Water Bills questions and comment

Comments

• Thanks for your response Cardew.
    There is no question of arbitrary 'resonable', Councils charging for water are reselling the services according to Ofwat and are permitted less than 1% commission under Water Orders. Thames are paying up to 20% and Northumbria around 10%, United Utilities are also culpable. This was the subject of Jones v. Southwark and changes are afoot.
    The other side of the coin is the factors provided by water companies to be applied to Rateable Value under the earlier Water Industry Act. This is how the companies can offer savings by going metered, they are fully aware that those factors overcharge but do not encourage Councils to advise customers of this. This applies substantially to customers in smaller social housing.
    Furthermore, the companies should not be permitted to redistribute charges when this is regularised, since larger housing units probably benefit by remaining on RV basis. Single occupants are clearly subsidising larger families.
    Ofwat think this is ok and CCWater and Watrs are not willing to challenge the water companies.
    As to refunds or redress, good luck with that, I have been pursueing this for nearly two years and Kim Jones fought for 13 years.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    since larger housing units probably benefit by remaining on RV basis. Single occupants are clearly subsidising larger families.

The original Water Privatisation Act gave water companies the power to compulsorily fit meters on change of occupant; this includes tenants. It was the clear intention of the Act that all properties(where feasible) would have a meter.

Thus if the companies had enforced that provision only occupants who had lived in the property from before 01 April 1990 would still be paying RV based charges. Some companies enforced that provision, most didn't!

The problem is that there is no financial incentive for companies to fit meters. They are allowed by Ofwat to raise £xxx million in revenue and make £yy million in profit- provided they meet certain targets. Any loss or gain in revenue from compulsorily fitting meters can be catered for by adjusting other charges to reach the authorised revenue, and hence profit.

The companies really are in a win/win position which is reflected in their share price.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    It is not an easy job to remove a water meter and insert a pipe to replace meter.
    Its not something i did tho so basically will still have to pay?
  • Hi, I live alone in a two bed flat and the water company took three months to send me my first water bill (I notified them as soon as I moved in). Because they split the water bill over 12 months, they've squeezed 12 months of payments into 9 months meaning I'm paying a whopping £45pm. I'm only there a couple of nights a week. And, in contrast my boyfriend, in a 2 bed house with 2 kids, pays about £150 a year. I'm not allowed to get a water meter as the landlord won't allow it - is there any such thing as a single person discount?
  • Cardew
    If it is your account, and your tenancy is 6 months or more, you can have a meter fitted.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/water/water-supply/paying-your-water-bill/changing-to-a-water-meter/
    If you are a tenant
    If you're a tenant, you can still ask for a meter.
    If you have a fixed-term tenancy agreement of less than six months, you must ask the landlord’s permission. If your fixed-term tenancy agreement is longer than six months, you don't need your landlord's permission to have a meter but your tenancy agreement may require you to ask their permission for alterations to the property.
    You may need advice if your landlord doesn't agree to you having a meter, as any disagreements could cause problems when renewing the tenancy.
  • Thanks for sitting on your laurels Margeret ! Do you realise your bill for a larger property is subsidised by excessive charges under RV to smaller housing units ? My RV bill was £11 per week, now metered and it's only "£2. Small units - especially Council - get a meter !!
    Southend Water Action Group.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 5:02PM
    I have a tiny and very basic 300 year old cottage with a shared septic tank - so no sewage charge. My water bill for this coming year is £113. I use minimal water - no bath, washing machine, dish washer or hosepipe. Laundry is done at the launderette. Plus I'm very careful with water as I am on E7 so I don't brew up during the day etc. I wondered whether I might be better off with a meter so I did the calculation on the Consumer Council for Water website which said my water bill would be go down to around £70 including the standing charge. But the water company (United Utilities) calculation says it would go up to £216! The actual standing charge is actually £20 more than the Consumer Council calculation but there is still a huge difference between the two figures. How can that be? :wall:
  • Cardew
    pineapple wrote: »
    I own a tiny period cottage with a shared septic tank - so no sewage charge. My water bill for this coming year is £113. I use minimal water - no bath, washing machine, dish washer or hosepipe. Laundry is done at the launderette. Plus I'm very careful with water as I am on E7 so don't brew up during the day etc. I wondered whether I might be better off with a meter so I did the calculation on the Consumer Council for Water website which said my water bill would be go down to around £70 including the standing charge. But the water company (United Utilities) calculation says it would go up to £216! How can there be such a huge discrepancy? :wall:

Stick with your £113 bill.

Water charges for UU are here: https://www.unitedutilities.com/services/your-bill/our-charges-20172018/

The average consumption for a single occupant is around 55 cubic metres a year.
  • Had an email from severn trent this morning saying that my bill was available online, I could not make the numbers add up, whichever way I divided the annual total by the monthly DD it was wrong...
    So I phoned them and was told that they take payment for the full twelve month period over EIGHT payments, after thinking for a bit I then contacted them again on their online chat and said that I thought this was a sharp practice and grossly unfair, they instantly changed my payments to 12 from 8 and cut my monthly DD from £52 to £34, no arguments.
    I know it is no cheaper in the long run, but the money is better in my pocket than theirs.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cardew wrote: »
    Stick with your £113 bill.

Water charges for UU are here: https://www.unitedutilities.com/services/your-bill/our-charges-20172018/

The average consumption for a single occupant is around 55 cubic metres a year.
    Thanks Cardew, I know £113 is not a lot and I don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire but I was just staggered by the difference in the two figures. I'm off to do some calculations ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback