Best course of action/relevant consumer law?

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your rights are with the retailer - as it's House of Fraser and the recent changes in their administration you may find you have no rights at all (consumer-wise).

If Radley are willing to help then you have to do what they ask. There are no consumer rights that exist between you and Radley.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In situations like this is it not unreasonable when you can't get to show it to a person for the company to ask for a photo.

It would be very rare for someone even if they don't have their own not to know someone with either a camera or smartphone to take a picture, as above you do know someone who could help you.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    When exactly?

HoF went into administration on 10 August.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874

In early September.

So - I would imagine I'm safe from the original HOF stores set-up refusing to take responsibility - as I bought the handbag after Stores Direct took over the stores.
    Options
    In situations like this is it not unreasonable when you can't get to show it to a person for the company to ask for a photo.

It would be very rare for someone even if they don't have their own not to know someone with either a camera or smartphone to take a picture, as above you do know someone who could help you.

I've just emailed friend that "lives on their mobile phone" to ask her to take a photo of it next time we meet.

I don't like being put in a position where I have to ask friends for favours - don't want to "wear out my welcome" for that.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    It's not really Radley's fault that you bought the handbag whilst on a trip a long distance from home, and cannot make a return journey to the same city. That's the perils of buying anything non-expendable when you are away from home.

Its not unusual when people go away on holiday to treat themselves to a 'big' purchase I'd say it was quite common, I bet if everyone stopped treating themselves with impulse buys whilst on holiday it would have quite a noticeable effect on companys like Radleys profit.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the manufacturer offer a warranty then that warranty is binding on them - but only on the terms they offer it (most warranties state consumer pays postage). If they didn't offer a warranty on it then you have no claim against them.

Why not call HoF or email them, explain the problem and see if they will allow you to post it to them or perhaps they will advise you just to return with it when you're next home.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Its not unusual when people go away on holiday to treat themselves to a 'big' purchase I'd say it was quite common, I bet if everyone stopped treating themselves with impulse buys whilst on holiday it would have quite a noticeable effect on companys like Radleys profit.

Too right.:T

I might as well get the "how to" re dealing with any potential problems fully sorted now.

Reason being - there are very few opportunities to buy clothes I like where I am. So I went back to my home city visiting deliberately with a list of clothes to purchase and am bargaining on doing the vast majority of my clothes-buying for the rest of my life when I'm back there for visits (ie in between seeing parents/friends/eating out). I specifically went with as much available space in my suitcase as possible for me to work my way round the shops systematically stocking up with my clothes.

I have quite a systematic approach to it - I spend a bit of time people-watching those walking round my home city to see how they're dressed. Then I hit the shops - main streets, side streets, etc with my list in hand.
    Options
    If the manufacturer offer a warranty then that warranty is binding on them - but only on the terms they offer it (most warranties state consumer pays postage). If they didn't offer a warranty on it then you have no claim against them.

Why not call HoF or email them, explain the problem and see if they will allow you to post it to them or perhaps they will advise you just to return with it when you're next home.

Think I'll check and see if I can find anything on the Radley website re their warranty terms then.

Can't wait till next time I'm home though - as, bar any more unexpected illness of my parents causing a "post haste" visit to see them, then I'm not expecting to have another visit for a few months.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    A tip for future would be to go try everything on whilst visiting home to get the right fit/size, make a note of the code/item numbers and size needed then order order online once you get back.

Saves on suitcase space and problems if anything needs returning, of course if you see anything on sale or something you really can't do without will will have to buy it, in case its not available online when you get back.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 4:33PM
    Options
    A tip for future would be to go try everything on whilst visiting home to get the right fit/size, make a note of the code/item numbers and size needed then order order online once you get back.

Saves on suitcase space and problems if anything needs returning, of course if you see anything on sale or something you really can't do without will will have to buy it, in case its not available online when you get back.

You may well be right and I guess maybe chain shops are deliberately trying to push us in that direction?

SEVEN !!!!! days later I've had a (one sentence) reply to my email I sent House of Fraser nationally - which states "Take it back to the store you bought it from". That, even though I made it very plain I couldnt (because of the distance). Supremely helpful of them - not! I know what I think of their customer service - or lack thereof.

Just as well a local friend offered to try and fix the bag for me - and has done so in the meantime:cool::cool:

So it's taken from 19 September to today for first Radley (who do their best not to reply at all if they can possibly help it and need numerous nags to get a response from them at all) and then House of Fraser to give me the run-around and make me send them numerous emails to get them to resolve this - before I got that one sentence "*** off" email from them today finally....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure