IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

URGENT: County Court Claim

Comments

• GolfR12
    GolfR12 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks Quentin.

Got a couple of hours before I need to submit, so will wait to see if I can get any assistance on points 7 and 8. If not, I will remove this points and submit the defence :)

Thank you so much to everyone for your help so far. I wouldn!!!8217;t have been able to get this far without your help.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    3. The Particulars of Claim fail to refer to the material terms of any contract and neither comply with the CPR 16 in respect of statements of case, nor the relevant practice direction in respect of claims formed by contract or conduct. The Defendant further notes the Claimant's failure to engage in pre-action correspondence in accordance with the pre-action protocol and with the express aim of avoiding contested litigation.

With respect to my scenario, all correspondence was returned to sender as gone away as I moved out of my family home for a period of time due to personal reasons. Shall I simply remove this sentence?
    I would change the end of it to:
    Despite the fact that the Defendant was not living at the address during the material time - due to personal reasons, which the Defendant later learnt that the Claimant knew, due to all their letters being returned marked 'gone away' - the Claimant made no attempt to trace the Defendant and issued the claim to the address where they knew the Defendant had not been residing.
    Is this right, they sent it to an address where letters had been bounced from?

Background

4. It is admitted that at all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper of vehicle registration mark xxxxxx which is the subject of these proceedings. The vehicle was insured with xxxxx Insurance with two named drivers permitted to use it. Furthermore, several drivers had access to this vehicle via their own Comprehensive insurance policies which allowed them to drive other vehicles with the consent of the registered keeper.

I have added this bit in, is this ok?
    Yes, that's fine if there were 2 possible drivers.

Authority to Park and Primacy of Contract

7. It is denied that the Defendant or lawful users of his vehicle were in breach of any parking conditions or were not permitted to park in circumstances where an express permission to park had been granted to the Defendant permitting the above mentioned vehicle to be parked by the current occupier and leaseholder of [address], whose tenancy agreement permits the parking of vehicle(s) on land. The Defendant avers that there was an absolute entitlement for visitors to park deriving from the terms of the lease, which cannot be fettered by any alleged parking terms and puts the Claimant to strict proof otherwise. [STRIKE]The lease terms provide the right to park a vehicle in the relevant allocated bay, without limitation as to type of vehicle, ownership of vehicle, the user of the vehicle or the requirement to display a parking permit. A copy of the lease will be provided to the Court, together with witness evidence that prior permission to park had been given.[/STRIKE]

8. The Defendant avers that the operator signs cannot (i) override the existing rights enjoyed by residents and their visitors and (ii) that parking easements cannot retrospectively and unilaterally be restricted where provided for within the lease. The Defendant will rely upon the judgments on appeal of HHJ Harris QC in Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd (2016) and of Sir Christopher Slade in K-Sultana Saeed v Plustrade Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 2011. The Court will be referred to further similar fact cases in the event that this matter proceeds to trial.

8.1. Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987, for such a variation to have been agreed by the residents, it is the Defendant's understanding that 75% of the parties must have consented and not more than 10% must not have objected to any proposed material change (which this nuisance most certainly is). This is the Claimant's case to prove on the balance of probabilities and they have failed.

8.2. Notwithstanding the above, it is a relevant fact that this is a secure car park and the only way to get into the car park is by having a key fob or a resident to let a driver in. That deliberate action by residents or by use of a key fob, authorises every visitor at this location and there can be no question of the driver being considered 'unauthorised'.

I am unsure of how to amend or if I should include this part at all as I do not know who the resident being visited by the driver of the vehicle was, I am unsure whether they still reside their and do not have access to any lease/tenancy agreements. I am struggling with this part the most. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Just put the Claimant to strict proof that the lease agreements of residents were formally varied, after a 75% consensus in agreement.

As for these points, some suggested amendments, if this makes sense for your case?
    11. The defendant avers that the driver must have been completely unaware that the site was being enforced by any restrictive terms, because drivers of this vehicle are law abiding and circumspect, and would not have ignored prominent terms nor accepted any sign dressing up an 'offer' to park for £100 when the car could have been parked nearby for £1 or so in a pay & display car park. The residents and visitors at residential locations like this, have a legitimate expectation of a right of way and unfettered right to use the demised parking bays for visitors, with no charge.

12. Since there has been no variation of the residents' agreements (the Claimant is put to strict proof) a Managing Agent cannot impose this charging regime via an onerous back door method of 'signs and permits' with charges imposed on visitors and residents, where parking was previously free.

Maybe like the above?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • GolfR12
    Thank you so much Coupon Mad.

I have submitted the defence so let!!!8217;s hope for the best :)

Just to confirm, as I have emailed the defence across, there are no further actions for me take on the MCOL website? I have gone through the newbies thread but just wanted to be sure.

Many thanks everyone
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, you do nothign more there. You now wait your DQ - assuming Gladstones you WILL get teh usual "heard on papers" rubbish.
  • GolfR12
    Hi guys. Quick update.

I sent off my defence for all 5 claims before the 5pm deadline. I included all claim numbers on the defence letter as well as the email subject. I received an acknowledgment letter for 4 out of the 5 claims. I therefore emailed the mailbox requesting an acknowledgment for the final claim; however, seemed to receive either an automated response or a response without any thought behind it advising that a judgement had been served for the claim. The claim I didn!!!8217;t receive an acknowledgment for was coincidentally one of the claims which had a deadline of 16th April which is the day I submitted the defence. I then received the letter of judgement for that claim.

I contacted the Helpdesk the following day and made them aware of this, the agent acknowledged that my defence was received on time; however, advised me to forward on my original email FAO a manager so they can look into this. I have not heard anything since so I will call them tomorrow to chase this up. They have clearly screwed up.

I!!!8217;ve also received a letter from Gladstone!!!8217;s dated 18th April which includes their questionnaire. They have as stated requested for the case to be dealt with on paper. The letter also states their client has chosen not mediate; however, the client would be happy to listen to any genuine payment proposals

I have not received a questionnaire as of yet, so do I need to do anything at this stage?

Many thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You should get 4 DQs from the court, and could ask the Helpdesk when you next follow up the issue about claim #5. The court need to rescind the judgment, they were wrong.

If it goes too long with no DQ, download the form from the court webpages 'form finder'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • GolfR12
    So I spoke to the Helpdesk a few days ago, they have advised that it has been passed on to a Judge to decide whether the Judgement will be rescinded. Surely they can see th defence for ALL claims was received on time and this was on error on their part so I don!!!8217;t understand why it has been passed to a judge to made a decision?! They advised it could take 3-4 weeks

I have checked my credit file this morning and I have had a CCJ placed on there. I am absolutely FUMING!!! I have worked really hard to get my credit rating to a good position in order to purchase a house towards the end of the year and now this happens. Should the CCJ have been placed or should they have waited for the judges decision? Please help as this has really made me panick now.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The ccj will have gone on the register immediately it was issued, but the credit score agencies don't usually update on a daily basis, hence the delay in discovering it registered.

Complain to the court, and point out they already confirmed their error over this!
  • GolfR12
    So I have just spoken to someone from the Helpdesk (the first person hung up on me as he seemed to struggle with my query). The advisor I spoke to confirmed the judgement has been rescinded and will be removed from my credit rating within 3-4 weeks.

I asked the advisor why the CCJ was issued when the defence was filed on time, she advised it wasn’t processed so the claimant entered judgement.

Is it worth raising a complaint on the basis that had the defence been processed correctly then the claimant would not have entered judgement or is it completely pointless? This whole issue has caused me a lot of distress and inconvenience, numerous phone calls, affected my credit rating (I could have been applying for credit this month for all they know).

Thanks
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Completly pointless. Theyre chronically understaffed, so mistakes happen, and there is no realistic way to hold them to account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure