Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have managed to seriously cut sugar and cheese altogether. I started at the same time as I began to reduce alcohol. I'm sure cutting down on alcohol helped me get sugar under control. You seem to be doing well on many fronts. Well done :T

I've never really had a problem with sugary things but I also found I cut back on cheese and crisps when I cut back on alcohol. I think it was about self control going out of the window when I'd had a few to drink.:o

I hoped when I cut down alcohol I would miraculously lose weight but it didn't happen.:( I tried Slimming World and lost all the extra pounds within the year and have kept them off for almost 8 years now.:D What suits me about it is that it gives a framework with a set amount of treats of your choice per week. To me, that's a healthy way of eating. It's not that chocolate or crisps or cheese or cakes or biscuits or whatever are bad in themselves but we all know they should be a treat in moderation. I know some people set themselves up a treat jar or tuck box with their treats for the week and when its gone it's gone.:eek:

No drinking here today.

3/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • 3/22 please

Thank you.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Glenda
    Glenda Posts: 150 Forumite
    4/25 here please Baileys.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    1 AFD for Monday, 2AFDs for Wednesday
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 6/21 for me please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    5/30 please Bailey (and I think it is beginning to get better/easier, well today it feels that way)

The longer you stay off the booze the easier it gets. I always found drinking in moderation is one of the toughest ways of dealing with it, to be honest.
    maman wrote: »
    I know some people set themselves up a treat jar or tuck box with their treats for the week and when its gone it's gone.:eek:

My problem is that on Mondays I'm always able to convince myself that I won't mind not having any treats later in the week - that never worked!

6/30 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2018 at 9:14AM
    Morning!

5/28 and 5/90 please Baileys.

This week I have cut out the booze.
    Next week it's refined sugars. (no sticky buns or chocolate)
    Then it'll be no carbs the following 2 weeks . This worked really well for me in Feb so I'm going to do it again and hopefully get down to my target weight for April (15st 7lbs) before month-end.

Have a nice weekend :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all :hello:

I have finally found a de-alcoholised (that is what is says on the label!) wine that I quite like :j. It says that it is 'less than 0.5% ABV' but I am not sure whether that counts for an AFD if I have a glass in the evening? I know that HB's favourite is 0.05% ABV and is considered 'alcohol-free' but have found conflicting information on various websites - some say anything under 0.5% is considered 'non-alcoholic' and others say it has to be 0.05% or less to be 'alcohol-free' - I am very confused :(

I realise that it is obviously better for me than to drink standard ABV wines but I don't know if I will be 'cheating' if I declare an AFD if I have some :o

Any advice gratefully received :)
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Now up to 3/15 for me. On track so far, let's just hope I can keep it that way! I would love to be in a position where I exceed my target this month
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good afternoon,
    5 please Baileys
    Arkers x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income