

Thankyou to all who have given me the strength to do things like this. I actually feel quite proud of myself :p
    M

You certainly should feel proud:T. Many congratulations on a job well done:j:beer:
  • motivated
    You certainly should feel proud:T. Many congratulations on a job well done:j:beer:

I don't know where this new me has come from :p
    M
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:00AM
    I wrote to two of my store card creditors..now thinking should I have paid them both off and closed the account? I could have transferred money from my overdraft? This would have meant I still owed the same amount (although instead of it being on two store cards) it would be on my overdraft. Would this have made more sense x

Really its swings and roundabouts, if it reduces the number of creditors, yet your debt remains the same, i would say do it.

Basically do whatever makes things easier for you, it wont make one iota of difference to how the creditors treat you.

I took 5k out of an overdraught when i started a DMP to use as an emergency fund, no one batted an eyelid.

Do whatever works best for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    .... I wrote to two of my store card creditors..now thinking should I have paid them both off and closed the account? I could have transferred money from my overdraft? This would have meant I still owed the same amount (although instead of it being on two store cards) it would be on my overdraft. Would this have made more sense, which would have meant less two creditors? Is it too late now to do transfer from OD today and make payments to both store cards? Thank you for your help x

As Sourcrates has already said - it really doesn't matter in the long run. You've not arranged the DMP as yet, have you - so you have time to do what works best for you. At the end of the day if you would feel better having fewer creditors overall, then go for it.

I started off with 14 of them and a couple of them never even put AP or AR or any other marker on my file. They just stopped interest -but they were the ones who I owed the least to and I guess they weren't that bothered. If I could have reduced the number of creditors I might have considered it - but at the end of the day the defaults will drop off your file regardless in 6 years, so it doesn't matter much. The only time it will is if it takes longer to get the much welcomed default (for example for me Halifax delayed it for a year - little *****).
  • motivated wrote: »
    Hi all

Just spent a whole hour on the phone to Halifax. I had the strength to speak to them directly and challenge the £500 + interest they added on my account.
    Lots of going backwards and forwards, the lady saying they hadn't received payment by the 7th April and the payment plan has had to be reset starting in May :eek:

I quickly reminded them that I have letters dated the 12th April thanking me for my payments in line with the payment plan etc. I then said I would like to escalate this to a manager (get me) :D

I reminded them about my situation and how they were making things worse and so on.

An hour later and :j All interest refunded and payment plan still up and running with the assurance that ALL interest and charges stopped from now on :j

M
    Well done Motivated for getting such a great result, so you should be proud as it can be so daunting talking to them 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure