Xmas ideas for 70 year old man

Comments

• Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'd second the Bluetooth speaker. They can be found from £5 (shaped like a Christmas bauble - home bargains last year) to over £100 (Bose etc.). The bauble one is good to hang on the tree & mystify people by playing music with no obvious source (link to phone/iPad). Ones like the Bose type are really good linked to an iPad for internet radio listening or tv/film catch-up when you'd like the sound to be a bit better.

Some other type of experience day - knife forging/blacksmithing or...
    https://trulyexperiences.com/uk/immersive-wilderness-dining-experience-for-two-with-nomadic.html
    perhaps something inspired by what he likes to watch on TV?
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would make up a small hamper of foodstuffs you know he likes but a bit more special.
    Include some nice cheese and crackers (if he likes) maybe a small bottle of tipple and include some chocolates or special biscuits.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm glad it's still October
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    While not yet 70, I'd second the post about new razors, they are expensive, I like getting socks and single malt whisky- they all taste different if you like them, or they all taste horrendous if you don't.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Since he is very fond of his ancient Lexus, how about a Lexus-branded gift such as a keyring, umbrella or T-shirt? They have some things on their website but you could probably find things on eBay too.
  • BenjaG
    BenjaG Posts: 102 Forumite
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I'm stuck this year for ideas for OH

I did him an advent calendar one year and he's still got most of the miniature toiletries :o

He loves chocolates but he has weight issues so I don't want to give him too much. I'll probably get him a Hotel Chocolat Advent Calendar but struggling for other ideas

He has tons of toiletries which he hardly uses

Doesn't smoke

Any ideas?

The average Advent calendar with 200 g of chocolate has over 1,000 kcal. Ideal for a 70 year old with weight issues is replacing the chocolate with a FotoInsight photo Advent calendar!
  • Nightowl
    Nightowl Posts: 234 Forumite
    I would book an experience or trip away 'for him'... he'll need some company though so could work out well.
    Personally I would start my search on Groupon....ooh, what about a driving experience in a fast car, most men would like that. Or a bird of prey experience, whisky tasting?
    Good luck
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for all the ideas.

I disappeared off to TKMaxx yesterday, on my own for a change. This is the first time we've ever lived near one so it was a treat. I bought loads of things, a few essentials plus a few fun bits. My favourite was a gorgeous jumper for £16, I'd looked online but similar ones were well over £50.

Now, if I only had the skills to wrap things so they don't look like the cats breakfast :rotfl:
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Now, if I only had the skills to wrap things so they don't look like the cats breakfast :rotfl:

Make your own gift bags from wrapping paper for anything that isnt boxed. Look great and much much cheaper than buying gift bags from a shop.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Thanks for all the ideas.

I disappeared off to TKMaxx yesterday, on my own for a change. This is the first time we've ever lived near one so it was a treat. I bought loads of things, a few essentials plus a few fun bits. My favourite was a gorgeous jumper for £16, I'd looked online but similar ones were well over £50.

Sometimes local charities run wrapping stalling in town centres near to Christmas, if you have any near you that do that they'll wrap your gifts for you in exchange for a donation.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family