Can you get fit without a gym

Comments

• genetic
    genetic Posts: 129 Forumite
    I like fitness blender (on youtube). They have lots of body-weight only routines and others where you only need hand weights (or water bottles/ anything heavy and easy to hold). They are a good mix of cardio and strength training and aren't annoying!
  • Yes!
    There are a lot of cardio sessions on youtube. Start with 20-30 minutes(2 or 3 times a week) and then try to increase your time to 40-60 minutes cardio workout in a month or two.
    Good luck.
  • Soulginge
    Soulginge Posts: 27 Forumite
    Absolutely!! Joe Wicks on YouTube is great, both me and my wife can be seen limping round the lounge after one of those. I also find some great workout stuff on Pinterest, just have a bit of a search and it should pop up pretty quick.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    parkrun!

Absolutely free..
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, you don't need a gym but if you aren't using a gym and not doing classes you need to be motivated enough to find something that you enjoy and can stick to doing regularly. This is where I always fall down.

As you say, walking will get you fit to a certain degree if you do enough and step it out so you get your heart rate up, but if you really want to get fitter, more toned and lose weight then you need to do something else as well.

I cycle a bit but I also make time for the gym and classess because otherwise I wouldn't do much regular exercise - and the busier I am the more that is true. However I am lucky enough to have older kids so don't have to worry about childcare.

I would try and fit 2 or 3 of the Joe Wicks workouts into your week as they are short but effective. He defintiely does know what he is doing too.
  • Another advocate for parkrun. One 5km a week added to your current walking with the pushchair will do wonders.
    Ultimately it depends on your overall fitness goal though - do you want to be super fit, or are you happy to just increase what you are currently doing to bring your fitness levels up a notch? If it's the former then i'd suggest doing some body weight exercises and some yoga - all can be done in your living room.

Try the Do You Yoga website - it has some great free classes. I did a 30-day strength workout - 10 to 15 mins a day - and it was remarkable how much strength I gained.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I'm trying by using resistance bands and going for the occasional run.
  • Thanks for all the responses. I don't have anyone to help me with childcare unfortunately so park runs are out and i only get a 30 min dinner break so usually try to incorporate a walk into that. However I could definitely try to do something at home and do have some dumbbells, not super heavy ones but better than nowt! I could probably fit 30mins in so I will try to do that as often as I can
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can you fit in some time to go swimming? Easy way to get fit and you can take your 3 year old, most children love it.
  • I don't have anyone to help me with childcare unfortunately so park runs are out
    You can walk/jog/run with your child in a buggy at parkrun and they are free and newby and family friendly. Lots of families do it together and there is always someone to run with and talk too. Best wishes l hope you manage to find something that suits you
    parkrun
    I run because I like BEER..... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family