Finding dining table & chairs

We are in Bristol and trying to find a dining table and chairs. We have seen loads online but my partner won’t commit to buying anything until he sees it in person and gets to sit at it etc!

Any recommendations of places that do decent quality dining tables and chairs that we can go and visit and actually look at in person? We’ve tried all of the chain stores local to us (Next, Furniture Village, Ikea etc) but no joy yet :(

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Leekes Thornbury.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does it have to be new? If not what about your local British Heart Foundation shop
    I got a great table and 6 chairs in my local one. Much better than anything I could find in regular shops, and of course a fraction of the price of a new table.:money:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Tables are the cheap bit, decent chairs cost the money.

A trawl of the second hand market can prove fruitful once you have an idea of what you want and the pitfalls of certain chair designs.

With chairs try the ones you don't like the look of as well, you are trying to identify what makes a chair comfy to sit on for a couple of hours over a long dinner.

Budget going second hand will get you a lot more for your money and you can even consider slightly damaged tops if you are going to use protectors/covers anyway.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I share your pain in finding a suitable table and chairs. I think it took us a year of searching before we found what we liked. I agree with your partner about the need to try it out - what looks good online doesn't mean it'll be good in real life. We tried everywhere including secondhand and ex-catalogue shops, shops that were recommended by friends and family etc. In the end, we bought ours from multi-york (now defunct) and even then that's only because we spotted it as we were about to leave.
  • lena_halo
    lena_halo Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Leekes Thornbury.

We will check them out, thank you :)
  • lena_halo
    Thanks for all of the responses everyone. We will definitely check out a few places like BHF, hadn't thought of that one. Good idea to have a look around the local areas, I'm asking everyone to keep their eyes out for anywhere. Shame my partner is so picky but doesn't even know what kind of table he wants/likes :rofl:

We'll keep searching!!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    lena_halo wrote: »
    Shame my partner is so picky...
    Picky? We had a day out in Yorkshire, from Staffordshire, just so we could look at some chairs at the factory!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    On eBay you can narrow down a search to within a certain radius, or the nearest first. You could find something either second hand or from a local new seller on there.
    If you see something you like you can ask about viewing before you buy.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We got ours from BHF when we moved; solid wood, perfect condition, and only £60 or £80. Their furniture stores often have some nice contemporary sets, too.
  • lena_halo
    @EssexExile omg Poor you!! I can definitely see us travelling hundreds of miles to view items now if he sees this!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure