Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 11:12 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 29Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    Maternity pay ... need help
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:12 AM
    Maternity pay ... need help 12th Dec 18 at 11:12 AM
    Hi,

I was planning on TTC in the new year. I employed for a year so I knew I would have been covered for maternity.

I was made redundant on 22nd Nov and walked into a new job on 23rd Nov.

I am struggling to get my head around when I can actually start trying.
    I have to work for the company for 26weks prior to the 15th week before giving birth? It so confusing now.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 12th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 6,385 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:25 AM
    Basically you have to be working for them before you conceive

You have to be working for them for 26 weeks before you are 25 weeks pregnant (ie 15 weeks before you are due = 40-15 = 25)
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 11:31 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:31 AM
    So can I start TTC now?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 11:35 AM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:35 AM
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:35 AM
    Have you checked your new employer's policy? You may only be entitled to Maternity Allowance rather than any company mat pay.
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 11:49 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:49 AM
    • 12th Dec 18, 11:49 AM
    Have you checked your new employer's policy? You may only be entitled to Maternity Allowance rather than any company mat pay.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Itís a small mechanics I donít have access to any of that. I donít want to ask and risk losing my job
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 12:33 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:33 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:33 PM

I am struggling to get my head around when I can actually start trying.
    I have to work for the company for 26weks prior to the 15th week before giving birth? It so confusing now.
    Originally posted by keighley.johanne

Love this...who said romance was dead?
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 12:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:51 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:51 PM
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    I’ve been with my partner for 15yrs in April. Unfortunately we haven’t been blessed with a child yet. We have saved £10k to help with loss of my earnings during maternity.

I have been told by my go that they won’t help us until we have been actively trying for 18months, which I need to inform him when we have officially started.

Thanks for input
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:52 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 12:52 PM
    What's romance got to do with it? This is MSE and financial planning before creating a new person is very sensible!
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 1:21 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 12th Dec 18, 1:21 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 1:21 PM
    What's romance got to do with it? This is MSE and financial planning before creating a new person is very sensible!

Making sure said new person falls within the scope of employer maternity contributions to the day seems more ruthless than sensible to me !
    • keighley.johanne
    • By keighley.johanne 12th Dec 18, 1:28 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keighley.johanne
    Making sure said new person falls within the scope of employer maternity contributions to the day seems more ruthless than sensible to me !
    Like I said I have been with my partner for 15yrs, we do not have children. We purchased our home at 21, it has never been the right time financially to have a child.
    If we donít do it now we never will.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 12th Dec 18, 1:50 PM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 7,587 Thanks
    Kynthia
    It's very sensible. You would criticize someone who had a baby when they couldn't afford to and criticize someone who tries to make sure they are in employment and entitled to a workplace benefit. Women can't win. Employers are business and have many costs and responsibilities, yet rather than expect a business to meet their obligations you'd rather have a go at individual women? Do you encourage people not to join their workplace pension as that costs employers too? I hope you've opted out as why should your employer fund your retirement?

1 in 9 pregnant women unfairly lose their job when pregnant, 1 in 5 face harassment and negative comments at work and 1 in 10 are discouraged from attending essential antenatal appointments. It's harrowing enough to face all this without being accused of being mercenary just for trying to be as secure as you can be, especially when you don't even know if you can conceive and it might take a year or more. It's very easy to criticize when you'll never be in that position.
    Last edited by Kynthia; 12-12-2018 at 2:01 PM.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Nub
    • By Nub 12th Dec 18, 1:51 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Nub
    Basically you have to be working for them before you conceive

You have to be working for them for 26 weeks before you are 25 weeks pregnant (ie 15 weeks before you are due = 40-15 = 25)
    Originally posted by clairec79
    For clarity, due dates are calculated as if you conceived on the first day of your last AF (I hope this is the right acronym) before getting pregnant - essentially going back ~2 weeks. The new year should be more than fine though. (for statutory maternity, company rules could entitle you to more if you've been there longer)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Ruthless? Why?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Dec 18, 2:51 PM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 11,122 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    It's very sensible. You would criticize someone who had a baby when they couldn't afford to and criticize someone who tries to make sure they are in employment and entitled to a workplace benefit. Women can't win. Employers are business and have many costs and responsibilities, yet rather than expect a business to meet their obligations you'd rather have a go at individual women? Do you encourage people not to join their workplace pension as that costs employers too? I hope you've opted out as why should your employer fund your retirement?

1 in 9 pregnant women unfairly lose their job when pregnant, 1 in 5 face harassment and negative comments at work and 1 in 10 are discouraged from attending essential antenatal appointments. It's harrowing enough to face all this without being accused of being mercenary just for trying to be as secure as you can be, especially when you don't even know if you can conceive and it might take a year or more. It's very easy to criticize when you'll never be in that position.
    Originally posted by Kynthia

I can see your argument but we're not talking about someone who has been in their job for a while...the OP has been in her position for less than a month (& yes I do appreciate that it may take sometime for her to conceive).

Again we don't know the size of the business involved - it may be a multi national who can easily absorb the disruption that having a member of staff going off for a year would cause or it may be a small concern where it will have greater impact especially so soon after being employed.

I understand the position of the OP and would probably be asking the same question if I was in her position but I wish people would see that this sort of situation is why some employers are put off employing women in the first place.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:00 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I can see your argument but we're not talking about someone who has been in their job for a while...the OP has been in her position for less than a month (& yes I do appreciate that it may take sometime for her to conceive).

Again we don't know the size of the business involved - it may be a multi national who can easily absorb the disruption that having a member of staff going off for a year would cause or it may be a small concern where it will have greater impact especially so soon after being employed.

I understand the position of the OP and would probably be asking the same question if I was in her position but I wish people would see that this sort of situation is why some employers are put off employing women in the first place.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Wow! No, just no.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:07 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Wow! No, just no.

And you think it doesn't happen...
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:09 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    And you think it doesn't happen...
    Of course it happens, but it is not the fault of women for daring to have babies!
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:09 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    andydownes123

Originally posted by Kynthia

Ahh the classic victim shaming. May I just say that OP has recently joined a place of employment and is actively calculating the exact time she can cash in on the maternity policy - I say, as I have, that's pretty ruthless behavior to expect, and plan for that matter, for an employer to pick up the tab.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Dec 18, 3:12 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Ahh the classic victim shaming. May I just say that OP has recently joined a place of employment and is actively calculating the exact time she can cash in on the maternity policy - I say, as I have, that's pretty ruthless behavior to expect and plan for that matter for an employer to pick up the tab.
    She's in her mid thirties and she wants a child. She was made redundant from her last job.

What do you think she should have done?

Maybe her new employers are not Neanderthals and will actually be supportive. She'll probably only be entitled to maternity allowance anyway, and if the business cant cope with that then it isn't going to survive anyway.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 12th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Of course it happens, but it is not the fault of women for daring to have babies!

Did I say that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,128Posts Today

10,001Users online

Martin's Twitter