Night shift and hoilday

I do two nights in a care home not the same days each week.
I was told i had 4 weeks hoikday
I booked to not work this Sunday I havent actually worked a Sunday but I needed it off
It has taken it as a day hoiday on my hoildays but they still rota me two shifts this week. Am i right thinking surely I should only do 12 hours as i took a holiday day?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    There's no such thing as "rules" for this sort of situation. They may pay you additionally for booked holiday. You need to talk to your employer. Since you only work two days a week and booked a day you don't work, they may have assumed that was what you wanted.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Especially if it's needing to be used up we've put in our 'days off' as annual leave for the money
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Do you have a contract or anything?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Especially if it's needing to be used up we've put in our 'days off' as annual leave for the money

Unions have campaigned for years to improve terms of service, these are hard won victories, yet individuals give them away for money \0/
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    Unions have campaigned for years to improve terms of service, these are hard won victories, yet individuals give them away for money \0/
    And in most circumstances would be unlawful as well. You cannot sell your holidays like that. It may be possible in the OPs circumstances only because they have part-time hours and, from the sounds of it, variable days of work.

Having said that, on reflection, I'm a bit confused by the four weeks holiday that they say they have, because four weeks is at least 20 days (even if that includes public holidays) - rather a lot for a part-time care home worker.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Kittyrules wrote: »

They lied. BY LAW you have 5.6 weeks pro-rata so if you work 2x8hrs a week you have 5.6 x 16hrs.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    And in most circumstances would be unlawful as well. You cannot sell your holidays like that. It may be possible in the OPs circumstances only because they have part-time hours and, from the sounds of it, variable days of work.

Having said that, on reflection, I'm a bit confused by the four weeks holiday that they say they have, because four weeks is at least 20 days (even if that includes public holidays) - rather a lot for a part-time care home worker.

Four weeks should be four weeks of the individual's contracted hours and, of course, is the European entitlement. The extra 1.6 weeks we get in addition in the UK was meant to cover the customary bank holidays. Perhaps this employer deals with that element separately, We cannot know.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kittyrules wrote: »
    I do two nights in a care home not the same days each week.
    I booked to not work this Sunday I havent actually worked a Sunday but I needed it off
    It has taken it as a day hoiday on my hoildays but they still rota me two shifts this week. Am i right thinking surely I should only do 12 hours as i took a holiday day?
    Tarambor wrote: »
    They lied. BY LAW you have 5.6 weeks pro-rata so if you work 2x8hrs a week you have 5.6 x 16hrs.

Pedant mode:

The Op appears to work 2 x 12 hour nightshifts (presumably there are unpaid breaks in there?) so entitlement is 5.6 x 24 hours.

I'm guessing the Op booked the Sunday to ensure they were not rotad on that day but hadn't clarified they only wanted to do one shift that week. OP needs to discuss & clarify with her employer what the rules are for booking leave with her firm - otherwise they could end up working 52 weeks a year and getting holidays paid on top. That might be fine for some people but would mean never being able to have a proper holiday.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Double check your holiday entitlement as pro rata and also any holiday or leave policies that specifically state how to take a holiday and how to book one so you are in fact following company policy in that respect,

As for that specific situation I would recommend speaking to your line manager and saying you wanted the Sunday off as part of your holiday entitlement and to work your other contracted night shift as normal and see if this can be accommodated.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Buying out holiday is relatively easy, it is against the spirit of the law but can be structured in a way that is legal for most people.

For part timers this is easy as long as there are enough spare days in the week that could be used.

This is one reason that paying holiday in each pay cycle as it accrues can work for part/variable time workers as long as there would have been enough time to take it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure