MSE News: Anger as Toto Energy customers plagued with 'nightmare service'

Scores of customers of Toto Energy have vented their anger over its 'hopeless service' with many reporting serious failings by the small energy supplier...
Read the full story:
'Anger as Toto Energy customers plagued with 'nightmare service''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    I had problems when they first started trading calls unanswered,call backs that never happened or eight hours later,problems not resolved I thought it was early days and tried to revert back to SSE/Ebico who closed new accounts the week before so signed up with British Gas,expensive they may be but the phone is answered and has the feel of professionalism when dealing with them.

With a then prepayment meter and now smart meters showing similar malfunctioning traits service is top priority.The meter replaced and the supply back on!
  • catgirl-69
    catgirl-69 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I had a Toto rep come to my door the last day of May.
    I'm a vulnerable person, and I wasn't quite 'with it' that day, which he knew as we talked about it.
    Anyway, he talked about the rates i would pay in comparison with my last supplier, which seemed good.
    He stated they were a wholesaler, so they could give these great rates. You can tell that I wasn't ion a good mental state, because I believed such a stupid lie!!
    So, I signed up.
    I got the welcome pack in an email later that day, the rates weren't the rates he said, and the amount and date of first Direct debit weren't what he said they'd be. It was 3-4 days before i was 'aware' enough to question it. But I had a rep from MoneyExpert (yes I know they are not the same) that week. He told me that Toto don't do the Warm Home discount! Which of course the Toto rep would have known i would have been eligible for it as he knew I was disabled.

From this I panicked about what I had signed up for. I asked the MoneyExpert rep if I could still switch even though i was still in the process of a switch, he said yes! He told me that the new energy supplier would contact Toto and my previous supplier about the switch. Being still not quite 'with it' and getting worried i signed up to Spark.
    I also contacted Toto, which took me almost an hour to actually get to speak to someone, to cancel my switch. I was within 7 days, so well within the 14 day cooling off period.

So, I contacted Spark on the 15th, and they said the switch had been rejected. Wish I'd been told earlier. I have contacted money expert, and they say they can't help me with contacting the suppliers, I didn't need their help, I wanted to complain about the rep... they seem to be ignoring me now.

Sorry, I was going off topic.

Back to Toto... I cancelled my direct debit before they could take the 1st payment (just in case) which was on the 15th, they didn't have the supply until the 20th.
    After cancelling the DD I was being called up to 20 times a day demanding the missed payment. Then after that it for the first payment AND the next months payment! When I did answer the phone, it was an automated service, telling me to pay and press this number to pay over the phone! Not even a person...what a cheek!! LOL
    I did contact them again, saying I'd rang to cancel, but they said they have no record of it. Then told me the exit fee total. £50...for nothing! I hung up, i was really distressed.

My dad has helped me switch again... all seems to be going well this time around.

Not sure what to do really. Contacting Toto seems impossible. Should I use resolver or just leave it and hope they change their minds about exit fees? Anyone know where I stand on this? I have no proof of anything that happened.
    My mental health hasn't been to good these last few weeks, and I've barely slept since all this happened. I haven't the strength to jump all these hoops on my own.

Thanks for reading my essay! :-D
    Hope I made sense. If this post isn't appropriate for this thread, delete it if you need to. :-(
  • Only just come across these appalling problems with an energy supplier - thankfully, I'm not going through this particular hell. But in the early days of energy deregulation, I was "erroneously transferred" from my existing supplier TWICE - the first you hear about the switch is a 'sorry to hear you're leaving us' letter from the company you signed up with, then Transco refuse to tell you who your new supplier is, and the fun begins! Part of that particular problem was the cold-calling teams. I thought that energy cold-callers had been banned, but they're obviously about. In an insane two-steps-backwards world, thanks for MSE Cheap Energy Club and its company customer ratings to help us. I say join it if you haven't, there's nothing to lose and plenty to gain. And NEVER engage with a cold caller, on the phone, at the door, or wherever else they emerge from. NEVER! Sorry I have no useful practical advice for people unfortunate enough to get involved with these sub-standard companies.
  • rmbastey
    rmbastey Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2018 at 4:22PM
    I switched to TOTO energy on the MSE site and thought I was getting a fixed rate tariff. I then very quickly realised literally less than 10 minutes after clicking to switch that it was a variable rate tariff. I tried to contact TOTO to cancel the switch. I tried calling about 15 times at different times of day on different days......sometimes I was on hold for 45 minutes with no answer. I pressed the number for a call back a couple of times.....never got called back. I emailed them and my emails were ignored and not replied to. I only got through twice and the person basically palmed me off to another department as they didn't want to deal with the issue. TOTO then started taking money out of my bank account through Direct debit. When I contacted my bank, did a direct debit indemnity and got the money refunded.....THEN......TOTO decided to email me with an automated generic email saying....'ooops...something went wrong'.
    Their customer service was literally non existent and I have heard a lot of bad stories about them.
    I then managed to get switched to Tonik Energy who I absolutely cannot fault! they have been amazing in comparison.
    I hope people considering switching to TOTO see this and stay away from them, they caused me nothing but hassle and have zero customer service.
  • Upon a recent viewing of The Wizard of Oz, I strangely found myself siding with the Wicked Witch of the West in wanting to do harm to Toto. Not that I've got anything anything against small dogs - it's more to do with having spent the last 6 months trying to get the credit on my account refunded by the utterly inept energy company of the same name.
    Like many others, I switched to Toto through MSE's energy saving club in September 2017. However, no sooner had I joined than they jacked their prices up by 45% and doubled my direct debit for the winter months.
    As quick as you could say "There's no place like home" I switched my account to another provider and so began my 6 month journey down the Yellow Brick Road to get the credit on my account back.
    After chasing Toto throughout January and February 2018 I was told that the money would be credited to my nominated bank account. I chased again in March and was told it would be in my account in 10-14 working days. In May, having still not received my credit I changed tact and took to Twitter. Again I confirmed my account details, again I was told I would receive the payment in 10-14 working days and again I received nothing. In June I was told that the payment had been made and, because obviously I'm trying to rip them off, I had to send them a copy of my bank statement to prove that I had not received the payment.
    Fast forward to July and still no payment. Now they are asking me to check my partner's account to see if the payment went there. It has taken them more than 7 months to realise this! In all the time this has been going on, despite numerous requests from myself, no-one from Toto has had the decency to call me. Just for comparison BT refunded the credit on my account 4 days after I changed supplier.
    If I had a pair of Ruby Slippers, I'd click my heels together and wish that I had never had to deal with a company that is as cowardly as the Lion, as heartless as the Tin Woodman and as brainless as The Scarecrow. Avoid like a swarm of Winged Monkeys!
    As for the future I'm going to see what the Wizard of Offgem think about how Toto treat their customers.
  • Debjack
    Debjack Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2018 at 7:21PM
    I swapped to Toto last year. I put in exact figures for usage and they said they could get my £130 per month bill down to £100. I swapped and so the mix ups begin. They charged me £100 just for electric and didn’t take over my gas. When they did my monthly bill shot up to £150 per month. When I queried this I was told that I was to pay a higher rate in winter and a lower on in summer and that my six summer payments would be about £50. The summer payments are £115 and it’s only for three months. I’ve been simultaneously conned and duped. I normally would have wiped the floor with them but my Mum died shortly after I joined this untrustworthy crew and it has taken until now for me to get a grip. Please feel free to share...avoid Toto.
  • catgirl-69 wrote: »
    I had a Toto rep come to my door the last day of May.
    I'm a vulnerable person, and I wasn't quite 'with it' that day, which he knew as we talked about it.
    Anyway, he talked about the rates i would pay in comparison with my last supplier, which seemed good.
    He stated they were a wholesaler, so they could give these great rates. You can tell that I wasn't ion a good mental state, because I believed such a stupid lie!!
    So, I signed up.
    I got the welcome pack in an email later that day, the rates weren't the rates he said, and the amount and date of first Direct debit weren't what he said they'd be. It was 3-4 days before i was 'aware' enough to question it. But I had a rep from MoneyExpert (yes I know they are not the same) that week. He told me that Toto don't do the Warm Home discount! Which of course the Toto rep would have known i would have been eligible for it as he knew I was disabled.

From this I panicked about what I had signed up for. I asked the MoneyExpert rep if I could still switch even though i was still in the process of a switch, he said yes! He told me that the new energy supplier would contact Toto and my previous supplier about the switch. Being still not quite 'with it' and getting worried i signed up to Spark.
    I also contacted Toto, which took me almost an hour to actually get to speak to someone, to cancel my switch. I was within 7 days, so well within the 14 day cooling off period.

So, I contacted Spark on the 15th, and they said the switch had been rejected. Wish I'd been told earlier. I have contacted money expert, and they say they can't help me with contacting the suppliers, I didn't need their help, I wanted to complain about the rep... they seem to be ignoring me now.

Sorry, I was going off topic.

Back to Toto... I cancelled my direct debit before they could take the 1st payment (just in case) which was on the 15th, they didn't have the supply until the 20th.
    After cancelling the DD I was being called up to 20 times a day demanding the missed payment. Then after that it for the first payment AND the next months payment! When I did answer the phone, it was an automated service, telling me to pay and press this number to pay over the phone! Not even a person...what a cheek!! LOL
    I did contact them again, saying I'd rang to cancel, but they said they have no record of it. Then told me the exit fee total. £50...for nothing! I hung up, i was really distressed.

My dad has helped me switch again... all seems to be going well this time around.

Not sure what to do really. Contacting Toto seems impossible. Should I use resolver or just leave it and hope they change their minds about exit fees? Anyone know where I stand on this? I have no proof of anything that happened.
    My mental health hasn't been to good these last few weeks, and I've barely slept since all this happened. I haven't the strength to jump all these hoops on my own.

Thanks for reading my essay! :-D
    Hope I made sense. If this post isn't appropriate for this thread, delete it if you need to. :-(

Good to her this issue has been resolved.
    I see you are now complaining about too much contact from Toto :cool:
  • kingell
    kingell Posts: 11 Forumite
    I concur with members over this dreadful company. I used Energy Club and transferred to a different company. Shortly afterwards I found that I owed Toto substantial sums despite having a "Smart" meter.

I agreed to pay by direct debit monthly as I am a pensioner. Payments were taken as agreed and suddenly I found that one payment had been taken which was four times the agreed amount.

My bank, NatWest, were very helpful and consoling and refunded the payment under the Direct Debit agreement. I have advised Toto that I will be cancelling the Direct Debit and arranging a Standing Order over which I will have control.

I have now changed suppliers on four occasions as advised by Energy Club. On each occasion I have found that a large sum was owing. In the case of E-On that was over £400. I've discovered that I have a debit balance of over £170 with my current supplier.

I strongly advise forum members to check statements frequently and question why large debits accrue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure