Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonnybravo19
    • By jonnybravo19 22nd Aug 19, 12:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jonnybravo19
    i owe ebay money
    • 22nd Aug 19, 12:54 PM
    i owe ebay money 22nd Aug 19 at 12:54 PM
    Hi all,
    I currently owe ebay 3500. I was in a dark place a few months back and sold some items i did not own to sell. Obviuosy when buyers complained they did not receive ebay refunded them. I sold 3 separate items for a total of 3500 for a drug addiction which I have now overcome. As ebay refunded buyers they are now rightly chasing me for the money. I do want to pay them back but don't have that kind of money but could pay back monthly. I am just worried before ringing them to discuss if they can call the police and have me arrested if I explain what happened
Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 22nd Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 11,678 Posts
    • 128,893 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:30 PM
    Hi all,
    I currently owe ebay 3500. I was in a dark place a few months back and sold some items i did not own to sell. Obviuosy when buyers complained they did not receive ebay refunded them. I sold 3 separate items for a total of 3500 for a drug addiction which I have now overcome. As ebay refunded buyers they are now rightly chasing me for the money. I do want to pay them back but don't have that kind of money but could pay back monthly. I am just worried before ringing them to discuss if they can call the police and have me arrested if I explain what happened
    Originally posted by jonnybravo19

Don't tell them why, just apologise and sort out a payment plan. They will sell on the debt to a collection agency, and you will be chased and charges added.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • jonnybravo19
    • By jonnybravo19 22nd Aug 19, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonnybravo19
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:41 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:41 PM
    Thank you for the swift response and advice. When I call ebay to set up payment plan will they not demand a reason for why I did not send items or why I cant afford to pay full balance?
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 22nd Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    If you need any help with debt please contact step change,
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 22nd Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    • 11,678 Posts
    • 128,893 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 22nd Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    Thank you for the swift response and advice. When I call ebay to set up payment plan will they not demand a reason for why I did not send items or why I cant afford to pay full balance?

I doubt they need to know or really care....they're more interested in getting their money back. They would rather take a reasonable, affordable amount you can guarantee you can pay per month than to try and force you to pay money you haven't got which may result in bankruptcy and then they wouldn't see a single shiny penny.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Aug 19, 10:48 PM
    • 62,578 Posts
    • 44,999 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:48 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:48 PM
    I doubt they need to know or really care....they're more interested in getting their money back. They would rather take a reasonable, affordable amount you can guarantee you can pay per month than to try and force you to pay money you haven't got which may result in bankruptcy and then they wouldn't see a single shiny penny.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    I do slightly disagree with you, eBay (or I suspect PayPal ) don't care about the end result, they have a debt, they want paying and they have a direct line to debt collectors. I have not heard of anyone successfully negotiating a payment plan with PayPal, they chase the debt, then just sell it on and let debt collectors harass for it.

OP firstly you really do need to get advice on the wider picture here, have a look round the other boards towards the top of the forum, try the debt free board and also the bankruptcy board. I suggest the latter purely as they can give advice of what the debt collector can and can't do, yes they can harass you within reason, but the moment they overstep their remit you need to remind them that you also have rights.

There is no chance that PayPal will involve the police, I've never even seen it get as far as a court case. They tend to chase for a couple of years and then half heartedly after that. However, you can obviously never have a PayPal account again, and it is likely than anyone eBay consider connected to you will also lose their PayPal accounts. With PayPal currently being a requirement of using eBay you also can't use eBay again, but I suspect your account is beyond saving anyway.

Also, look at the other MSE boards, there are other gambling addicts posting, get support from them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 23rd Aug 19, 5:01 AM
    • 11,678 Posts
    • 128,893 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 23rd Aug 19, 5:01 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 5:01 AM
    Soolin, I know you're more experienced and knowledgeable than me so thank you. I was making assumptions as I've thankfully not been in the position OP is in. I also discouraged OP from saying anything which could lead to more trouble/getting arrested etc as at least they've seen the error of their ways and are trying to pay it back. The last thing someone trying to recover from an addiction needs is legal trouble.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Aug 19, 7:58 AM
    • 62,578 Posts
    • 44,999 Thanks
    soolin
    • 23rd Aug 19, 7:58 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 7:58 AM
    Soolin, I know you're more experienced and knowledgeable than me so thank you. I was making assumptions as I've thankfully not been in the position OP is in. I also discouraged OP from saying anything which could lead to more trouble/getting arrested etc as at least they've seen the error of their ways and are trying to pay it back. The last thing someone trying to recover from an addiction needs is legal trouble.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    PayPal tend to see things in black and white and I suspect they get several defaults a day and their business model is to pass the debt on.

Contrary to belief I don't work for PayPal 😀 But I'm on several forums and absolutely no one has ever posted that they have managed to set up any sort of payment plan. So my response is not from any 'guaranteed' source, just from having been around for a while- and is probably not based on any more knowledge than your thoughts. As usual though I would be very interested to hear if anyone has ever managed a payment plan (and not a troll post from a friend of a friend who heard it down the pub) as any change in PayPal behaviour is worth highlighting.

I don't think OP needs to fear jail, but does need to be prepared for a bumpy couple of years watching the debt collectors in case they overstep the mark.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • messia07
    • By messia07 23rd Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    messia07
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    3500 for a drug addiction
    not 100% the same but when my sister came out of a mental institution, she got into 4000+ worth of debt by using credit cards and taking out multiple phone contracts, for herself and others.. she spent money she would never be able to repay, as she didn't have a job.

the debt collectors did chase her for the money (my parents payed some of the debt) but once they realised she had mental health problems, they cleared the remaining debt. doctor & social worker helped quite a bit by writing letters.
    Last edited by messia07; 23-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 23rd Aug 19, 12:07 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    If you look carefully, the original poster is asking what is the legal ramification of stating or admitting what he did, which is a legal question, as opposed to what eBay will do with the debt.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Aug 19, 12:13 PM
    • 62,578 Posts
    • 44,999 Thanks
    soolin
    If you look carefully, the original poster is asking what is the legal ramification of stating or admitting what he did, which is a legal question, as opposed to what eBay will do with the debt.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Which has been answered, there is zero chance that eBay/PayPal will call the police.

There is also a very slim chance a buyer might, but since buyers will have been repaid I can't see the police being interested at all.

This is of course the pay day loan scenario from the sellers point of view.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 23rd Aug 19, 12:19 PM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Which has been answered, there is zero chance that eBay/PayPal will call the police.
    I think the seriousness of that shouldn't be underestimated. The OP has admitted obtaining money by deception, and the question was eBay "can eBay" do that?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 23rd Aug 19, 12:56 PM
    • 8,992 Posts
    • 5,205 Thanks
    RFW
    Originally posted by soolin
    Perhaps and it probably seems likely. However there are several reported cases where Ebay have provided evidence to the police and other authorities.

I know no one on here is advocating it but it does seem like the OP is being told that it's ok to defraud buyers for a few thousand pound as long as Ebay carries the tab.

There are several ways that this could end up with the police however unlikely.

My immediate thought when I first read this was that it was a prank post. If it is genuine I'd suggest the OP heads to the Citizen's Advice who can help with more than just the debt problems.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 23rd Aug 19, 1:10 PM
    • 62,578 Posts
    • 44,999 Thanks
    soolin
    Perhaps and it probably seems likely. However there are several reported cases where Ebay have provided evidence to the police and other authorities.

I know no one on here is advocating it but it does seem like the OP is being told that it's ok to defraud buyers for a few thousand pound as long as Ebay carries the tab.

There are several ways that this could end up with the police however unlikely.

My immediate thought when I first read this was that it was a prank post. If it is genuine I'd suggest the OP heads to the Citizen's Advice who can help with more than just the debt problems.
    Originally posted by RFW
    I agree that OP, should they return and if they are genuine, would be best suited getting proper legal advice.

As someone who pays fees to PayPal and eBay that cover the run up debts by rogues and crooks I would personally hope that ebay/PayPal took proper steps to recover this money rather than leaving a funding gap that ultimately mean honest sellers pay extra for in their fees. However, a pragmatic approach suggests that PayPal take the easy route, send in debt collectors and basically leave it at that.

I am mindful of the fact that OP claims addiction as a mitigating factor, and also that MSE expect us to be polite to new members but I think that actually prosecuting some of these fraudsters (and leaving aside mitigating factors this was fraud) might serve the majority of users better. Firstly it woulld mean those considering fraud might pause to think and consider the implications of their action, it would mean buyers have more faith in the system and would mean that PayPal didn't have to put aside funds to cover fraud which ultimately the honest sellers pay for. However , as usual PayPal take the easy option.
    Last edited by soolin; 23-08-2019 at 1:13 PM.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

6,470Users online

Martin's Twitter