competition controversy! again.

Comments

• I agree TC are totally at fault and well done tocthe double winners!
    It definitely was advertised as a £3000 voucher prize but hey if it's different in the terms well who cares what they said!
    I mean giving someone who didn't follow the terms or really participate on the spirit of a chat a bigger prize is just very very lucky for them!
    Bit like winning the lottery but with a ticket for the wrong draw I guess!
    wish I had that luck! :rotfl:

perhaps it shows that these social media competitions need much better ways to draw them properly, must be a way of a computerized draw disregarding entries after a certain time! I mean say number 6 gets drawn out of 10 entries, but number 5 was late and shouldn't be in the draw meaning whoever was 7 should have really won!

On a side note there are loads of comps not getting posted here anymore :eek:
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree TC are totally at fault and well done tocthe double winners!
    It definitely was advertised as a £3000 voucher prize but hey if it's different in the terms well who cares what they said!
    :

There was was one tweet out seven for the competition that mentioned £3,000, the T&Cs that tweet linked to (along with all the others) stated quite clearly the prize was £1,000 and anyone entering should have seen that as they were agreeing to them.
    27. Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry
  • Didoow
    Didoow Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I'd just like to point out that none of the other tweets mentioned an amount and I see the T's&C's are at the end of a load of others and entitled "Your Chance to Win a Thomas Cook Package Holiday to selected Destinations in Greece worth up to £1000" (so maybe people thought they hadn't posted yet) so I'm not surprised if lots of people thought it was for £3k. I think I entered quite late so didn't bother to read them first and didn't win so didn't bother to read them afterwards either, this is the first I'd heard of it only being £1000, I am aware that I'm agreeing to them though and it's my fault if I don't read them!
  • Prizes being awarded to late entrants probably happens more than we will ever know on the more ordinary web entry competitions.

Sometimes they extend the closing dates. Sometimes they draw the winners ahead of the closing date. Sometimes the prizes don't materialise. Sometimes there are no winners at all.

It seems anything goes these days.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    To sum up

The prize was as stated in the T&Cs
    A winner was selected as set out in the T&Cs

A separate award was given out which makes no difference to anyone else.
  • grannybiker
    grannybiker Posts: 12,128 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    More to the point, why did nobody post this competition on this forum? :mad::eek::rotfl:

My thoughts exactly when I saw it, LOL!

Oh and one of life's lies is ticking that "I have read the T&Cs" box
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    More to the point, why did nobody post this competition on this forum? :mad::eek::rotfl:
    My thoughts exactly when I saw it, LOL!

This does rather undermine the whole basis that the MSE comps boards exist under.
    If every member who posts comps were to keep them to themselves and not post/share them, then there would not be a comps board. If "there are loads of comps not getting posted here anymore", is this the beginning of the end for MSE comping? :(
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2018 at 9:22AM
    The £3000 prize tweet is still up. It's dated 28th September. (It's not hard to find tbh)
    I reckon they messed up a bit by putting the T&C's right at the bottom of the page. They should have been a t the top, then folk could have questioned it by asking 'Is it 3k or 1k?'
    I also found it rather confusing, as the Tweets say 'one entry per person', yet they kept asking lots of questions.
    So, was it one entry per question tweet, or one entry PP for the entire duration?
    And I never saw the first winner either, just the runner up.
    The whole thing looks to be one big mess.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • The irony of the logic that they can advertise the wrong prize amount but only award the legitimate entrant the small prize because the T & Cs say the small amount , but it's also ok for them to include invalid entries in the draw, thus messing up the odds, even though the T & Cs say " Any entries after the closing will not be considered"
  • deb2112
    deb2112 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Something similar on Facebook the other day. Comp rules stated entrants had to comment the word "win" as part of their entry but the original person announced as the winner hadn't done so, which led to dozens of complaining comments, some of which were downright rude directly towards the original winner. Comp runner then announced they had redrawn and that the original winner had been "very understanding".

Whereas in the ideal world the runners of comps should follow their own rules it always seems very unfair to announce a winner then take the prize away from them. At least the one you are referring to let them have a prize as well. I felt with the Facebook one, if I'd been the second drawn winner, I'd have asked to split the win (vouchers) with the first one. It would have felt wrong otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure