ASDA charged my card twice and very poor service

Hi there
I ordered some grovery items via online shopping at ASDA website and it was for the very first time I have used ASDA.
My order was supposed to have delivered between 8.30-9.30pm and around 10.15 I called them to find out what happened to the order, and was told they need to cancel it because the van broke down. Having waited for two hours no one informed of this until I called and I was not happy.
I asked them to cancel the order and refund me the money.
Then 10 minutes later the order arrived, and I told the two peopled who delivered the goods to let the customer services know that they delivered because I asked them to cancel the order so they may have cancelled it.
This morning I checked the card statement online, and saw that ASDA had debited my account on 12th in the morning for the order placed on Friday, and at 10.48pm another debit shows. I think either there is a fault at the system whereby an order is cancelled it goes into a new order hence another debit or the person put through refund did not do it properly.
I could not get any help through Customer Services as the woman had no clue whatsoever about the debits and credits and refunds. Kept telling me the order was cancelled and I have book another date.
I was looking into some complaints and found out there are hundreds of people complaining.

Does anyone think that they do this deliberately so they keep taking money twice?
Just because card data is saved on their systems does not give them right to use the money as they did not call me or get my authorisation.

Please let me know if any one has had this experience with ASDA or any other retailer.
:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Fleur52 wrote: »

Does anyone think that they do this deliberately so they keep taking money twice?

No. I'd be astonished if anyone thinks that.
  • You're very unlucky to have this happen on your first ever delivery from them. I've been using Asda as well as a few other grocery delivery services every week for probably 12 years now, and have never had a single problem.
  • Fleur52
    Fleur52 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I have no experience of shopping at ASDA and it was the very first time, and I must say it was a really bad experience.
    I have used TESCO and Sainsbury's and had no problems.
    Just that customer services not able to help was disappointing as I was expecting a better standard of service from them.
    I sent an email with a complaint and see if they really help customers. I have seen lots of reviews on their customer website where people have left messages complaining about the poor service they received.
    Surely a big company such as ASDA need to make sure when refunding customer they need to take care.
  • Fleur52
    Yes I know you may have been lucky.

I have used Tesco and Sainsburys and had no problems.

When processing refunds they need to take care as part of their job. Unless there is a fault in their computer systems where credits appear as debits.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2018 at 4:26PM
    Are both amounts the same ? Asda used to put a hold on the order amount and then take the actual delivery amount, the earlier amount dropping off after a few days. Have the amounts cleared yet or are they still pending ?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Are both amounts the same ? Asda used to put a hold on the order amount and then take the actual delivery amount, the earlier amount dropping off after a few days. Have the amounts have cleared yet or are they still pending ?

^^ This.

If this only happened yesterday, the hold will still be showing.

Tesco and Sainsbury's do the same thing.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    molerat wrote: »
    Have the amounts have cleared yet or are they still pending ?

There is possibility a refund might be pending as well (which will not show as pending).

Possible scenario: your card got charged in the morning, then you phone up, cancel and your card gets refunded. Later they realise the goods have been delivered and charge your card again.

Presuming that happened yesterday or today, it is too early to know what got actually charged.
  • Fleur52
    Hi everyone

Thank you all for your comments.

I sent an email copied to CEO and Customer Service complaints department this morning, and I think some one has acted quickly and deleted both charges which are the same amounts. They also charged 1p on the same day I placed the order, which I think is used to see if the card is active - perhaps I do not the reason behind this but they have taken 1p.

So I think my email making the complaint may have worked. I also called the credit card company and explained that they have charged me twice, one of which I have not authorised. Anyway, I will check the card details again tomorrow.

the 1p showing as Pending. Will let you know tomorrow if the debit has returned.
    I ordered the goods on the 9th March, so the first debit was ok along with 1p debit (pending).

I was asking them about the second debit taken out last night after 10.30pm. Hopefully all will be sorted in the end.
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fleur52 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Thank you all for your comments.

I sent an email copied to CEO and Customer Service complaints department this morning, and I think some one has acted quickly and deleted both charges which are the same amounts. They also charged 1p on the same day I placed the order, which I think is used to see if the card is active - perhaps I do not the reason behind this but they have taken 1p.

So I think my email making the complaint may have worked. I also called the credit card company and explained that they have charged me twice, one of which I have not authorised. Anyway, I will check the card details again tomorrow.

the 1p showing as Pending. Will let you know tomorrow if the debit has returned.
    I ordered the goods on the 9th March, so the first debit was ok along with 1p debit (pending).

I was asking them about the second debit taken out last night after 10.30pm. Hopefully all will be sorted in the end.
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

A little patience would have had the same outcome.
  • Fleur52
    Sorry Borris
    When I see someone has taken money out without authorisation I needed to act quickly.

I don't let anyone take my hard earned money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure