2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2018 at 2:14AM
    Better late than never, as they say, so I'm popping in to update on how the spending here is going. Having allocated the usual grocery challenge of £1 per person per day for all meals, I am still focussing on eating out of what's already in store. Meals are interesting, to say the least! Every morning is porridge for breakfast - Scottish version, made with water - but I allow myself the luxury of a handful of sultanas and a teaspoonful of honey. Lunches now alternate between soup or something egg-based, so there have been many, many, many pancakes made since the hens all started lying again. With the freezer still being full, dinners aren't too boring yet, as I still have plenty in store. To date, I have spent only £38.06 on groceries this year, most of that on milk and veg.

I've started looking at what can be planted and plan of getting things like spring onions, salad leaves and more herbs on the go soon. These can be planted anywhere in tubs, pots and buckets and as I spend so much time at the caravan park then I can have them growing on the decking. The good thing about being here is that I can share all the surplus eggs, fruit, veg & herbs with others nearby and everyone I know here now knows not to bin anything before offering to rehome it here. :)

I'm still having no joy in finding anyone to come and help with the gardening and decorating in exchange for free accommodation, but have a student arriving on the 26th, staying for a week to help at Frugaldom - this is her third visit, so she's like one of the family now. It's just a shame she can't stay longer. :)

The house insurance is due this month so I've some comparisons needing run plus I'll phone the company who does my business policies to compare with them, too.

I opted not to pay telephone line rental up front, so the monthly bill has now soared to over £50 per month! (Need o do some comparisons but business use usually scuppers the best deals)

Of my initial £4,000 for the year's challenge, I have £3,753.90 remaining. 2018 is going to be a slog but I'm determined to get things done and get ready for hosting a few extra visitors. Anyone want a free holiday in exchange for some sewing, painting and gardening? :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    FOR OUR NEWCOMERS TO THE FRUGAL LIVING CHALLENGE

Some of us have been doing this for quite some time and we sometimes forget that others have not, so I'm just adding in this little bit to say that anything is possible when it comes to achieveing your goals.

Even although the route to financial freedom is rocky, twisted and has many obstacles in the way, most of these can be dealt with in simple ways if we have the moral support of like-minded others who can help us deal with them one by one.

A few pennies here and there may not seem like much but, over the years, those pennies add up to pounds and time flies by...

I can't believe it's 19 years this month since I was preparing to put the very first frugal living challenge - feed a family for £10 a week - into print! :doh: How old have I got?! :rotfl:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE - you are part of a very special group that has seen many come and go over the years, but most of all, it has seen some great friendships evolve. Thank you to everyone who continues to support the frugal living challenges.

• Frugaldom
    FrankieM and Buffythedebtslayer

How are things going on your frugal fronts?

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Been reading this thread a while now and loving your determination and the ideas some of you have. We are definitely trying to live frugally and save some money but my OH is actually a bit materialistic and doesn't like a lot of my ideas. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of saving a penny here and there to actually end up saving a lot over the year. I have my work cut out!..lol
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Haven't posted this year, although I have previously, but I've been reading along. I just wanted to say to indigowarrior yes it is fine to spend money on a gift for your children for when they leave. Some things are TOO important to be frugal for. I know this will be a hard time for you. Don't let it defeat you, your signature says you want to be a home owner by 40, have the determination to do this. Make your children proud of you when you see them again in years to come. Everyone here will be willing you on and helping as much as they can, hugs, M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • Frugaldom
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Been reading this thread a while now and loving your determination and the ideas some of you have. We are definitely trying to live frugally and save some money but my OH is actually a bit materialistic and doesn't like a lot of my ideas. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of saving a penny here and there to actually end up saving a lot over the year. I have my work cut out!..lol

Getting other household members fully onboard can be a complete and utter nightmare. My ex never did and I sometimes have difficulties with H(ouseshare) but as we don't have joint finances then I tend to do my own thing and he does his. :) I often think men were te more materialistic because of the old macho ideas of 'I worked for it, I deserve it' but times have changed... now I see this attitude regardless of gender, so it is no longer 'a man thing', it's a general (mis)perception of society, money and priorities.

Any efforts at prioritising spending in order to achieve debt freedom is frugal in my book. Once we achieve frugal(free)dom then it's time to step it up another gear so we can afford a better future for all concerned, including those around us who still need a leg up. We all need cheering on now and again. :T

• So been thinking. I have set my budget for £330 per month. Because I started late it only gives me 10 months to December. So I want to change my target amount to £3300 for this year please.

I am aiming for the next 5 days to be NSDs and I will be eating mainly out of the cupboards. I am also doing a £1 a day food challenge for this week to see how I get on.

Also I am not officially starting this challenge until I get paid on Wednesday.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2018 at 3:23PM
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Getting other household members fully onboard can be a complete and utter nightmare. My ex never did and I sometimes have difficulties with H(ouseshare) but as we don't have joint finances then I tend to do my own thing and he does his. :) I often think men were te more materialistic because of the old macho ideas of 'I worked for it, I deserve it' but times have changed... now I see this attitude regardless of gender, so it is no longer 'a man thing', it's a general (mis)perception of society, money and priorities.

Any efforts at prioritising spending in order to achieve debt freedom is frugal in my book. Once we achieve frugal(free)dom then it's time to step it up another gear so we can afford a better future for all concerned, including those around us who still need a leg up. We all need cheering on now and again. :T

My husband is a nightmare where frugality is concerned money just burns a hole in his pocket and he likes the have lots of things - not necessarily expensive but all adds up - soon as he has any money he just has to spend whether he needs anything or not. CDs and dvds are his big thing. He knows he's a disaster though which is a start. Persuaded him to go cold turkey with money for a bit so he gets a weekly amount and when it's gone that's it and no debit card. He wasn't keen but when he realised how much we had saved since Xmas he started to come round and is even trying to save a bit of his money to buy me a birthday present. It's a bit extreme I guess but it's working brilliantly for us. Unfortunatel our eldest is in danger of going the same way so wanted to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 February 2018 at 3:43PM
    spudsmum wrote: »
    My husband is a nightmare where frugality is concerned money just burns a hole in his pocket and he likes the have lots of things - not necessarily expensive but all adds up - soon as he has any money he just has to spend whether he needs anything or not. CDs and dvds are his big thing. He knows he's a disaster though which is a start. Persuaded him to go cold turkey with money for a bit so he gets a weekly amount and when it's gone that's it and no debit card. He wasn't keen but when he realised how much we had saved since Xmas he started to come round and is even trying to save a bit of his money to buy me a birthday present. It's a bit extreme I guess but it's working brilliantly for us. Unfortunatel our eldest is in danger of going the same way so wanted to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later

Lol....men are just a nightmare aren't they? Mine likes to buy stupid cables for computers and phone, phone cases and covers, bits for his motorbike, tops and fleeces from Fleabay....which 9 times out of 10, turn out not to fit! I hate him coming shopping with me as he will fill the trolleys with biscuits if I let him. He seems to think a bargain is something cheap regardless of if we need it or not. I keep telling him it is only a bargain if we actually need it.
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Mine is also banned from coming food shopping ploppy. Costs me at least an extra £30 in bits of nowt if he comes
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure