is fighting a CIFAS risky?

Options
dadsarmy2
dadsarmy2 Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 June 2018 at 7:43PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi

I had a CIFAS put on against me (cat 3 application fraud) by a lender some years ago. I've decided to contest it and submit a formal complaint. Advised I stand a decent chance of success. If I don't contest it (or if they refuse to back down) then it comes off at the end of next year anyway.

Truth is the marker has had very little impact on my life thus far. I don't know why my other lenders, current account bank, etc. have never had a problem with it, even though I have been credit searched numerous times by them, opened new accounts, etc. all while the CIFAS was in place! I still want it gone though for peace of mind, and worry one of them might suddenly make an issue of it. So figure, worth a try.

However could this backfire - is the formal complaint likely to rock the boat, suddenly create an issue out of it and spook all of my lenders/banks - or worst case will the lender who put it on just say 'no' to the formal complaint and I'll be back where I was.

Basically, I don't want to risk making the situation worse by submitting a formal complaint so want to know if that's likely!

Thanks

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dadsarmy2 wrote: »
    Hi

I had a CIFAS put on against me (cat 4 application fraud) by a lender some years ago. I've finally decided to contest it and submit a formal complaint. Advised I stand a decent chance of success.

If I don't contest it (or if they refuse to back down) then it comes off at the end of next year anyway.

Truth is the marker has had very little impact on my life thus far. I don't know why my other lenders, current account bank, etc. have never had a problem with it, even though I have been credit searched numerous times by them, opened new accounts, etc. all while the CIFAS was in place! I still want it gone though for peace of mind, and worry one of them might suddenly make an issue of it. So figure, worth a try.

However could this backfire - is the formal complaint likely to rock the boat, suddenly create an issue out of it and spook all of my lenders/banks - or worst case will the lender who put it on just say 'no' to the formal complaint and I'll be back where I was.

Basically, I don't want to risk making the situation worse by submitting a formal complaint so want to know if that's likely!

Thanks

Not sure anyone on here can say if its likely to be overturned.
    What was the reason for the marker in the first place ?
  • dadsarmy2
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Not sure anyone on here can say if its likely to be overturned.
    What was the reason for the marker in the first place ?

Hi - thanks, that wasn't really my question alas....I'm not asking whether it will/won't be overturned...FYI I think there's a good chance it will but not 100%.

My question is rather: could submitting the formal complaint cause waves, affecting my other existing credit and accounts, plus upset the still existing loan with the lender who put the CIFAS on me? Or is the worst case that they will just say "no sorry, we're not removing it" and no harm done (other than the CIFAS is still on there!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The appeal won't impact any existing accounts
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dadsarmy2 wrote: »
    Hi - thanks, that wasn't really my question alas....I'm not asking whether it will/won't be overturned...FYI I think there's a good chance it will but not 100%.

My question is rather: could submitting the formal complaint cause waves, affecting my other existing credit and accounts, plus upset the still existing loan with the lender who put the CIFAS on me? Or is the worst case that they will just say "no sorry, we're not removing it" and no harm done (other than the CIFAS is still on there!)

Yes not sure what I was doing with my reply, my bad OP.
  • dadsarmy2
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Yes not sure what I was doing with my reply, my bad OP.

No worries
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Without knowing how the CIFAS marker came to be there in the first place nobody can really judge what is likely to happen if you stir things up.
    Having said that, I do wonder why you waited 5 years to want to do anything about it. If it was undeserved why did you not say or do anything at the time.
    Additionally, as you say that the existence of this marker has caused you no problems for the last 5 years and it will disappear in 1 year, why do you want to try to do something about it now?
    If you did actually make a fraudulent application or did lie about something in your application, then it may not be in your best interests to stir things up now. Above all, don't even think about lieing or twisting the truth if you do attempt to appeal it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure