Firms STILL threatening to charge card fees nine months after ban - MSE News

Options
Customers are still wrongly being told they'll be charged extra to pay by credit or debit card despite a law change making such fees illegal since January, MoneySavingExpert.com has found...
Read the full story:
'Firms STILL threatening to charge card fees nine months after ban'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• p5x
    p5x Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    I tried paying for my car insurance with my credit card but it got declined (not had this problem elsewhere), phoned my CC provider, they said we've not had any requests for payment to come through so they must be blocking it at their end. I then used it my debit card to pay and it went through first time.

I assume some companies are sneakily doing this to avoid people using credit cards.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    p5x wrote: »

I assume some companies are sneakily doing this to avoid people using credit cards.

They don't need to be sneaky about it, no company is required to take credit card payments if they don't want to - for example, HMRC stopped taking personal credit card payment in Jnauary 2018.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 November 2018 at 12:38PM
    Options
    I recently renewed our vehicle licence online and was warned of an additional charge for paying by credit card. I paid by debit card - just in case.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recently renewed our vehicle licence online and was warned of an additional charge for paying by credit card. I paid by debit card - just in case.
    I was also looking out for this when renewing recently, after seeing similar warnings on here, but the wording did make it clear that surcharges are only applied if a business card is used, not a personal one, so it's all as it should be there....
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    They don't need to be sneaky about it, no company is required to take credit card payments if they don't want to - for example, HMRC stopped taking personal credit card payment in Jnauary 2018.
    ...But if it is an option when you come to pay then yes they have to accept it.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My local council still charges extra for credit cards, naughty naughty.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 November 2018 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Paid my road tax a few days ago by credit card the form actually said no fee unless paying with a business card.
  • mountains5
    Options
    I've renewed three vehicle licences online in the last few months and been charged £2.50 for using a credit card online each time.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I renewed mine using the phone line & didn't get charges - so perhaps that is the difference.

If you are renewing 3 vehicles is it possible you are using a credit card which is not a personal one. Alternatively next time do it by phone!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    just eat etc call it a service fee now and charge everyone, even if you want to pay cash
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure