Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My aunt got me a Christmas present and included the receipt in case I wanted to take it back. I've since seen it in the shops at a much lower price - should I take it back, rebuy at the cheaper price and pocket the saving?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Take it back for a full refund and pocket the money.
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »
    My aunt got me a Christmas present and included the receipt in case I wanted to take it back. I've since seen it in the shops at a much lower price - should I take it back, rebuy at the cheaper price and pocket the saving?

]

Yes of course. This is a money saving site and she'll never know.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »

As long as she paid cash...
    If she paid by card, you're stuffed.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is not unknown for shops to only refund the reduced price of an item. Also unless faulty you are bound by their terms and conditions on "change of mind" returns.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • id probably try it , yes.
    I dont see any drama here
    With love, POSR <3
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It is not unknown for shops to only refund the reduced price of an item. Also unless faulty you are bound by their terms and conditions on "change of mind" returns.
    Whenever I've bought anything and returned it and it's been reduced in the sale, all the 'big' shops have refunded the purchase price - with the receipt (which the OP has).

Unfortunately - as is typical with all MMDs - we don't know if the item was paid for by cash or what the shop's return policy is (just because the Aunt gave the recipient the receipt doesn't mean the shop will refund for 'change of mind'. As we know a lot of people think it's within their legal rights to return goods for 'change of mind and the Aunt may be one of those people).
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why bother to ask a load of strangers - make up your own mind. There's no moral dilemma here.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, go for it.
  • Get the money difference if you can - and give it to your aunt. Or even better, take her out for a nice meal. Hasn't cost you anything!
  • What a faff - unless it's a substantial reduction, why bother, isn't your time worth something too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure