The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Comments

• It worries me how debt seems to be a standard way of life for a lot of people, out of habit for some and out of necessity for others..

Meh to the joint pain, but perhaps find something more soothing to watch in future?
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2017 at 12:04PM
    It worries me how debt seems to be a standard way of life for a lot of people, out of habit for some and out of necessity for others..

Meh to the joint pain, but perhaps find something more soothing to watch in future?

Yes, definately. I think as a society we really need to get back to basics and what is really important. I remember working in retail some years back and the pressure put on staff to sell store cards was enormous. They didn't complain about sales figures too much but if you didn't open store cards they went mad.

Mmmmm. I think perhaps I will stick to reading.:rotfl: Or perhaps watching hoarders type programs. They get me cleaning and sorting.;)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Parsnip

I find sometimes these programmes are a bit intense. I completely agree that debt is a disaster and a crisis, but also, how often does life go from A to B? Sometimes despite all our best intentions people, good people, hit the wall, and I think sometimes, these hosts can be a little simplistic?

I think the only way it is truly possible to never have a bit of debt and never find your life out of control, is to never take a risk, to choose the safe, boring option at each juncture, and is that really living? I've read people before saying that you cant grow living in your comfort zone, and personally I agree.

Ha, I think I've just made myself feel better about my own precarious life in any case, sorry if its not the thread you are on today :)

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • parsniphead
    Thanks Bob. I hope you are doing better. You have been an inspiration.

I know what you mean and I could never live just in my comfort zone, I would get very bored, but the unnecessary debt makes me very nervous, especially with such a poorly paid job I have now. Ironically I have been solely self employed in the past with no other job and would like to go back to that. I understand the risks involved and the utter hard work but have always been a bit of a risk taker.

I shouldn't really have watched the program again as it looked at the very extremes of society and issues involved which may have led each person into debt and homelessness. Such sad, sad cases with many issues holding them back. I also think it may go back to my odd reacurring dream i ahead of being homeless with DS and on the run from being in police protection with villains after me. My imagination gets a bit out of hand sometimes.

That said if the fear of debt and uncertainty keeps me motivated and keeps me moving towards my goal of eventually ;) having no consumer debt and a paid of house which cannot be taken from me, well that's ok with me. Perhaps then the old, full on risk taker will come back.

Housewise today has been a washout mostly. I was too tired and sleepy to complete everything I wanted to but again I have made progress. Tomorrow is another day. :)

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Life can be so precarious and fragile so every opportunity needs to be taken to protect myself and my family. Debt needs to go, mortgage needs to be paid off and saving need to be saved.

This is not alright. Living in poverty or on the edges of it is not alright, for me, my family or anyone. I felt so desperately sad for anyone in this situation as well as scared.

We need to bomb proof ourselves. I have been here too long. I should have been out of debt years ago. I could have potentially paid off a big chunk of mortgage too and had savings. HOW BL00DY STUPID AM I!

Today I'm angry with me, angry with debt and will kick its @rse.

I am sorry for your pains but I am full of admiration for your approach to your pain

Once again Parsniphead you raise such interesting points. I like the idea of ‘bomb proofing’ our lives.

I too think I am living in poverty in some respects. I don’t have many of the things most people take for granted in the 21st century. I live without a cooker, a decent TV, a functioning bathroom and my home is in a state of disrepair. I cannot have people back to home despite loving to cook and host people. :o

I believe poverty is not just financial. I prefer to think, ’right now I have no money’ but I don’t have poverty of the imagination, or poverty of the spirit and neither do you. We have ability and tools to change our lives. (That’s how you found your emergency fund of almost £1,000.) All of us here can do remarkable things. I see that happening every day here. That is why MSE is such an uplifting space. We can all see that short term pain will be long term gain.

You are not stupid. You are the opposite. We all make mistakes but if we learn from them that's the most we can do.

I urge you not to be afraid for you and your son. He has you, so he will be more than okay and you are smart and resourceful and capable and your future looks bright. I believe my future looks bright too, but it is up to me and up to you to make the changes. We will :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    Thanks DIA.

What I want to know is how you do so much wonderful cooking without an oven. You must be a magician. I have a cooker and the stuff which comes out is awful.....more to do with the cook I think.:o

I'm grateful for what I have. My kitchen is awful, a complete nightmare, but one day I will be able to sort it. The mould is a constant battle due to condensation as the windows run in the winter. Once the double glazing is done hopefully that will be better. Plus loads more problems BUT I have a lot of what others don't. I'm lucky. I just get so sad for others when they are struggling due to no fault of their own. i guess we could all hold out our hands and offer help to people who need it.

I need to be calmer about debt. It's slowly, very slowly being sorted, but it's going. There was also a bit of a rlisation this morning that I have enough in my emergency fund to pay off overdraft and one debt or one larger debt. This are better than I imagine. I'm not spending it though as not having an emergency fund has led to so many problems.

Anyway time to get on. Have a good day all.

X

• clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks DIA.

What I want to know is how you do so much wonderful cooking without an oven. You must be a magician. I have a cooker and the stuff which comes out is awful.....more to do with the cook I think.:o

I'm grateful for what I have. My kitchen is awful, a complete nightmare, but one day I will be able to sort it. The mould is a constant battle due to condensation as the windows run in the winter. Once the double glazing is done hopefully that will be better. Plus loads more problems BUT I have a lot of what others don't. I'm lucky. I just get so sad for others when they are struggling due to no fault of their own. i guess we could all hold out our hands and offer help to people who need it.

I need to be calmer about debt. It's slowly, very slowly being sorted, but it's going. There was also a bit of a rlisation this morning that I have enough in my emergency fund to pay off overdraft and one debt or one larger debt. This are better than I imagine. I'm not spending it though as not having an emergency fund has led to so many problems.

Anyway time to get on. Have a good day all.

X

My emergency fund is quite small but I am loving having it as it making me way less anxious when I am coming towards the end of the month and funds are getting very tight.Just knowing I have savings there that can be dipped into if needed makes me feel so much better about things.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • i have been income free since March. I'm gonna have to dip into the emergency fund at month end and i'm dreading it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • parsniphead
    I bet you won't INOD, I bet you get work.

Im in the middle of a completely p'd off, rant and rage moods. I will be back lager shen calm.....well calmer. I will say I'm thinking of dearing my home as a seperate state.

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hey parsnip! How are you lovely? Need to catch up on your goings on. You used to be super kind posting on my thread. Will read through and return the favour. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure