Old school gamer looking for new games to play

Options
Hi all you young gamers

Can you recommend some new games as I want to buy the PS4. I grew up playing Mario Brothers, Sonic and all the other greats Yes I am thus old I do remember having an atari. My favourite game was Mario Kart on the WII until Nintendo killed the online player and have not been able to create another game on the same level. Very sad day for me and my friends, hence why I want to switch..... I like story type games and driving games but not into GTA. Not my thing. Plus I can't play all the shooter games, it gives me high blood pressure.... LOL. Plus I get killed all the time. All Recommendations are welcome plus where to buy? any good deals? etc etc. Go on help a old school gamer get into the new world of gaming! Plus I will be setting it up with my Sony HDTV so picture quality of game is very important to me. Cheers for any help.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Trackmania Nations Forever is a great free solo/online arcade-style racing game. Trackmania United Forever has several other cars, and lots of extra tracks, and costs £20 online (but the DVD is probably cheaper on Amazon, etc.)

Nations: http://trackmaniaforever.com/nations/ (download link)
    United: http://uk-maniaplanet.nexway.com/games/others/trackmania-united-forever-721835.html

I've been thinking about buying an indie adventure game called Fran Bow. I've just seen there's a demo, so I'll download that later. The full game is 70% off at the moment too, making it £3.49 via GOG or Steam.

http://www.franbow.com/
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Uncharted 4, uncharted the lost legacy, rise of the tomb raider, horizon zero dawn, the last of us, resident evil 7. All good games. Sorry if they are not your kind of game but they are great.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 October 2017 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Just a few ideas OP

How about RPGs eg Elder Scroll games, they have a story element to a point.
    GT or Grand Tourismo for a driving game.

As for where to buy well there's Amazon, Shopto, Game (not always the cheapest), use hukd for any deals in the run up to Christmas.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    edited 30 October 2017 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Young? Us lot? Ha! Anyway yes I can definitely help you out here.

Non shooter games with amazing stories that I have played and can recommend:

Life Is Strange
    You play a college student with the ability to reverse time. Crazy stuff keeps happening, including everything from kidnap to town destroying storms. The story here was very touching too though. Stayed with me for a long time. As did a few of the choices I made. One of my all time favourite games.

Beyond Two Souls & Heavy Rain (you can buy them together for PS4)
    Beyond Two Souls - a story about a woman who has a sort of powerful spirit who lives within her but can leave her body too. It sounds weird but it's so, so good. It's all about choices. She has a pretty incredible life and works for the CIA at one point so it's an exciting thriller at times. But you also get to see her life as a kid so you get to control her at a friend's party too - and the things you do when she's young affect her when she's older. It's hard to explain but I loved it. Stars Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe.
    Heavy Rain - A noir thriller. You control multiple people involved in a serial killer mystery. The twists and turns are shocking! I was so engrossed in figuring out the mystery I couldn't put it down! Again, a lot of this is about choices you make and you don't go around shooting people or anything.

Journey is a no shooting game where you control this little character and travel through the desert and sometimes another player will show up in your world and you can travel together if you like. You can't communicate with them, they're just there. It's so eerily comforting though to not be alone. It's a short one but good.

The Walking Dead (1 and 2)
    If you've read the comics or seen the show you'll know what this is about. The games are fantastic though - you don't follow characters from the comic or show it's just set in that world. This is another game about choices (a lot of modern non-shooters are) where you follow an amazing story and it's up to you how it unfolds. It hit me right in the feels a few times. Great couple of games.

This War Of Mine
    Damn this one is depressing. It's set in a war zone but you're not a fighter, you're a civilian caught up in it. You just want to survive. It's about making your shelter hospitable, scavenging food, deciding whether or not to rob others when you get desperate, sneaking around dangerous buildings. Your characters can get depressed if they get too hungry or cold. But also if they are too ruthless in the pursuit of food. It's not like anything I've played before.

They recently re-released the Crash Bandicoot games on PS4 you might enjoy that! It's a carbon copy of the originals but with better graphics so not much more I can say about those.

Rocket League
    It's football - but with cars! It sounds crazy and it 100% is but it's a whole lot of fun! Especially when you play online with your friends. Word of warning: it's hard to master the controls at first. But it does get easier I promise.

Games without shooting that I haven't played so can't tell you much about, I've just heard of them:

There are a lot of Lego games which I don't believe entail a lot of shooting and are probably more similar to the Nintendo and Sega games of the past. It's aimed at a family audience so you would probably die less in these games. They look a lot of fun but I haven't played any. You can get a wide variety from Marvel to Harry Potter themed.

If you like fighting games there's the new Marvel vs Capcom one out.

Minecraft and The Sims are not shooters but then they're not story driven either.

Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne (all these have hand to hand combat weapons rather than guns)

I don't know anything about car racing games so can't recommend any of those, just not my thing.

When you get the hang of the new controls etc if you do want to play a game that has a bit of shooting in but not too much I recommend the Uncharted series or Tomb Raider because there is plenty of non-shooting exploration, climbing, and puzzles etc to do inbetween the shooting. The stories of those are very good too, and less heavy that some of the recommendations I've given. Think Indiana Jones type story lines. Uncharted (2 onwards) and Beyond Two Souls are probably the best looking games out of the lot I've recommended to you, which is funny because they were originally out on the PS3!

I think you should consider a Playstation Plus subscription. It works out at like £4 a month and you get new free games to play each month (and you get to download them and keep for as long as you want, you don't have to play them within the month). I have found this to be very cost effective. You tend to get one big popular game each month and then a few indie games too. If you're looking for non-shooters the indie games are where it's at!

Any questions about any of the games I've mentioned and I will be more than happy to help. Also, if you're looking for console deals or more info about PS+ you can check out the MSE page: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/playstation-consoles-games-deals
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • buttermeregirl
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for all the information and recommendations, I will take everything into consideration when I buy the console and check all the sites you all suggested. Really can't wait to get gaming now and check out some of the games that you all suggest.

Chickabiddybex I like the idea of a subscription will go for that, I never knew you could do that, so thank you. I also love the Walking Dead, TV show so I think that will be one game I will have to own and the other story ones sound amazing. Tomb Raider was a movie I enjoyed so feel I might also like the game, will try this one too.

I really miss playing Mario Kart and Super Mario is there any suggestions on games similar to this, I don't mind if its a kids game....... LOL

Cheers Again
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Honestly, you'd be better off getting a Switch with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for all the information and recommendations, I will take everything into consideration when I buy the console and check all the sites you all suggested. Really can't wait to get gaming now and check out some of the games that you all suggest.

Chickabiddybex I like the idea of a subscription will go for that, I never knew you could do that, so thank you. I also love the Walking Dead, TV show so I think that will be one game I will have to own and the other story ones sound amazing. Tomb Raider was a movie I enjoyed so feel I might also like the game, will try this one too.

I really miss playing Mario Kart and Super Mario is there any suggestions on games similar to this, I don't mind if its a kids game....... LOL

Cheers Again

I'm not sure there are any games like Mario Kart and Super Mario on the PS4, as mentioned a Switch might be better as you have Mario Kart and Super Mario.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ahh I grew up with the games you mention too :)

What you need is the Nintendo switch - with Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Not very money saving BUT it will make you fall in love with computer games again I promise ;)
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Buy a Raspberry Pi and check out a site called Retropie...you can add all the games you used to love playing to your raspberry pi setup - we have one set up at home with all your old favourites from Nintendo/Sega etc
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    I've been mucking about with emulators recently. I still find the old games pretty fun, I think the retropie idea is a good one, especially if you are a really casual gamer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure