Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can cope with pale and interesting too but unfortunately it can so easily double up as looking tired and washed out!:rotfl:

In the winter months, a bit of slap does the trick but now that arms and legs are on show I need some help!:D I know what you mean about those leathery sunworshippers LL. Fortunately I'm not one of those. Most of the time we stay under an umbrella until the end of the afternoon unless we're walking somewhere briefly or swimming. I still seem to get a good tan and then I keep it going with fake when I get home. When I'm away I use suncream of course but also lashings of body lotion after my shower every evening.

I'm definitely going to go for a bit of a walk this afternoon. It's a glorious day here although I've no wish to join BH traffic. I used to belong to a gym and I can see its attraction especially if you join classes. I know I definitely need a commitment to others or I'd do little or nothing. That's where my dancing classes are really useful. There won't be many during the summer so I need to make sure I don't lapse.:o

I've spent some time trying on my holiday clothes today. The good news is that everything fits!:T As I suspected, I've plenty for daytime and for the beach clubs/pool/boats but it's evening stuff I'm short of. Some of it could do with a light iron so that's a job for later.:(

Hope everyone's having a good day whatever you're up to.:)
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    shanks77 wrote: »
    Sukeyboo you can join my pale and interesting club if you like. I am one of these people who go pillar box red then fade back to milk bottle white so have given up trying.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the good weather xx

Me too shanks - I’ve stopped trying to get a natural tan as, no matter how much sun cream I apply, I look like a lobster then it just disappears :(

Chanie - congratulations on your new job - hope you manage to negotiate the early release from your existing employment.

Today would normally be my Zumba class but it is not held on Bank Holidays - I have now gone down to a 4 day week with Monday being my day off :j - only downside of that is I don’t get paid for Bank Holidays anymore :(

LL - I would love to have the space for a home gym - I do an exercise DVD most days but could do more - I don’t really need to lose any weight but do need to ‘tone-up’ :p
  • maman
    Good news that you've cut your hours sukey.:)

You inspired me to get some exercise LL. I needed a couple of bits in Sainsbury's so took the scenic route along the river bank, probably about 3 miles in total. It was baking hot especially as I put leggings and socks on so that I could wear proper shoes.:)

Sainsbury's was packed with people buying for BBQs. Although I wouldn't move permanently to a hot country, one of the things I love is being able to rely on the weather to plan ahead. We've got things coming up the next two weekends but it could be pouring or freezing by then.:(
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 May 2018 at 7:12PM
    We had rather an interesting journey back from our trip to our holiday caravan in Wales yesterday.

We were almost home, on the M54 near Telford, fifteen miles to go, when the heavens opened. We got off at the next junction because the visibility was so bad. This is one of two junctions we can use to get home, but normally use the other one.

We had gone about a mile down the road when we came to a large flood. The water was shallow enough for us to go through it a little way to a filling station on the left, so that is what we attempted.

As we were just turning into the filling station, a lorry overtook us and started a tidal wave that came over our car and caused it to stall. We couldn't start it again. Then we noticed the water was rising really fast! It was up to the bottom of the car door. My husband said 'out now!' and I opened the door and got out and waded through two feet depth muddy water to get to the filling station shop. So did he.

The filling station forecourt was rapidly going under water but we managed to get to the shop along with about half a dozen others caught by the flood.

We were there for five hours. Our car was submerged up to the top of the headlights. Both sides of the carriageway were closed by the police and eventually when the water had gone down bit, the AA man with a lorry was able to get us away. Two people were able to drive away, us and three other vehicles had to be rescued.

Our car is a write-off and we have also lost our laptops, my husband's cameras and his musical equipment :(

But, things could be a lot worse. Apparently someone died in a similar flash flood not far away.

It's an experience I do not want to repeat.

This is it, although this looks to be after we were rescued; the water was far higher than this, the forecourt was all under water.
    https://www.shropshirelive.com/news/2018/05/28/heavy-rain-causes-flash-flooding-in-albrighton/
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • maman
    Oh you poor things. What a dreadful thing to happen. So pleased you and DH are safe and well. Stuff can be replaced.:)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    maman wrote: »
    Oh you poor things. What a dreadful thing to happen. So pleased you and DH are safe and well. Stuff can be replaced.:)

Exactly what I said to my husband, when he was upset about his musical stuff. The only precious thing to me (him) was OK.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What a terrible experience seven-day :eek: Thank goodness you both got out safely :T
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh My Lord, SDW. What an awful thing to happen. So glad you are ok. Im sorry your car and stuff got trashed but you and your DH got out safely. That's the main thing.

Take care. And cherish each other.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Well today I have butterflies in my tummy. The enormity of my new adventure is just starting to permeate into my consciousness :rotfl: I just hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew.

Last night I sat down and worked out my finances. I will be paying a bit more for this house than I originally budgeted for (don't they always end up costing more than we hoped for:rotfl:). This means I will have to try and do as much as I can myself. Now that the boys have their own commitments and are no longer single and fancy free (especially DS1with a new baby) they are not going to be able to help me as much as they did on the last move. I guess I will need to buy in help sometimes.

This time I will be largely alone. And it's a bit scary. Last time I moved house on my own I was 30 and a lot stronger physically. Oh well I'm sure I will cope. I will just have to pace myself and be patient. Not go at it bull at a gate. i will just have to keep reminding myself of the tortoise and the hare.

I wanted to change my life........looks like I have well and truly jumped into the deep end....:rotfl:
  • Well - I'm the evidence a woman (of more mature years) can manage it on her own if she has to LessonLearned. You have the advantage over me too of the workmen in your area are probably more reliable (they are notorious in this area for being very unreliable and you mention that they are and even "locals" will agree with you) and they are probably a higher average standard too.

Add that you will have more facilities to hand for doing things like eating out whilst work is going on than I had and that helps too.

So - go for it....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport