Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    atush wrote: »
    If you are male, that right there lowers your LE

Fortunately I'm a woman:)
  • mgdavid wrote: »
    I gave it all the attention it deserved.
    I see the full explanation of the poster's modus operandi has resulted in a marked lack of response from the feminazis...

There is a big difference between 'managing' and 'controlling' someone's finances. I doubt my response would have been any different if the poster and spouse had reversed genders, or had been the same gender, or the relationship had been different.

Try re-reading the controversial post whilst imagining a different controller/controlled context. Not quite as comfortable reading if you can imagine yourself in the position of the poster's spouse.

The controversial post was unguarded and therefore revealing. The subsequent, essay-length justification was exactly as predicted: a highly eloquent, well-phrased attempt to restore his forum credibility. I felt no inclination to respond to such a carefully prepared statement.

Suffice to say that I was not surprised when the poster revealed that most of the joint assets were held in his name.

The poster may have reassured you but I remain unconvinced.

Why use a pejorative label like 'feminazi' to describe those sufficiently concerned about another's well-being to raise red flags?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We also joke quite a lot about "is it in the budget?"

We have a long standing joke in our house too, regarding "Unauthorised Purchases"

It helps if you really are both on the same page with regards your spending and lifestyle habits and goals. Neither of us have a "personal account" in that respect, we just buy/spend what we need/want when we want it....which is not very often.:beer:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    When I was attached, we never knew about each other's financial affairs beyond the basics. We didn't have a joint account, he bought what he wanted, I bought what I wanted. We sort of fell into paying different household bills

We were different in so far as if I'd died before him, he would have had my pension, insurances, a business, a house. When he died, he had the smallest insurance (£5100.00), to cover the funeral and whatever was in his bank account, which was more than I expected but certainly not much.

But it was his money to my way of thinking and neither of us were of the mindset to direct the others money management. Not an arrangement that would suit many, but it did us.
  • justme111 wrote: »
    More on topic - my partner stopped working and yesterday it was the first time that he drawn money from savings. He feels so wrong about it , he refuses to look at numbers again to reassure himself it can be done because he says he knows the numbers add up but knowing it does not change how he feels. I can see a giant neon emergency light flashing in his head " I am going to spend all my savings"!
    This has been my biggest challenge, adjusting from getting a big salary to having nothing coming in (apart from my wife's small DB pension). I still find it challenging, especially when big unexpected bills come up (like they just did for an unexpected problem on our car). I have done all the numbers, I know we have plenty of money but the risk averse person in me still frets about it. It is a big shift.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This has been my biggest challenge, adjusting from getting a big salary to having nothing coming in (apart from my wife's small DB pension). I still find it challenging, especially when big unexpected bills come up (like they just did for an unexpected problem on our car). I have done all the numbers, I know we have plenty of money but the risk averse person in me still frets about it. It is a big shift.

I'm expecting to really struggle with this too. I've just had my last-but-one 'proper' paycheque and I'm sure I will feel really weird when I have less coming in than going out. I think I'll be okay as long as the investments keep growing, so I can see the bottom line holding up, but I do worry about how I'll react when the next big dip comes.
  • I think this aspect will be a really hard shift for most new retirees who have managed the finances, maybe not so much for the other partner who is not aware of the day to day nitty gritty.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think this aspect will be a really hard shift for most new retirees who have managed the finances, maybe not so much for the other partner who is not aware of the day to day nitty gritty.

only for those with variable income in retirement i.e. drawing down from investments / SIPPs / ISAs etc. If your mix is DB pensions / annuities / SP then you simply have multiple 'paydays' every month.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • This has been my biggest challenge, adjusting from getting a big salary to having nothing coming in (apart from my wife's small DB pension). I still find it challenging, especially when big unexpected bills come up (like they just did for an unexpected problem on our car). I have done all the numbers, I know we have plenty of money but the risk averse person in me still frets about it. It is a big shift.

I think the problem is psychology, we have our gut feeling and rational head telling us different things. It's one of the things I worry about when I give up FT work for good, part of me knows the figures should work and there's always the option of trying to find PT work, but it goes against the gut feeling to be draining down funds.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I think this aspect will be a really hard shift for most new retirees who have managed the finances, maybe not so much for the other partner who is not aware of the day to day nitty gritty.

Not even that - my partner has not managed the finances , he just collected his salary . Now that it is not coming in he freezes with worry.
    Mgdavid,, that is what I would do or hoped he would. He has not set things up though and when I said it would make sense to have one withdrawal monthly on a particular day he responded he is fine with doing it in dribs and drabs!:angry:
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback