The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Outlet Store Discount Finder tool discussion

Former_MSE_Michael
Former_MSE_Michael Posts: 95 Forumite
edited 11 December 2012 at 12:28PM in Shop but don't drop
articlealert2_banner.gif

Our new Outlet Store Discount Finder tool lets you search web and eBay outlets from some of the top retailers including M&S, House of Fraser and FCUK. Tell it what you want, the price and discount and it'll find it for you.

This is a brand new tool so it would be great to hear your feedback on the results it gives and any other suggestions you have to improve it.

Thanks!

Comments

• The outlet discount tool works a treat. I'm after a sofabed, and have been trawling the net looking for one, but this gave me a few options, quickly, on the same page. Same with a 3D TV. I'll definitely be using this one frequently.

Good job!
    Have you read the fantastic teen novel
    THE BLACK SHADOW?
    It's available on Amazon NOW!
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Rubbish (and I usually like the tools).

I was looking for boys clothes aged 8-9 years. You try.

It only gives you the choice of mens or womens.

If you go to the individual outlet it comes up with RUBBISH!

Could do better.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Towser wrote: »
    Rubbish (and I usually like the tools).

I was looking for boys clothes aged 8-9 years. You try.

It only gives you the choice of mens or womens.

If you go to the individual outlet it comes up with RUBBISH!

Could do better.

We know its missing a children's clothing filter. We're working on how to add it in at the moment. Of course though we're at the mercy of what stock the outlets have
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Towser
    Trying to find clothes for boys this age is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Full price or on sale. Hence me not receiving replies to my other posts because people just don't know.

No wonder certain retailers do better than others because they make it easier for you to find it in the first place.

I don't want to search through all the styles then to find out they are out of stock when you come to the size. There is so little stock at this age. Is that because they are at school most of the time and spend their time in school uniform?

Boys this age really don't like shopping so I tend to go for Next because I know it will fit because they don't want to go through the pfaff of trying it on. I did really want to try other brands but it is so00 difficult I will have to stick with Next for the mo.

As always cutting back not cutting out.
  • Great idea would be helpful to have sizing filter added for clothing even with a simple filter it returns ooodles but great idea and start much appreciated
  • Think it would go better if 'stationery' was spelt correctly under Rymans!
  • Towser
    I thought maybe I was a bit harsh but having tried it again I am trying to give constructive criticism.

The Key is in the Title "Outlet Store Discount Finder" As with so many websites "the finder" is not happening. Is this because there are just too many variables to cope with? Is this the reason there are not enough filters? Do you need better titles for the items initially? Size is so specific to the individual it is VERY important. Clothing is not fit for purpose if it does not fit. I just switch off after a few searches even though it says "don't always expect to find the size you want"

I have tried under key words too. Not happening!

I would work out what percentage type of stock you have (sum total of all the retailers) eg clothes, furniture, ect then base your filters around the highest percentages. (Pareto Analysis) Then the lower percentages can always be found in keywords if they have correct descriptive titles - you will have to work with your outlets here.

Eg.You have sold your tool saying "M&S, House of Fraser and FCUK." isn't most of their stock clothing? Therefore higher percentage needs specific filters especially size. I realise you have a finite optimum of filters hence above advice.

It depends what you want this tool for. For it to literally work and shift stock for the retailers or just another advertisement for them or whatever your agenda is.

I am genuinely interested in this thread and wait for replies. Hope this helps.

As always cutting back not cutting out.
  • Towser
    Anyway was that THE Martin Lewis in post 4? I feel bad now not being constructive as I usually am.
  • I just had a quick look at this and it looks like it's going to be very useful :)
  • Why when I look for mens shoes under £25 it brings up loads of trainers. When I put trainers into the keywords it only shows two items?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure