PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I am quietly excited as I got offered lots of Nespresso compatible capsules to review for my machine. I ordered several types, as normally just one box of anything is sent to review. However, sometimes they slip up, and send a multipack. If they do, I will have 100 capsules, so providing the coffee is decent, I won't have to buy capsules for a while.

I can only buy decaff 48 or 60 capsules at a time, depending on which brand I buy (CRU Kafe or Aldi) so there's usually a stock in of those.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

I've never had/seen any capsules/machine etc.

I use simple instant coffee granules, 200g, £1.39-£1.49/jar, one jar lasts 15 days, so it's 10p/day :)

I drink it black, without sugar, as I learnt over the years that, firstly, you can never have milk, milk in, milk that's not gone off, so it's easier to drink it black - and, secondly, having sugar in it's just a pain in the butt as you don't "see/enjoy" the calories in it but they're in there. It's also reduced other people's ability to serve with with super-cr4p coffees over the years as they use different milk, or different quantities of it and different sugar to me.

So I keep it simple.
  • I have stopped going to my nearest place for a roast dinner. They now only do a carvery and due to some greedy (male) pensioners, buying a child meal and piling their plates high, they only sell a child meal to an actual child. I eat less than a 9 year old boy and am not going to pay the full adult price for a small meal

outside jobs are finished, washing put away, fresh coffee drunk, eaten handful of nuts and small cold toast with jam, so now I am ready to get changed into something posher and am off to explore two attractive areas, potentials for new home. One has 2000 residents and only 2 potential homes for sale, one 3000 residents and 3 potential homes for sale. Potential as in my price range, however I discarded all of them, too much updating, too many repairs, too big, listed grades, no parking. I do however need to explore the actual areas better, however I am still being drawn back to my original area, 1.5 miles from here, much better value. I need patience, I see that 8 houses sold in this area last year and 4 the year before, so they do come up for sale. The more I look, the more I appreciate the local area rather than the land of twee expensiveness

I won`t need lunch out so will have a meal when I get back
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    I love Aldi's Specially Selected Chips, the chunky ones, strong candidates for best shop-bought chips ever.
    When I was a kid, over fifty years ago, I can remember seeing my friend's Dad sat on the step of his fish and chip shop, enjoying the morning sun and peeling spuds by hand into enamel pails, remarkably fast, though. Perhaps the machine was broken, or maybe they didn't have one.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    kittie wrote: »
    I have stopped going to my nearest place for a roast dinner. They now only do a carvery and due to some greedy (male) pensioners, buying a child meal and piling their plates high, they only sell a child meal to an actual child. I eat less than a 9 year old boy and am not going to pay the full adult price for a small meal
    I totally see where you're coming from on that one.

What I tend to do is opt for the "meat free/just a plate" option. I'll typically eat at a carvery costing £8-9 and many offer a "just a plate, no meat" choice at £1-2 less. Sometimes you do have to ask, but if you ask they will usually do it, it's just not written on the menu.

I figure that they put the (usually fatty) meat on the plate and it's buried by the food I pile on anyway .... so I'd usually be stuffed before I got that far down the plate, so I won't miss it if I simply go without the meat and save that £2 :)
  • PasturesNew
    I love Aldi's Specially Selected Chips, the chunky ones, strong candidates for best shop-bought chips ever.
    When I was a kid, over fifty years ago, I can remember seeing my friend's Dad sat on the step of his fish and chip shop, enjoying the morning sun and peeling spuds by hand into enamel pails, remarkably fast, though. Perhaps the machine was broken, or maybe they didn't have one.

That's a lovely memory!

I was in Aldi the other day and looked at their chips, but I like the Lidl ones so held off from buying Aldi ones on the basis of "why try a new one when you're happy with the old" ... but then I got to Lidl and they didn't have my regular chips in there at all (and still no hash browns) - and the chips they did have in Lidl were much pricier per Kg than the ones I usually buy in there. So I returned home chipless and wishing I'd bought the Aldi ones.

I buy purely on type/price... I want the chunkiest chips at the lowest £/Kg, preferably in a 1Kg bag as my freezer's small. I rarely look at names/types, just "are they chunky/steak cut" and "what's the £/Kg".
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    I've never had/seen any capsules/machine etc.

I use simple instant coffee granules, 200g, £1.39-£1.49/jar, one jar lasts 15 days, so it's 10p/day :)

I drink it black, without sugar, as I learnt over the years that, firstly, you can never have milk, milk in, milk that's not gone off, so it's easier to drink it black - and, secondly, having sugar in it's just a pain in the butt as you don't "see/enjoy" the calories in it but they're in there. It's also reduced other people's ability to serve with with super-cr4p coffees over the years as they use different milk, or different quantities of it and different sugar to me.

So I keep it simple.

I have instant in for those that want it, and many do. I know what you mean about black, but I need sugar/sweetener in mine, can't do without it. I usually ask for tea when out and about as a bad cup of tea is more drinkable for me than a bad cup of coffee,

I would never have bought a capsule machine, but I got offered one free to review. It was barely used for the first year or so, but since Aldi have been doing their capsules, it's been in regular use. I also have a cafetiere for ground coffee.

Tea is always Yorkshire Gold for standard and Aldi decaff tea, which is better than Yorkshire Tea decaff, I have fruit and herb teas too, plus chai, and there's usually hot chocolate. I like to offer guests a choice. :o
  • PasturesNew
    I like to offer guests a choice.

Nobody comes here. There are no home comforts and I don't know anybody as such ... so, no guests. Just me. :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon,
    Back from being relieved of some of my blood and having my arm strangled:rotfl::rotfl:
    On the way back from the Drs I remembered I had some sausage stuffing balls in the freezer LO from Christmas so I'll be having these instead of bangers in my giant YP later.:D
    As I wasn't out as long as I thought I'd be, I think I'll make spicy veg scramble for lunch and have that with the LO garlic bread :).
    I love "proper" coffee but never really fancied one of the pod machines, though my sister got my nephew one for his Christmas and he loves it. Thankfully decent decaff filter coffee is fairly easy to get unlike instant and I have a wee one mug caffietere which is ideal. While there are lots of decaff instants I'm afraid only the Kenco one does it for me, some of the rest are just plain nasty IMHO. I drink mainly tea these days which although it has some caffiene in it, it doesn't seem to upset me as much. I need a spot of milk in both tea or coffee, though can drink it black but please don't put sugar or sweetner anywhere near my cuppa:cool::)
  • PasturesNew
    I ended up having the two hot sausage rolls for lunch.

Sausage rolls are just mini pies really aren't they :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback