Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Increase contributions to NEST or NI?

Hello!

So I'm quite new to all this pension stuff. I've tried to look through other threads on here but it just confuses me!

Firstly, I've recently been enrolled into NEST. My employer pays 5% and I'm paying like 1% or something? I'm really not sure. My question is, should I increase my contributions? I'm 29 so I know I'm pretty late in starting a pension fund and I believe the recommendation is to increase it but I don't know how much.

I'm also concerned about my NI contributions as I worked part time for so long that I probably don't have enough saved up to get a proper state pension. I did look into getting a statement from HMRC to try and make up some payments but found the process really quite difficult and they ended up being unable to find me or give me a statement based on the information I provided - what a waste of time that was!!

Any advice??

Comments

• neilvw
    neilvw Posts: 462 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2016 at 2:32PM
    If you can afford it then definitely increase your contributions. The current minimum of one percent is derisory and designed to avoid opt-outs. Contributions will increase gradually and the hope is that employees will stay in through inertia (the "boiling a frog" analogy).

The statutory minimum will be 8% on a band of earnings by April 2019, of which the employer must pay at least 3%.

On State Pension statements, have you tried the newish website? I found it quite straightforward using the Post Office verification method.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension

Or download a BR19 form:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-state-pension-statement

As you've had problems before perhaps you should ring the Government's Future Pension Centre which is open Mon-Fri, 8-6: 0345 3000 168.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure