Emergency Fund Poll - How prepared are you for an emergency?

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes - I'm MSE to the core! Emergency Fund at the ready!
    We would be fine as we have more than enough cash to cover any emergency - even if the house were to burn down.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    No emergency fund, no credit cards so I would be beggared if anything broke down or have to go and speak nicely to the bank of mum and dad.

I've not had a chance to really build one, I was a carer for family members for several years and now I am disabled, working very minimal hours and not claiming any income top ups. All this means that after paying essential bills and having a very tight (read miniscule) food budget, there are only pennies left to put into my savings pot.

That said, I managed to get it up to almost £100 just before Christmas by sweeping (Tilly Tidying) my small change in my purse over at the end of each day but the boys being home from uni and resultant higher food costs and a higher than expected bill has pretty much wiped it out.

Mind you, I suppose that is what an emergency fund is for, without that pot I really would have been beggared and scrabbling around.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • SingleSue wrote: »

I've not had a chance to really build one, I was a carer for family members for several years and now I am disabled, working very minimal hours and not claiming any income top ups. All this means that after paying essential bills and having a very tight (read miniscule) food budget, there are only pennies left to put into my savings pot.

Does this mean you are not entitled or you are entitled but not claiming? If the latter please reconsider and take what is rightly yours!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am an avid collector - of money! Every spare penny gets squirreled away into savings.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Entitled but not claiming, not sure my mental health would survive the ESA process intact, so I made the decision to do what I can workwise and be frugal instead.

Unfortunately, my body is not able to cope with much, hence the low hours.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • SingleSue wrote: »
    Entitled but not claiming, not sure my mental health would survive the ESA process intact

I'm sorry to hear that, what a terrible indictment of the current system. :(
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE_Tine wrote: »
    Or why not join other Forumites on the £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge? :money:

It’s interesting you put 1k as the emergency fund amount.
    My mother used to say in the 80s you needed 1k as an emergency fund.
  • I did have some emergency funds, as I have tried hard to save what I can even though I am on benefits. However, I have recently had a few unexpected expenses at a time when my income went down and my expenses increased. I've got about £90 left in my emergency fund. I'm hoping to build it up again, but it's not looking likely for a few months.
  • justry4n
    justry4n Posts: 50 Forumite
    Yes, I have an emergency fund for these events. I also pay for insurance for my boiler for these occasions.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've a small amount stashed that I routinely dent for the lads birthdays & Christmas but I keep rebuilding it.
    Thinking of a car or boiler, I need to try harder.
    <heads off the challenge thread>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport