Anyone help with Thermal Imaging Camera?

Hi everyone,

I went to a local jumble sale last week. I saw this device that allowed you to plug into your smartphone. I thought it was one of these fake thermal effects and kids would love it. I got it for £40....However after a bit of research, it's turned out to be a Flir One (Generation 2) Thermal Camera! that DIYers can use to locate heat loss issues around the house :)

My own property is very cold and from what I gather, this should be perfect.

I've tried to use the Flir One app on my android phone. It shows different colours. The only issue is that I don't understand how to read the information it gives. For example it's showing areas of purple, which I presume are cold and white areas which are hot.

But how do I know if something needs fixing or if it's normal?

Would it be worth it if I uploaded some YouTube videos of the property and let you guys decide?

Thanks!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I assume you have downloaded the user manual ? https://www.flir.co.uk/support/products/flir-one-gen-2/#Resources
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends on where you are standing, seeing cold spots inside would mean you have air gaps or no insulation....seeing hot spots when in the loft would mean you need more insulation.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess if you go outside and see hotter areas you can see where hear is escaping (assuming the heating has been on a while inside)
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    If by any chance the manual doesn't explain the colours, you could point it something that was hot, like a just-boiled kettle and something cold like an ice cube.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • AndyPK
    or a radiator. tosee the hot rad and then different heat levels/colours the further away you are
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    AndyPK wrote: »
    or a radiator. tosee the hot rad and then different heat levels/colours the further away you are

Err no. A thermal imaging camera shows the same colours, no matter the distance. That's because they actually measure the surface temperature and display that as different colours depending on the temperature at that point.
  • AndyPK
    The walls next to the rad will be a different colour to the rad I meant
  • foxy-stoat
    Post up photos - I have the Flir One and was geeking the other night after I switched the heating on....saw all the pipes under the floors get hot and how the radiators heat up - pretty cool....or hot.
  • foxy-stoat
    rad%201_zpscqphgmym.jpgrad%202_zpsaufiworf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business