NST March: Marching to a different beat

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can I join in even if I'm debt free? :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Of course you can, slowlyfading. We all have different reasons for being a turtle.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2018 at 2:43PM
    Oh, can't wait for Wednesday. Hopefully having shuffled around money will help this month as the CC is now paid off and by Wednesday we should have 1000 put aside for emergencies, holidays, upcoming kids party bookings etc etc plus we got the money (birthday money) to pay for the hire car in April (flights paid already) when we visit my parents. Still have the family debt left (1400) but it's at 0% and the other changes should prevent further borrowing at least and still enable us to pay that off steadily. First time in ages I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far we've been robbing Peter to pay Paul because we didn't have the emergency fund. But now it seems to work better, although we paid the debt off slower and saved,it stops us from borrowing. We used to pay the card off only to pay for sth on it again. Seemed a pointless circle and demoralising. Hopefully broken now.

Still working on the final budgets, meal plans etc.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    That is so good to read thrifty. Well done to you and Mr Thrifty.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • thriftylass
    Thanks apple muncher, still working on Mr Thrifty. He started borrowing money again after Christmas and I gave in the last two months (always get it back) but that will stop now. Wish me luck. He doesn't know how much we have saved now, he only knows there is money to cover x, y, and z but not a penny more.
  • I would like to be counted in, I'll be the mascot sort of marching at the back of the cavalry! I read everyday but didn't post a lot as felt unwell most of the month -psoriatic arthritis especially in my shoulders. Mothernerd you are my inspiration for all that you get done! Really admire your can do attitude and am aiming to struggle through to have your mindset.
    Will work out February Forest Adventure totals and will post new budgets before the first

How do I put running totals in the box at the bottom the post please?

Hugs, congratulations, birthday wishes and just well done everyone xx
    NSD 1/3,
    My mantra is After I ....I will. eg After I make my morning coffee, I will take my medication. Eventually this will become a habit,
  • thriftylass
    Dottydaisy wrote: »

How do I put running totals in the box at the bottom the post please?

You can go to User CP (below the Etiquette button in the top green line), and then edit signature.

Hope that helps
  • Greetings all. Laptop died end of January & February seems to have passed me by! I'm in again for March please.
    Feb was a little up and down for me. MIL has been diagnosed with cancer, so that left us reeling a little. At the moment we are awaiting test results to see what is the best course of treatment and action to take.
    On the upside, although I was naughty and dug into Mums re-payment fund, we have a new member of the family.
    Meet Donna :D
    zQ6jpPUl.jpg

Money kind of ran away with me in Feb, what with the laptop needing a new HD, and the new addition. Need to get back on track.
    Back in September MIL kindly loaned us a large sum of money to help towards the house deposit, BF was due to start making repayments this month. In light of recent events, she decided she won't really need it back, so has told BF not to re-pay her.
    I have broached the subject of him paying me back the £1000 I loaned him instead. So hopefully I can add that to Mums fund.

So...onwards into March...

The non-negotiables:
    • · For the striders: [STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts Budgets set. I need to pay for a music exam this month, or Ill have to wait until the next quarter. £95 :eek:
    • · Be generous – there are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. As usual, my charity of choice is the local C&D home.
    • · Note down every single spend in a notebook and analyse where the pennies go Spreadsheet is prepped
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Always do :D
    • · [FONT=&quot]Pay towards your debt first! Five fridays this month means I have a whole paycheck spare, and plan to put it all towards Mums Fund.
      [/FONT]
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Are you working late and therefore unlikely to feel like cooking when you get home? Make sure you have a portion or two of homemade ready meals in the freezer. We mealplan each week. Wed is slowcooker day as I go boxing (beef roast tomorrow :p) Mum is down for a visit next week and there maybe a short notice trip to Bristol Zoo as MIL wants to go, and we want to make the trip before she starts treatment and feels too ill to go.
    • · Check in every day. I shall try!!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Of course you can, slowlyfading. We all have different reasons for being a turtle.
    Great! Looking forward to getting stuck in :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • I know this isn't exactly how it's supposed to work, but in thinking about frogs and elephants for the month, I find myself tackling them before the first of March! At least they're getting done I suppose :D

I have decided that in the spirit of the thread, I will try and organise my budgets and expenses until the end of the month. I get paid about 75% of the way through the month, which drives me round the twist, but DH is paid on the last working day. I usually base everything on my paydays because I organise our financial lives. We'll be going down to one salary (his) for a few years as of this summer, so it'd do me good to start getting into that rhythm now, but for me personally it means this will be a 6 week month (ouch!) whilst I start doing this. Then for the rest of my paydays I'm going to ignore the money sitting in my account until the end of the month like everyone else.

Go hard or go home :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport