Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 8th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 80Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale?
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale? 8th Jan 19 at 4:36 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My aunt got me a Christmas present and included the receipt in case I wanted to take it back. I've since seen it in the shops at a much lower price - should I take it back, rebuy at the cheaper price and pocket the saving?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    • 35,052 Posts
    • 21,414 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    Take it back for a full refund and pocket the money.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 8th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    mrschaucer
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:47 PM

My aunt got me a Christmas present and included the receipt in case I wanted to take it back. I've since seen it in the shops at a much lower price - should I take it back, rebuy at the cheaper price and pocket the saving?

]
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    Yes of course. This is a money saving site and she'll never know.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,961 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    As long as she paid cash...
    If she paid by card, you're stuffed.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 11,638 Posts
    • 10,060 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    It is not unknown for shops to only refund the reduced price of an item. Also unless faulty you are bound by their terms and conditions on "change of mind" returns.
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 8th Jan 19, 7:01 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:01 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:01 PM
    id probably try it , yes.
    I dont see any drama here
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 21,780 Posts
    • 58,961 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    It is not unknown for shops to only refund the reduced price of an item. Also unless faulty you are bound by their terms and conditions on "change of mind" returns.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Whenever I've bought anything and returned it and it's been reduced in the sale, all the 'big' shops have refunded the purchase price - with the receipt (which the OP has).

Unfortunately - as is typical with all MMDs - we don't know if the item was paid for by cash or what the shop's return policy is (just because the Aunt gave the recipient the receipt doesn't mean the shop will refund for 'change of mind'. As we know a lot of people think it's within their legal rights to return goods for 'change of mind and the Aunt may be one of those people).
    • chesky
    • By chesky 8th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,893 Thanks
    chesky
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    Why bother to ask a load of strangers - make up your own mind. There's no moral dilemma here.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 8th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 3,980 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    Yes, go for it.
    • Dilys Em
    • By Dilys Em 8th Jan 19, 10:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dilys Em
    Get the money difference if you can - and give it to your aunt. Or even better, take her out for a nice meal. Hasn't cost you anything!
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 8th Jan 19, 11:46 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    What a faff - unless it's a substantial reduction, why bother, isn't your time worth something too?
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 9th Jan 19, 7:08 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 6,740 Thanks
    t14cy t
    yep, I would take it back!
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 9th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    If you can, yes, why not?
    • lizbut747747
    • By lizbut747747 9th Jan 19, 7:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lizbut747747
    Yes of course.
    • penarthian
    • By penarthian 9th Jan 19, 8:54 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    penarthian
    Take care if item already in sale
    My husband bought me some jeans from M and S in October and put them away as a Christmas present together with receipt of £35. Come Christmas Day I was a few stone lighter and jeans too big so I took jeans back for exchange or refund.
    I was told the receipt was too old to have full refund and could only give refund based on price jeans selling now. I was offered £3.50 as they had been in their sale !!!
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 9th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    That's exactly what I would do. Where's the dilemma?
    • VT82
    • By VT82 9th Jan 19, 9:27 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    VT82
    My husband bought me some jeans from M and S in October and put them away as a Christmas present together with receipt of £35. Come Christmas Day... I was told the receipt was too old to have full refund.
    Originally posted by penarthian
    To be fair, keeping the receipt when not planning on potentially doing a 'no fault' return for two months is a bit pointless. What if the shop doesn't even stock the item anymore? The only value the shop would get from taking the goods back as a goodwill gesture would be to stick it straight into clearance. Statutory rights don't extend to this scenario for a reason.
    • sudokulover
    • By sudokulover 9th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    sudokulover
    penarthian ... you were defo scammed... M & S policy is to refund whatever ....i bought some bathroom stuff in July ...when we decorated i found it didn't match at all... i had the receipt and took it back to M&S foodstore. They wont give you a cash refund or refund it onto your card but gave me a full refund (£37) as a printed credit note valid for 2 years. I should contact them.
    • paulandhelenjones
    • By paulandhelenjones 9th Jan 19, 10:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    paulandhelenjones
    There is no moral issue only economics (petrol costs, parking fees, bus fare, time etc) and the shops exchange policy that should be considered in making the decision. You also have the choice of what to do with the money but there is no obligation to share it with your Aunt. If my nephew or niece did this I would admire there frugality. Kind Regards
    • JayD
    • By JayD 9th Jan 19, 10:04 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    JayD
    As long as she paid cash...
    If she paid by card, you're stuffed.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

Absolutely. Card purchases are refunded to the card that paid for them.

Also, bear in mind that, without a good reason for the return, the shop might only give a credit voucher to use there, which would make it awkward to re-buy the same item at their reduced price and impossible to shop for it elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,565Users online

Martin's Twitter