New MOT Diesel Emissions

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2018 at 7:50AM
    My 59 plate, no DPF, 2.2 litre diesel passed its MOT yesterday, with no advisories. Exhaust is clean right up through the usual rev range, despite having over 100k miles on the clock. Not sure what revs they take it up to on the test, but I’d agree that for a well-maintained diesel, the current MOT rules should not be a problem.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 6:07PM
    Apodemus wrote: »
    My 59 plate, no DPF, 2.2 litre diesel passed its MOT yesterday, with no advisories. Exhaust is clean right up through the usual rev range, despite having over 100k miles on the clock. Not sure what revs they take it up to on the test, but I’d agree that for a well-maintained diesel, the current MOT rules should not be a problem.

Euro 5 (2009/9) for light passenger and commercial vehicles; if it has no DPF does it have adblue?
    Or are you saying it have been removed? I would have expected a EURO 5 to be quite a low emmissions vehicle, maybe its a EURO 4.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My car, 2009, 2.2l with DPF, 154,000 miles, passed with no issue just after the new regulations were introduced.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Euro 5 (2009/9) for light passenger and commercial vehicles; if it has no DPFdoes it have adblue?
    Or are you saying it have been removed? I would have expected a EURO 5 to be quite a low emmissions vehicle, maybe its a EURO 4.
    Euro5 (like all the other limits) doesn't actually mandate specific equipment. It simply sets a level that may or may not be possible to achieve without.

The main changes from Euro4 to Euro5 for diesels were a reduction in NOx from 0.25g/km to 0.18g/km... and a reduction in particulates from 0.025g/km to 0.005g/km. HUGE reduction there, which is why most manufacturers decided DPFs were needed - but not all.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Euro 5 (2009/9) for light passenger and commercial vehicles; if it has no DPFdoes it have adblue?

It’s a Euro 4.
  • Nasqueron wrote: »
    and keep on pumping out gunk.

You realise that diesels with a dpf still pump out the gunk don't you.

Just they do it all in one go when 'regenerating'.

Biggest con ever.
  • AdrianC
    You realise that diesels with a dpf still pump out the gunk don't you.

Just they do it all in one go when 'regenerating'.

Biggest con ever.
    No, not really. The particulates are burnt at a higher temperature, and disposed of in a less harmful ash form, rather than emitted as particulates.

If they were just "pumped out" in "one go", you'd know instantly when a DPF car was regenerating, because it'd be...
    maxresdefault.jpg

(Some American pick'em'up drivers think this is laudable, and deliberately turn the fuelling up to do it. They call it "rollin' coal"...)
  • sevenhills
    AdrianC wrote: »
    No, not really. The particulates are burnt at a higher temperature, and disposed of in a less harmful ash form, rather than emitted as particulates.

And there is also the Adblue, in which the particulates are mixed with water vapour and fall to the ground instead of being breathed in.
  • AdrianC
    And there is also the Adblue, in which the particulates are mixed with water vapour and fall to the ground instead of being breathed in.
    Umm, no.

AdBlue - urea - is used in a catalytic reaction to convert NOx emissions into nitrogen, water vapour and CO2. It's nothing to do with particulates.
  • sevenhills
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Umm, no.

AdBlue - urea - is used in a catalytic reaction to convert NOx emissions into nitrogen, water vapour and CO2. It's nothing to do with particulates.

To put it another way, Adblue is sprayed as a fine mist into the exhaust gases and makes the harmful diesel emissions heavier than air stopping them floating around when emmitted out of the exhaust pipe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure