Insurance bank account

Thomas_Holding
Thomas_Holding Posts: 380 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Does anyone have one of these for travel insurance and have they ever claimed? Any praise or problem would be welcome. Before I switch accounts I want to check that I am doing the right thing.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes. Barclays.

I claimed a couple of years ago for a missed departure due to a car breakdown. I contacted them on my return home. They covered the cost of the fare home and also added accommodation and out of pocket expenses without me asking.

The money was in my account in two days.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We claimed for my husbands illness on a cruise, they were excellent, also had to cancel another holiday the same year when he has to have an operation.
    We are with Nationwide, if you choose them I will PM you my account number and we will get £100 each xx
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My friend banks with NatWest (I think it is called Advantage Gold or something similar): about four years ago serious fog and motorway congestion caused her to miss her flight to Cuba. The insurance paid for a replacement flight (she had to buy it and then they reimbursed her).

And nineteen years ago, a relative (who also banked with NatWest) used his card to pay for the ferry to France. While there he suffered a serious accident, and the insurance paid all manner of expenses, including the air ambulance that transferred him from a little hospital in small-town France to the intensive care unit at a major British teaching hospital.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a camera stolen while in Spain and was covered by the European travel insurance that comes with a Nationwide account. They paid the claim (less excess) and I was reasonably satisfied -- although I would far rather have the camera!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Another vote for Nationwide. Had to cancel USA trip due to family illness - claim met with no hassle. Europe premium is free, US extra £40
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Archergirl
    Ah yes, I forgot about the Worldwide upgrade, we have a Flexplus account and for £13 (I think) a month we get the worldwide cover, breakdown cover (2 cars) which includes European cover, and mobile phone loss and something else I think which I have forgotten
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2018 at 9:08AM
    The Nationwide FlexPlus (which we have) is quoted as a best buy on MSE, and £13 a month is the cheapest packaged bank account around AFAIK.

Another attraction of the FlexPlus - the debit card is transaction fee free (from N'wide fees) for cash at foreign ATMs - but not for goods and services for some odd reason.

Also, as above, you can get a monkey if you switch on the recommendation of another N'wide account holder who benefits likewise.......a nice litte earner. :beer:

To be fair, from anecdotal evidence etc. all the major bank insurance cover policies are good, it's just that some are more expensive than others.
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    I had a camera stolen while in Spain and was covered by the European travel insurance that comes with a Nationwide account. They paid the claim (less excess) and I was reasonably satisfied -- although I would far rather have the camera!

I also have the Flex Plus account and also had a camera stolen when in Spain last year. One thing to note though it the maximum they'll cover for electronics is £300.....I found out the hard way for my £700 Sony A6300 when I returned home. So if op has possessions of more than £300, it may be worth looking into separate gadget insurance. Tbh, I was pleased just to get something back as I wasn't expecting anything having never claimed on insurance before.

I also had to make a claim for a 'no show' flight to Prague earlier this year when I couldn't get to the airport due to bad weather....Nationwide paid out for my new Easyjet flight a few days later.

Really is an excellent b/a and also friendly staff when I've had to contact them so can only but recommend them.
  • Archergirl
    Shapala, A little late now but if you have ' possessions away from home' cover with your home ins you would maybe have been better off claiming on that one xx
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    Archergirl wrote: »
    Shapala, A little late now but if you have ' possessions away from home' cover with your home ins you would maybe have been better off claiming on that one xx

Not to worry - it was an expensive lesson since we were out of pocket for the stolen camera then having to pay for a new camera even after NW paid out the £300. We've (wife and I) learnt from it. Thanks though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure