BANK CHARGES - Is it too late to reclaim Overdraft

Can someone please advise me if it is too late to claim current account late fees and over draft fees etc?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you are no longer a customer of the Bank you hope will refund you then there is no point even trying. Historical charges are not refunded.

Since the 2009 court case bank charges have not been reclaimable unless you can demonstrate that you are in the bank's definition of CURRENT Financial Hardship.

Even then, any refund is a goodwill gesture and will typically be only very recent charges. Alternatively, the Bank can also suggest a debt management programme or choose to suspend interest for a period.
  • Fleur52
    Fleur52 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thanks.

I am with the same Bank, however, I do not have any overdrafts now, and was just wondering if I could claim the previous years going back to 2010.
    Thought someone may have had any success getting refunds.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Fleur52 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I am with the same Bank, however, I do not have any overdrafts now, and was just wondering if I could claim the previous years going back to 2010.

There are only two known successes since the banks won in 2009. Both of those involved strange circumstances. Including the customer being looked in the bank interview room.

Since the banks won in 2009, the reclaiming of charges ended. Except on CURRENT financial hardship cases where the bank may consider refunding some recent charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Fleur52 wrote: »
    Why would they?

As already explained (twice), the Banks won their court case about charges in 2009.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure