PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sending good vibes and hugs to you capella

karmacat, I sprout seeds all through winter and to the end of the hungry gap. I have done many varieties in the past but alpaca is far and away the easiest and very nutritious, lovely on peanut butter, in a salad or with cheese in a sandwich. There is a sprouting thread somewhere, gives all the basics. I use a very clever yet simple system that does not need rinsing after the first soak and rinse. Best I have ever used, however you can get decent results with a kilner jar but that needs rinsing 2-3 times a day
    https://www.juiceland.co.uk/easy-sprout-sprouter
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I can't start my garden until mid/end May, so am sitting drooling over plant sites now. I will grow the dreaded GREEN STUFF because it's handy for soup. Maybe some leeks, maybe some syboes.
  • KITTIE you've just made my day with your post! I KNOW it's a predictive typo that should read alfalfa but the thought of sprouting ALPACAS is absolutely enchanting, I will have a smile on my face for a long time because of that mental image, thank you xxx.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mrsL

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

me too. I`m not going to edit, everyone deserves a laugh
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks kittie, it made me smile too :D x
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D Thanks for not editing it away, kittie, sprouting alpacas is such a darling idea and has me grinning from ear to ear.

Cappella, I am sorry to hear that the feller and the pooch are not well atm, sending all good wishes for their recovery and we'll be here when you need us. I also enjoy your posts.

fuddle, I've successfully grown runner beans in those black plastic plant pots, the bucket type ones, got mine cheaply from morries years ago. Used a screw-eye in the yard's brick wall and ran strings up it, anchored the other end of the strings into the pot with tent pegs. It worked in a pocket-hanky back yard. This space was a sliver of concrete with a brick wall down one side and a block wall of a garage on the other, and had a linen line slung across the middle.

To give an idea of the (lack of) space, you had to fold a double sheet into quarters lengthwise before pegging it out or it's billow into one wall or the other.

Seconding the idea of shelves across windows, I have seen this successfully done many a time. If you can, get glass shelves with rounded edges and mount them across the window. This gives a lot of growing space and an attractive alternative to curtains, particularly if what's on the other side of the window is as lovely as my old view (the bins, basically).:rotfl:

Hopefully your yard is more sheltered that my old one, as it used to develop a wind vortex when the wind was blowing hard enough in certain quarters which could be ...... interesting with the pots. We never did find the blue plastic clamshell top off the sandpit and we looked over a substantial chunk of the neighbourhood.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    The yard seems much more sheltered than the green over yonder GQ. My neighbours have their lines over the lane and on the field. I need to check with the council and hopefully get permission to do this myself but the reason I mention it is I used next doors line today and it seems I need better pegs. (Any ideas?) I found DH's work shirt 100yds down field. I've not lost anything in the yard yet but I fear it's only a matter of time before I loose my plastic greenhouse.

Speaking of which we do have something growing right now. Yes, curtosy of my youngest we have dandelion seeds growing. They're to feed the rabbit. There's a bit of prepper in her isn't there? :D

I'm currently removing turf from my front garden. It gets a lot of sun and I'm trying to work out what to do with it. I really would use it for growing but it's next to a main road. If we ignore the risk of produce theft would you entertain any idea of growing next to a busy road in terms of pollution?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I've sometimes thought about this in relation to traffic, fuddle. My allotment is between a housing estate and a common, inside the city limits. It isn't that there's nose-to-tail traffic sat stationary immediately beside it, but there's enough pollution around.

But farmland is also in the same places as roads, so if you'd eat farm produce via the supermarkets without fretting if the exact field-of-origin was near a main road or not, perhaps it's not really too relevent to worry about the road outside your house. That's my take on it, anyway.

As to theft, I wouldn't put stuff like soft fruits or very easily-recognisable things like peas or beans out there, but you could be artful with some other veg.

F'rinstance, if you sow things almost as if they were bedding plants they'd not scream out that they were veggies. You could, just as an example, make a bed and edge it with those pretty frilly purple lettuces like Lollo Rosso, harvest them alternately, and still have them looking ornamental. You could also grow carrots in shapes where their ferny top-growth could mix in with other plants of the ornamental nature. Herbs are pretty easy to grow, expensive for what you get in the shops and add a lot of flavour and nutrients to your cooking, so perhaps that would be an option? They're mostly pretty unassuming lookers and I doubt many people will notice them lurking in flowerbeds.

If you're discreet about doing this, and discreet about harvesting, folks won't necessarily know you are growing veggies, there's a surprising degree of innocence about plant life and plenty of folks don't know or care what common plants look like.

:D You might want to treat your front garden as an exercise in guerilla gardening and see how many things you can grow which mingle with ornamentals and don't advertise themselves. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Most folks don't know what the actual plant looks like and wouldn't know a pea pod on the vine if they're only used to buying packets of frozen peas, would you be able to spot potato haulms in amongst mixed bedding plants? I bet most people wouldn't. You could make yourself a really productive little Potager or Forest Garden (have a look at the Permaculture archives for Forest Gardens) and use not just ground level but under the ground, leaves at ground level, bushes, shrubs, small trees and climbers all sharing the one bed and producing over the whole season. The forest garden would be perennial and the potager would be some and some annuals so you could have the option of always having something to harvest even if it was only herbs and bay leaves in the depths of winter.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2017 at 6:39PM
    Thank you, you've both given me a new idea to research. Suddenly garden planning is that bit more exciting. :D

Is it possible, do you think, to grow elder but keep it in check sizewise while still enabling it to produce berries?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure