Amazon Global Store?

Hi guys,

I hope this is a suitable place to post this.

I'm in that position where I've found the ideal present for someone who is very difficult to buy for only to find that it's impossible to get in the UK.

I can get it on Amazon as part of their global store, sold by them. I just wondered if there was anything I should be aware of or any other costs that might occur, they make it sound like the total I agree to pay is the maximum I will have to but I'm already going to be paying way over the odds for the thing and don't want additional unexpected costs.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Probably not, in view of this:

"All import customs duties and taxes included at the time of purchase
    When you buy products from overseas, you are responsible for paying import taxes and duties when they arrive in the UK. Amazon Global Store simplifies this process, by estimating the amount that will be due (the “Import Fees Deposit”) and adding it to the amount you pay. You authorise Amazon US’s international carriers to pay this amount to the UK authorities on your behalf.

If Amazon’s estimate for the Import Fees Deposit is greater than what is needed, you will be automatically refunded the difference to your original payment method. You will never be asked to pay more than the estimated amount."

Were it not for that, I'd suggest great care buying items costing more than a few pounds outside the EU. Import duties and VAT, plus the charges that go with them, can add a fair bit to the cost.
  • BB34
    BB34 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've only done this recently for the first time, and the amount Amazon showed as the total on checkout was the amount I paid, no extra charges. Hth?
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to both of you, appears like a fairly safe option then.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Import duties and VAT, plus the charges that go with them, can add a fair bit to the cost.

Yeah, the item is probably only really worth about £25 ( they are selling it for £35) though and the total I'm going to be paying Amazon is just over £50 so I'm hoping that's the lot. Don't want any nasty surprises and it does make me a bit nervous.
  • gll5dm
    gll5dm Posts: 112 Forumite
    Can confirm the price you see is the price you pay, and you may even end up being refunded a few pounds due to Amazon overestimating the import fees. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure