Working at waitrose

Options

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I worked as a part time Christmas temp at Waitrose and was provided with a uniform, I think the black trainers if smart and clean would be ok in the role you are employed as. Personally I wouldn't stick around for long, I would have hated it if I had needed to accept a permanent job with them.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Livinlovinlaughin
    Options
    If the trainers don't look bad, are pretty neat, clean and all black, it might be passable with the even the basic cheapest black trousers from a supermarket - I say this as when it came to working on a courier depot floor last Christmas, the first thing that happened was the question what size are you for safety shoes? (not glamorous but safe) they really didn't care what I turned up dressed in, end of first day I went home with the full top half uniform (exception made for trousers alone) but the shoes which looked like heavy trainers.

You'll soon tell by their reaction first day if they don't feel what you wear is appropriate and you can do different dress 2nd day.

It would be tough to spend your money then find out it wasn't needed.

I have smartish black trainers, but they have a white trim on sole
    I will be on my feet all day I want to be comfortable, I am willing to cut right back and spend a little bit extra.... but not on shoes just for work and I know this is not a permanent job for me.

I live in trainers and don’t mind spending money on a decent pair of all black trainers
    Because it will be something I would wear outside of work.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Can't you ask at your local WR, before you start? (Although I do appreciate that asking on here is sensible.) If it were me, I'd even be thinking of covering up the white flash on my trainers with tidy black tape for my first shift.....But it would be great to peek into your local warehouse, see everyone in trainers, and feel secure in buying a new pair.

I mystery shopped a shoe shop last week. Not top end, but not bottom end either. And both the staff were wearing trainers - made by the company I was shopping, I assume.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Lucyjoanne
    Options
    If it’s a shelf filler, I would say you wanted some comfortable boots. There is some large cages that can be painful if you bump them on your toe. My job does supply safety shoes with a steel toe if you want them.
    What hours are you working and will the store be open?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did you come off JSA/UC? They might help you.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    A pair of smart trousers, shoes and a white shirt may come in handy for other jobs (or job interviews, or other 'smart dress' occasions) so it's unlikely to be money wasted, even if this thing with Waitrose doesn't work out/happen.
    I would be prioritising hard-wearing and comfortable over smart. You will be working at the end of the retail day and when the store is closed and you will find you need something that can withstand activity. Have a good attitude to your work and make yourself useful, and you may be asked to stay p/t during the year.

As an added bonus, expect your arms to tone up rapidly!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Livinlovinlaughin
    Livinlovinlaughin Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2018 at 10:36AM
    Options
    I will be working at night when the store is closed,
    Not coming off benefits, was previously doing warehouse/factory work in the day in jeans and trainers.... arms and upper back stronger and more toned already,:D

I do prefer to be up and about when working as oppose to a desk job.... which I have done before,
    Time goes by so much faster and you can get fit in the process,

This job is ideal for me right now, as stated in earlier post, not sure whether mentally and physically I could handle this type of job permanently, also I am assuming this is an Xmas job and things will slow down significantly...... my reason for not trying to spend money on boots/shoes that will be sitting in the closet after 3 months

ETA:
    I have done retail work before, Xmas temp during various times in my life, did the shelf filling as well as cashier etc, various shifts, various super markets.... never over night and never just a shelf filler
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have smartish black trainers, but they have a white trim on sole

I was just about to ask if your trainers were all black or had a white or light band around the sole, or any decals. I don't think your trainers would be appropriate for their dress code, at least not on day 1. Can you not wear your interview shoes if that's all you have, and take the trainers in a bag.

You can then gauge the general code and how strict your manager is, and perhaps ask to change in your shift.

You can find some relatively comfortable black shoes cheaply, eg.
    https://www.deichmann.com/GB/en/shop/home-mens/home-mens-shoes/home-mens-shoes-comfort/00009001377857/Casual*Slip*on*Shoes.prod?_=1539082106016&fromCategoryDetail=true&positionInList=1

£15
  • Ridgerunner
    Options
    If you'd spend more on trainers as you'll wear outside work, Skechers are very comfortable and do some all - black versions. Seen all black in Asics and Slazenger too and a few others.

I have a second job in a supermarket (unsociable hours starting at 0400) that requires plain black trousers and got some for £9 from Peacocks which look pretty smart and wash and wear well too.
  • Livinlovinlaughin
    Livinlovinlaughin Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 3:27PM
    Options
    I didn’t spend any money and I am glad I didn’t,
    First night, I wore a white shirt, smart black jeans and found an old pair of black shoes that I put new insoles in.... everything that I already had at home.
    Glad I didn’t, 2nd night I wore my trainers and an old black sweatshirt, white shirt was ruined.

I work when the store is shut, so no customers, was definitely a lot more comfortable with trainers, jeans and baggy old sweatshirt

Also relieved coss nice place and nice people,
    I was expecting the worse, with people and with the work, because I have some real !!!!!! experiences in the last few jobs i have had
    But I was pleasently surprised
    They are looking permanent part time staff, would be ideal for me, but need to see if body and mind able to handle it first.
    Thanks for all help and advice :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport