Virgin Media - No phone line

Options
I signed up to a new broadband tv & phone deal with Virgin. They installed the broadband but told me I would have to wait until they could install a phone line as there was no lines available I they gave me a little compensation for the loss of the phone line for a couple of months. Anyway after 3 months they finally connected me a phone line(which was part of the contract) and then a few days latter they sent me a letter saying my new bill would be £40 (it was £30) a month as there had been a "change to the contract". Strange (we are talking virgin here) I asked to leave and cancel the contract but they stated I would have to pay a penalty fee of £120 pound as I was cancelling early(umm bullying tactics by Virgin with very dubious legal grounds) but they did agree to lower the bill back to the original contract £30
Now a week latter the phone line has stopped working again and they are unable to give me a date for when it will be fixed.

1. Can I legally cancel the contract with no exit fee as I feel they are breaking the Consumer Rights act 2015 as they have clearly broken their contract by not supplying me with a telephone line. They did try and tell me that as the tv and broadband was working that they are still meeting their contract but I had to point out to them it was one contract for all 3, I signed not 3 for each separate services(yet again virgin seem to find any way to worm there way out of their legal duties)

2 - Am I entitled to compensation from them if they refuse to waive the exit fee and insist on charging me an exit fee if I have to take it further

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <1. Can I legally cancel the contract with no exit fee as I feel they are breaking the Consumer Rights act 2015 as they have clearly broken their contract by not supplying me with a telephone line >

No as you have to give them the oportunity to fix /

<2 - Am I entitled to compensation from them if they refuse to waive the exit fee and insist on charging me an exit fee if I have to take it further>

No but that would depend upon your terms and conditions .
    Usual is you refuse to pay exit fees they trash your credit record and pass to debt recovery .

What have they actually said is the problem ??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Adrian1235 wrote: »
    we are talking virgin here
    If you have a particular axe to grind with Virgin, I'm not sure why you signed up with them in the first place?
    bullying tactics by Virgin with very dubious legal grounds
    I honestly can't see how you were "bullied".
    Can I legally cancel the contract with no exit fee as I feel they are breaking the Consumer Rights act 2015
    No, what you "feel" is not relevant. The letter of the law does not support your contention.
    They have NOT clearly broken their contract by not supplying you with a telephone line until you give them a reasonable opportunity to remedy the situation.
    Am I entitled to compensation from them if they refuse to waive the exit fee
    Why would they charge you an exit fee and then award you "compo"?:eek:
    The most likely result of you refusing to pay them is that you'll end up in court, I'm afraid.

Adjust your attitude and you may get a better result.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what were you expecting to pay for 3 services ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure