Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 8th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    • 166Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale?
    • 8th Jan 19, 4:36 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale? 8th Jan 19 at 4:36 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My aunt got me a Christmas present and included the receipt in case I wanted to take it back. I've since seen it in the shops at a much lower price - should I take it back, rebuy at the cheaper price and pocket the saving?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • marich
    • By marich 9th Jan 19, 10:14 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    marich
    Do it with Love !
    Is it OK for me to pocket the money ? Well , I can see the dilemma...

You know you are being sneaky - you want permission to be bad to the shop and some folk here are saying 'Yes' to you - but you know this isn't being honest (and so do they !) ,

So let's say you are going to go ahead and make some money from the deal ... now ask yourself whose money it is . It was with the shop , it's in your pocket now - but it was once your sainted auntie's loving pennies . Should you give it back to her ?

I like Dilys Em's post - go and give your auntie a treat ! Take her for a pint , bring some chocolates , drop in with some shopping . It was her love for you that gave you the present - have you enough love for her to give something back ? Or are you a meanie through-and-through ?

Do it with love !
    • archie1411
    • By archie1411 9th Jan 19, 10:22 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    archie1411
    The moral compass of those posting appears defective. It was a present. Providing you like it, why would you want to take it back or "rebuy" it - or are we all so obsessed with the few pounds we would gain that we would sacrifice the pleasure (and point) of exchanging gifts. If anyone does decide to rebuy, I hope in future they will tell anyone who is likely to buy them a gift exactly what they did - I suspect that would have a big impact on the number and value of gifts received, because it throws in to sharp relief how little you think of the gift giver
    • Paddybill
    • By Paddybill 9th Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paddybill
    Yes
    Yes take it back get your money back then buy it back again I always do it if I find they have reduced the item i did it not long ago with a new mobile for my wife saving me £220 good luck paddybill
    • poik
    • By poik 9th Jan 19, 11:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    poik
    No way!
    Absolutely NOT. It was a gift for heaven's sake! Say thank you and be grateful.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    • 21,448 Posts
    • 58,041 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The moral compass of those posting appears defective. It was a present. Providing you like it, why would you want to take it back or "rebuy" it - or are we all so obsessed with the few pounds we would gain that we would sacrifice the pleasure (and point) of exchanging gifts. If anyone does decide to rebuy, I hope in future they will tell anyone who is likely to buy them a gift exactly what they did - I suspect that would have a big impact on the number and value of gifts received, because it throws in to sharp relief how little you think of the gift giver
    Originally posted by archie1411
    Isn't it more accurate to say that 'the moral compass of the person asking the question appears defective'?
    • penarthian
    • By penarthian 9th Jan 19, 12:24 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    penarthian
    I agree
    I totally agree and would not normally want to return items unless faulty but in the context of the question the goods may have been bought some time ago or the policy of the shop might only to stick to its legal obligations.
    • penarthian
    • By penarthian 9th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    penarthian
    I agree
    To be fair, keeping the receipt when not planning on potentially doing a 'no fault' return for two months is a bit pointless. What if the shop doesn't even stock the item anymore? The only value the shop would get from taking the goods back as a goodwill gesture would be to stick it straight into clearance. Statutory rights don't extend to this scenario for a reason.
    Originally posted by VT82
    I totally agree and would not normally want to return items unless faulty but in the context of the question the goods may have been bought some time ago or the policy of the shop might only to stick to its legal obligations.
    • Elaina123
    • By Elaina123 9th Jan 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elaina123
    Should I rebuy my gift in the sale?
    If you can take it back and get the money back for it, why not. If you like the top, then buy it back at the cheaper price and spend the difference on something else. I'm sure your aunt wouldn't mind, as you still have the top. I recently did that and got two tops for the price of one!! Savvy shopping!!!
    • Fightfair
    • By Fightfair 9th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fightfair
    Wrong sudokulover
    There is a time limit on goodwill refunds after which at the shops discretion you may get a credit voucher but only to the value of the current price. Not the price originally paid.
    • Fightfair
    • By Fightfair 9th Jan 19, 1:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fightfair
    Tempting but no
    Tempting yes but, as it was free to you, it couldn't be any cheaper. Also with the current climate think what would happen if everyone did this after Christmas. There wouldn't be many shops still trading next Christmas.
    • sudokulover
    • By sudokulover 9th Jan 19, 3:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    sudokulover
    I had a FULL refund (in credit voucher) and was told it was M&S policy.
    Before i returned the goods I actually phoned M&S who told me to return the goods for a full refund to my local M&S. I was surprised too.
    • kevChan
    • By kevChan 9th Jan 19, 10:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kevChan
    your choice. not a dilemma at all
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 11th Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    The only problem I see here is if you take it back, get a refund and then try to buy it back reduced but you then can't find it again. The shop is unlikely to take it back and then immediately sell it back to you at the reduced price = I would try to do this if you can and you really need the money and it's really worth the hassle of taking it back too!

What happens if you can't buy it again - will your aunt ask you if you kept it and what you bought instead and ask to see it?

There's a lot of information needed here - as usual, so do whatever you think is best and also how your family relations are with your aunt, as that could be a bit of a minefield in some families!!

Good luck
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 11th Jan 19, 5:31 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    My husband bought me some jeans from M and S in October and put them away as a Christmas present together with receipt of £35. Come Christmas Day I was a few stone lighter and jeans too big so I took jeans back for exchange or refund.
    I was told the receipt was too old to have full refund and could only give refund based on price jeans selling now. I was offered £3.50 as they had been in their sale !!!
    Originally posted by penarthian

I would write to their head office as an official complaint about this, what a ruddy cheek they've got offering you that little instead of the amount your husband paid.

Put in your letter that you've managed to lose a lot of weight, which should be celebrated and you shouldn't be punished for doing so by their company!

When you get your reply, hopefully it'll be good news, if not go to their Twitter and Facebook accounts and highlight what happened to you and how bad this is of M&S to treat you in such a bad way.

Also do lots of tweets and posts about it - quite often companies will have their accounts on these social medias, monitored by members of staff who will contact you about it and they may then sort it out as it's giving them bad publicity!

Good luck.
    • whyigetmorelikes
    • By whyigetmorelikes 11th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    whyigetmorelikes
    Happens all the time.
    • vicker
    • By vicker 12th Jan 19, 10:55 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    vicker
    My husband bought me some jeans from M and S in October and put them away as a Christmas present together with receipt of £35. Come Christmas Day I was a few stone lighter and jeans too big so I took jeans back for exchange or refund.
    I was told the receipt was too old to have full refund and could only give refund based on price jeans selling now. I was offered £3.50 as they had been in their sale !!!
    Originally posted by penarthian
    Well done on losing a few stone in that short time
    👏👏👏👏👏👏
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 14th Jan 19, 5:55 AM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    Marvel1
    I would write to their head office as an official complaint about this, what a ruddy cheek they've got offering you that little instead of the amount your husband paid.

Put in your letter that you've managed to lose a lot of weight, which should be celebrated and you shouldn't be punished for doing so by their company!

When you get your reply, hopefully it'll be good news, if not go to their Twitter and Facebook accounts and highlight what happened to you and how bad this is of M&S to treat you in such a bad way.

Also do lots of tweets and posts about it - quite often companies will have their accounts on these social medias, monitored by members of staff who will contact you about it and they may then sort it out as it's giving them bad publicity!

Good luck.
    Originally posted by happyinflorida
    Or simply exchange for another size.
    • Oasis1
    • By Oasis1 14th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    Oasis1
    Yes. Easiest 'moral dilemma' I've seen!

• gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 15th Jan 19, 7:04 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    gaving7095
    If you can be bothered then yes, why not try :-)
    • Organza_Lace
    • By Organza_Lace 15th Jan 19, 7:18 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Organza_Lace
    Depends on how much the saving is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,530Posts Today

8,396Users online

Martin's Twitter