Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 11:12 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 29Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    Maternity pay ... need help
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:12 AM
    Maternity pay ... need help 12th Dec 18 at 11:12 AM
    Hi,

I was planning on TTC in the new year. I employed for a year so I knew I would have been covered for maternity.

I was made redundant on 22nd Nov and walked into a new job on 23rd Nov.

I am struggling to get my head around when I can actually start trying.
    I have to work for the company for 26weks prior to the 15th week before giving birth? It so confusing now.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 3:36 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69
    Did I say that?
    Originally posted by andydownes123

No I agree with you.

It does put employers off.

I'm still on the fence with regards to maternity vs parental leave (and the role of business in supporting the personal choices of their employees)
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 3:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    I am very concerned with leaving my boss in the lurch. But I have always put other people’s business before myself.
    But I cannot live my life thinking and worrying about it anymore.

We have saved tirelessly to get £10k behind us. I was unfortunately made redundant without any warning and found a job to help see me through. I am earning just enough to pay the bills.

I have worked all my adult life and haven’t had the best of luck, being made redundant from all but 2 of 8 jobs.
    I want nothing more than to be a mother, I have money behind me but if I can’t grt maternity pay than why shouldn’t I?!
    Last edited by keighley.johanne; 12-12-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Did I say that?
    Essentially, yes.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:48 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm still on the fence with regards to maternity vs parental leave (and the role of business in supporting the personal choices of their employees)
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Luckily its not up to you.
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 3:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    Would I receive the same criticism if I wasn’t working and lived in a council house asking what benefits I was entiltled to because I wanted a child with someone I’ve been “seeing” for a matter of weeks?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69
    Luckily its not up to you.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Well that's debateable - I have the vote just like you do. But actually it's more of an academic discussion.

I fail to see why private enterprise should be compelled to support these decisions.

Equally I applaud companies that offer enhanced maternity packages - so this isn't an issue of supporting employees. Just that I dislike government interference in private enterprise.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:52 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123
    No I agree with you.

It does put employers off.

Like anything of this nature, it can be exploited. In a large company the impact is negligible, however in a small outfit the impact can be huge.

The dilemma here is: should employers foot the bill for people purposely getting their 'ducks in a row' to ensure the maximum financial reward possible? Exploiting the system to their advantage at the cost of their employers?

But because it's about giving birth, and it is assumed I am a man, I can't possibly have an opinion and have to watch as the lefties turn the debate personal.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:55 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Essentially, yes.

Do you mean:

"you didn't, but I read that way, so yes"?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:57 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Would I receive the same criticism if I wasn’t working and lived in a council house asking what benefits I was entiltled to because I wanted a child with someone I’ve been “seeing” for a matter of weeks?
    Originally posted by keighley.johanne
    Yes you would sadly, I hope you wouldn't judge a woman in that position though.

Misogynists will always exist sadly, but thankfully legislation gets in their way a bit more than it used to. Obviously there wouldn't be any debate if it were men who got pregnant!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 3:57 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69
    Like anything of this nature, it can be exploited. In a large company the impact is negligible, however in a small outfit the impact can be huge.

The dilemma here is: should employers foot the bill for people purposely getting their 'ducks in a row' to ensure the maximum financial reward possible? Exploiting the system to their advantage at the cost of their employers?

But because it's about giving birth, and it is assumed I am a man, I can't possibly have an opinion and have to watch as the lefties turn the debate personal.
    Very well put.

And indeed I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't believe that state intervention should be the 'go to' when people find a situation unpalatable. Lots of places offer enhanced maternity pay, enhance sick leave, enhance annual leave - in a bid to attract talent.

There is a clear risk to reward ratio for both employees and employers.

But smaller businesses suffer from all these changes; and you can see that by walking down most any highstreet. national and multi-national companies (with all the tax implications that go along with that) are causing smaller businesses to close, because they cannot compete on a playing field regulated by the state.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:58 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123

A separate issue but for the sake of argument, yes, if you purposely and constructively timed your exit of employment to ensure you got the maximum benefits at the cost of the tax payer, I would criticize you even more than I am now.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 4:01 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69

Misogynists will always exist sadly, but thankfully legislation gets in their way a bit more than it used to. Obviously there wouldn't be any debate if it were men who got pregnant!

Absolute nonsense. You are making this a gender specific issue.

Couples get pregnant, women give birth.

If your argument in a reasonable debate is to scream misogynist in your opponents face; you've already lost.

This is no different to the 'wage gap', where multivaried analysis shows that women are not paid less for the same work; and younger women outperform their male counterparts in many areas.

But again, I'm a misogynist for wanting to discuss these issues as a man...
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 12th Dec 18, 4:02 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Grezz24
    People should just stick to giving the facts (i myself dont know im afraid) as opposed to questioning the OPs motives / character.

She is playing by the rules, regardless of peoples personal opinions.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 4:04 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123

It's funny. Your 'power to the people' statement on misogyny, 'men don't understand' rhetoric and your poor performance on this thread makes you stand out as larger misandrist than I could ever be a misogynist.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 4:04 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Absolute nonsense. You are making this a gender specific issue.

Couples get pregnant, women give birth.
    Pregnancy is gender specific, couples do not get pregnant, women do.

Couples have babies, couples become parents. Men in opposite sex or same sex male couples do not get pregnant.

That's basic biology really.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 4:06 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69

Couples have babies, couples become parents. Men in opposite sex or same sex male couples do not get pregnant.

Basic biology suggests that it takes two to make a baby - which is exactly what I was saying and you know it.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 4:10 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123

Not quite. Gender is a societal construct and can be different to sex, it's definitely not basic biology by any stretch of the imagination.

It's basic psychology and philosophy really.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 4:11 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    andydownes123

Not quite. Gender is a societal construct and can be different to sex, it's definitely not basic biology by any stretch of the imagination.

That's basic sociology and philosophy really.
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 5:05 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    I have worked all my adult life, I have paid my taxes. At times I have worked 3jobs to ensure I am paying my bills as well as saving to ensure I have money behind us for when we do have children.

Was I wrong to do that?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Dec 18, 6:03 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 8,322 Thanks
    Comms69
    I have worked all my adult life, I have paid my taxes. At times I have worked 3jobs to ensure I am paying my bills as well as saving to ensure I have money behind us for when we do have children.

Was I wrong to do that?
    No, I don’t think anyone is saying that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

17Posts Today

2,619Users online

Martin's Twitter