Credit card dispute - credit score

Hi all,

Really sorry if this isn't the Correct place to post. I'm just getting used to the site after joining.

I'd love if someone could tell me where I stand with the below.

I applied for a vanquis credit card in 2014 to try to build my credit. They couldn't verify me but sent me a card anyway. I've checked my credit file and they've marked it as a settled debt. The card has never been used or even active as far as I was aware.

I'm only posting here because it's a different situation from genuine disputes and I am so angry as I've seen on here that settled is just as bad on your file as a default etc.

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated :j
Nicole

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Who on earth told you that settled is as bad as a default?

Settled is positive and a default is a kick in the gonads. Nothing in common at all.

If you want it removed, contact them and raise a complaint.

And you have no credit score.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Who on earth told you that settled is as bad as a default?

Settled is positive and a default is a kick in the gonads. Nothing in common at all.

If you want it removed, contact them and raise a complaint.

And you have no credit score.

The OP saw it mentioned on mse that settled is as bad as a default.
  • Experian, literally every site I go on?

There was never an active account. That's my problem. They've also been very difficult to deal with and I'm getting nowhere. This is also completely new to me as I've decided to fully commit to building my credit up and I'm at a loss on what to do now.
  • Yes, I saw it on a thread on here sifting through. It also states it on experian etc so I'm concerned about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Since it's not true, forget about it.

Raise a complaint.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A settled debt without any sign of late payments is fine, it's the standard way of reporting any debt that has been paid off without issue.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/settled-or-satisfied-credit/
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,846 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Nicolem wrote: »
    Yes, I saw it on a thread on here sifting through. It also states it on experian etc so I'm concerned about it.

You are mixing up settled defaulted debt, with a normal settled account.

You have no axe to grind here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 25 June 2018 at 3:20AM
    They haven't marked it as settled debt have they? The word debt doesn't appear does it?
    The account is showing as settled because that is the correct status of the account as it is no longer active. Presumably at some point Vanquis wrote to you informing you that the account was to be closed for non-use.
    I am wondering why, having applied for the card for the stated purpose of building your credit, you never actually used the card when you received it. Very odd. You are also wrong about there never having been and active account in the first place. What do you imagine the status of the account was when you received the card?
    Can you give some information about the reporting history of the account? For how many months was it open? How many months are actually reported and what is the status for each month that was reported? When was the account last updated?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There was never an active account.
    I applied for a vanquis credit card in 2014 to try to build my credit. They ... sent me a card

Which is correct? Either you had a card (and therefore an account) or you didn't.

Either way, from the situation you have described it sounds like there will be absolutely no negative impact to your credit history whatsoever.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Experian, literally every site I go on?

There was never an active account. That's my problem. They've also been very difficult to deal with and I'm getting nowhere. This is also completely new to me as I've decided to fully commit to building my credit up and I'm at a loss on what to do now.

Make it active, then, spend spend spend....then pay pay pay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport