Leaving site on Lunch breaks

Options

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This why my work has several first aiders. Covers for annual leave, days off, being away for meetings etc.

The £50 payment is yearly. I have been approached several times if I would like to train to be a first aider. I have declined as it's not enough and got a fear of blood

I think turning this down is a mistake.

At some point in your life you may find yourself in a situation where having first aid skills could save someone you care about life.

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you £50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »

At some point in your life you may find yourself in a situation where having first aid skills could save someone you care about life.

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you £50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.[/Q

Scarletmarble has a fear of blood. This would make them a poor first aider.

The role is not for everyone and the wrong person could be more of a hindrance.

Sometimes knowing your limits and stepping aside is the responsible thing to do.

Put your hands up.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 9:57AM
    Options
    My old company sent me away for a weeks course with the St Johns ambulance. I was paid about £25 a month. However we were not allowed to leave site anyway in case of a emergency on the plant. This is a pretty standard rule but it had nothing to do with First Aid cover.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »

If that did happen you would have to live with the fact that because they would only pay you £50 a year you decided not to learn these life saving skills.

He is already one!
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    He is already one!

The OP is indeed but the person JReacher1 was responding to is not and said they have a fear of blood.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    The OP is indeed but the person JReacher1 was responding to is not and said they have a fear of blood.

I stand corrected.

That said it depends on the course if you are missing out on anything. I suspect if they are paying so little then they are office work based types. You could probably learn as much watching a YouTube video.........hence the crappy amount offered.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well that's a shame.

I expect there will be lots of innocents taken advantage by unscrupulous bosses thanks to some inadequates carrying grudges from ages ago.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 February 2018 at 12:04PM
    Options
    Detroit wrote: »

Scarletmarble has a fear of blood. This would make them a poor first aider.

The role is not for everyone and the wrong person could be more of a hindrance.

Sometimes knowing your limits and stepping aside is the responsible thing to do.

Personally I think any knowledge is valuable and if offered the chance to be given first aid training I would take it. Many first aid scenarios do not involve blood e.g. heart attack, choking etc and learning the exact steps to follow in these instances can save lives.
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    firm's responsibility to ensure enough staff on site, with first aid training, to cover breaks, holidays etc.

maybe some exclusions, for special jobs / locations.. ?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • fraserbooks
    Options
    I used to be a registered nurse in a nursing home and I had to be present my whole shift unless there was someone else to hold the drug keys. There must be a lot of similar jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure