Nutrition / hydration on half marathon

Options
I took up wheelchair racing relatively recently and did my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago. I found I ran out of energy 2/3 round, although I’d done plenty of training.

I really wanted to try an energy gel at the station that had them but with the crazy gloves on I had no chance. Reading other threads it sounds like I did right to not try one on race day anyway.
But it got me thinking about what’s in my water bottle. On race day I had plain water, although I had tried and liked the “high 5” electrolyte tablets, I just ran out / forgot on the day. I’ve ordered more and will go back to using the tablets.

Thinking about energy gels, I’m never going to be able to open one while moving, plus they are expensive and wasteful in packaging so thinking about alternatives.

Can I add a squirt of glucose syrup to my drink? Would it do the same job?

Any other suggestions?

Anything I use will need to be able to go in a bottle with camelback type top. I can have multiple bottles with different things in if I want though.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts

Comments

• Svalbaard
    Options
    Hi, I saw nobody else responded so hope you don't mind if I do.

I'm a triathlete and also do half marathons, and I can't take gels either as I find them horrible and sickly whilst underway. After much trial and error I now generally avoid any expensive branded supplements and just buy a bag of maltodextrin (around £3 for a 0.5kg bag from Bulk Powders or similar) and then dilute a few tablespoons worth of that with water into whatever 1litre bottle I want to make the water taste nice - orange squash for example.

If it's hot then I might dilute it with a High-5 or most likely just a teaspoon of salt for the additional electrolyte balance.

Best of luck.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    I agree with the above.
    Wine Gums or similar will be just as good if taken at the right time and not be as sickly. A couple of bananas will be a good pre race.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    We got given some PowerGel shots (basically like squishy jelly sweets) at a 10k over the summer - they had them on the course and I must say trying them I nearly choked - they didn't seem to 'squish' like a normal sweet (I was also in need of a water station as it was really hot so prob not the best time to try them)

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/powerbar-power-gel-shots-2207.html?gshop=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcW3kZLu5AIVh6ztCh2VTQlLEAYYASABEgJZhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do use gels on races but tbh I don't really find that much difference - perhaps I'm not timing them right, and agree they are somewhat sticky (esp putting the wrapper in my pocket as I prefer not to litter).

Going a bit old school, I've just bought a pack of Dextrose energy tablets - they do a sports one now and I did get those - they were 99p for a pack of 2 in Savers and I do wonder if going back to 'basics' with the likes of these is actually going to be preferable than faffing with gels etc.

https://www.dextro-energy.com/products/sport-tablets
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills