Default Notice for Early payment

I'm not entirely sure this is even Legal, but Natwest bank have issued (well, skipped the default notice, actually) a termination of account letter because i paid early! I have a payment plan that Natwest have agreed to and i have stuck to religiously and because i have been paying two or three weeks early, according to the Natwest representative, does not class as a payment because the computer does not recognise it as a payment. Is this Legal and what do i do about it? I have not missed one payment since 2009.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is this a credit card you are talking about.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • no it was a current bank account
  • McKneff
    Forumite
    So you owed them money re an overdraft, am I right?
  • well, it was a current account with an overdraft but CAB arranged a payment plan that Natwest had agreed to to settle the account over time. It can only be paid into now, which is fine.
  • McKneff
    Forumite
    If it works the same as payments to a credit card, the problem is is that you are paying it too early.
    The computer is set to take payments within a certain period. You have presumably paid the first month, then the next one early so the computer says yu paid it twice in one month, consequently all the other payments which you think have been early have in fact been allocated to the following month.

Speak to them again, nicely, they may waive the charge if its a first offence. In future, set up a dd to pay it on time so it is allocated in the correct month, otherwise you will find the same thing happens again.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi MamaB, thank you for your query re default notice
    I am presuming from your post that you have been in financial difficulties and negotiated reduced repayment offers for your debts with the help of the CAB. These are informal agreements and often do not stop the usual collection cycle so after x number of months of the account being dormant and only the minimum payments being made the account will often default and close and the account be transferred to the bank's collection department to set up a longer term repayment plan. If the bank has charged you for the default or said it has cancelled the payment arrangement because if this payment being made early then you could consider making a complaint and taking it to the Financial Ombusdman Service but a bank has the right to end it's relationship with you at any time (as long as they provide notice) and the CAB adviser you saw should have warned you that entering into a reduced payment plan with you creditors can damage your credit rating, although not as badly as doing nothing and making no payments to your debts which would often end up in a CCJ. I would suggest that you continue to make the agreed repayments and if the bank refuses to accept them I would suggest you send them a new financial statement or budget. You can find more information about negotiating repayment arrangements with creditors at www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    MamaB wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure this is even Legal, but Natwest bank have issued (well, skipped the default notice, actually) a termination of account letter because i paid early! I have a payment plan that Natwest have agreed to and i have stuck to religiously and because i have been paying two or three weeks early, according to the Natwest representative, does not class as a payment because the computer does not recognise it as a payment. Is this Legal and what do i do about it? I have not missed one payment since 2009.

Hi MamaB - as you arranged a payment plan with your CAB, we'd recommend talking to them about this and seeing if they can help - especially as you've not missed any of the payments.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure