Clarks shoes, brand new, rotting in their thousands - check your wardrobes now!

Options

Comments

• ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Who buys shoes and doesn't wear them until a year or two later?

I suspect you're male.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    This happened to a pair of plastic-soled Adidas trainers I kept in a plastic bag for a few years.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Doc N
    May I ask if you have a pair of Clark's shoes that have disintegrated in this way?

I did post years ago that I had a pair (of Clarks.) that disintegrated

I also had a pair I bought from New York that did the same.

I heartily recommend Doc Martens - I have numerous pairs from 30+ years ago & the soles are still perfect.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Some say Doctor Martens quality has slipped in recent years too.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Some say Doctor Martens quality has slipped in recent years too.
    Maybe it has.
    But my 15+ pairs are 'vintage'.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Maybe it has.
    Sorry, we seem to be talking at crossed purposes. You appeared to be recommending people to buy new ones so I was sounding a note of caution that they might not last like they used to.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc N
    May I ask if you have a pair of Clark's shoes that have disintegrated in this way?

Several - which is why I started checking it out online. So has the wife. Some of the shoes are brand new, some slightly used, but all have gone the same way - a sticky mess of self-destruction where the soles used to be. It makes a foul mess of any surface they happen to be sitting on too.

This was never a problem until Clarks started using super-cheapo materials for the soles to save themselves money. Clarks shoes would last indefinitely - now I wouldn't expect them to last even for a year, and for that reason I'd never buy Clarks again. Other shoes I've had for the same length of time (M&S, Ecco for example) have displayed none of these problems.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe it has.

My last pair of Doc Martens bought about 5 years ago fell apart after 4 years. I did wear them a lot though, and they were patent leather ones, so may not have lasted as long as the normal leather ones. The most recent pair I've got is even worse quality than the previous pair. They feel so cheap in comparison, even the shoe laces are thinner and worse quality!

As for Clarks, I have a pair of sandals, bought 3 years ago, worn hundreds of times and they're still going strong. A tiny bit worn around the edges, but that's to be expected. It may not be all of their shoes, or it may be the way people are storing them, if they have damp in their room for instance, that could accelerate rotting of anything!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    It may not be all of their shoes, or it may be the way people are storing them, if they have damp in their room for instance, that could accelerate rotting of anything!

I can assure you categorically that its in no way related to the storage conditions. It's a well documented manufacturing problem that Clarks know all about and accept responsibility for. What they won't accept responsibility for is compensating their hapless customers. Or, as most of us are now, ex-customers.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    It happened to a pair of my husband's Ecco boots.
    Stored them in a box, brand new, for a year after purchase but when he unpacked them this year to start wearing them the soles had turned to sticky slime.

Same thing with a different brand pair of my slippers. I hadn't worn them for two years and the soles had oozed and stained the items with which they were packed.

Never seen this happen before.
    Yes, ecco - that was the other brand (as well as Hotter) that I remember reading about.
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    My last pair of Doc Martens bought about 5 years ago fell apart after 4 years. I did wear them a lot though, and they were patent leather ones, so may not have lasted as long as the normal leather ones. The most recent pair I've got is even worse quality than the previous pair. They feel so cheap in comparison, even the shoe laces are thinner and worse quality!

As for Clarks, I have a pair of sandals, bought 3 years ago, worn hundreds of times and they're still going strong. A tiny bit worn around the edges, but that's to be expected. It may not be all of their shoes, or it may be the way people are storing them, if they have damp in their room for instance, that could accelerate rotting of anything!
    I've recently bought a pair of DM chelsea boots, they seem pretty good quality leather and sole. Maybe they won't last as long as my older pairs. Or maybe they'll outlast me.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Several - which is why I started checking it out online. So has the wife. Some of the shoes are brand new, some slightly used, but all have gone the same way - a sticky mess of self-destruction where the soles used to be. It makes a foul mess of any surface they happen to be sitting on too.

This was never a problem until Clarks started using super-cheapo materials for the soles to save themselves money. Clarks shoes would last indefinitely - now I wouldn't expect them to last even for a year, and for that reason I'd never buy Clarks again. Other shoes I've had for the same length of time (M&S, Ecco for example) have displayed none of these problems.
    I've just checked a few pairs of Clarks shoes - 2 pair of boots that I've had for maybe longer than 5 years and a pair of trainers.
    All soles are fine.

I'd keep an eye on your ecco shoes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family